Sugar Intake To Increase Cholesterol? What's The Amount?

Hey guys. What's the best amount of sugar intake to do to increase cholosterol. My cholesterol got SCREWED on my last blood work. It dropped down near towards how bad it was when I first started. I also lost my vitamin D completely. I basically over supplemented with it, went over the range, and then it went really low.

So now I'm trying to reup the cholesterol. But I need to do it as fast as possible. I'm trying to solve this all ready, this is taking too long. So how much sugar do you guys think it will take. Two quarts? Three quarts? How many quarts of OJ per day to do it?

I'm usually drinking one glass of milk and one glass of orange juice together. Then I'll have random cheese and then random oysters, liver and coke. I'm not sure how to get it up. Maybe I'm not eating enough, but I'm gaining weight lol.

Brian

I wouldn't recommend a milk and OJ diet if you are gaining weight easily. If you don't have the cellular energy to regulate your electrolytes and body temperature, a liquid diet is very counterproductive in my experience. I love OJ and milk, but I think they could possibly be some of the worst staples when you are in a low cellular energy state. Then again in my experience also some of the best staples when cellular energy is high.

Unless you live somewhere that you are sweating all day long, does it really make sense to drink that much fluid?

Can low cholesterol also just be a symptom of decreased liver function from general low metabolism? I don't know, just a thought.

michael94

Yes this is systemic rather than a lack of sugar/dietary cholesterol I think. I think MOST of the resistance to the standard peat eating guidelines is due to poor alkaline mineral status, poor liver function, endotoxin burden, heavy metals, and pufa. Of course those are all related as well....Why not cut back on the oj milk, start with something basic like the broth of dark leafy greens for magnesium/calcium, a bit of liver/eggs, salt, properly made carrot salad, sunlight...then address your TRUE hunger from there with ripe fruit/milk/cheese/well cooked starch if tolerated etc.

FredSonoma

icecreamlover said:
post 118639 Yes this is systemic rather than a lack of sugar/dietary cholesterol I think. I think MOST of the resistance to the standard peat eating guidelines is due to poor alkaline mineral status, poor liver function, endotoxin burden, heavy metals, and pufa. Of course those are all related as well....Why not cut back on the oj milk, start with something basic like the broth of dark leafy greens for magnesium/calcium, a bit of liver/eggs, salt, properly made carrot salad, sunlight...then address your TRUE hunger from there with ripe fruit/milk/cheese/well cooked starch if tolerated etc.

This is really resonating with me, thank you. I'm sustaining on OJ and milk right now and I know it's not right. I'm just scared to change in general, and especially to try to eat starch. I want to try what you suggest, but I just cannot see myself feeling satisfied eating just that - I feel like I would be ravenous.

Could I possibly have this feeling of being ravenous BECAUSE I'm drinking so much liquid / diluting my blood? Something about what you suggest just feels right to me though.

I'm gaining a lot of weight I think, and my edema / stomach bloating seems to be getting worse.

Last edited by a moderator:

Velve921

I'm speaking purely from personal experience....during my first year of healing, I needed 500-600g of carbs from juice, milk, ice cream during the winter in order to keep temperature and pulse at 98.6/85-90. Coincidentally, it made my cholesterol get upto 220 from 160. My roommate started going heavy on the Orange juice and saw the same results with cholesterol. I put on muscle and fat, however, energy and mental clarity skyrocketed!

Coffee + coconut + gelatin + sugar also made a tremndous difference as well. I'm not saying what I did was the only way, however, after hearing peats views on pufa destroying cardiolipin it made sense that an immense amount of sugar supported by saturated fat and low pufa could be beneficial during pufa detox.

Also, I am religious with epsom salt baths, 7-14x a week in the first year, now 3-5 per week. I find it to work wonders with all my athletes.

What does everyone think?

michael94

FredSonoma said:
post 118650
icecreamlover said:
post 118639 Yes this is systemic rather than a lack of sugar/dietary cholesterol I think. I think MOST of the resistance to the standard peat eating guidelines is due to poor alkaline mineral status, poor liver function, endotoxin burden, heavy metals, and pufa. Of course those are all related as well....Why not cut back on the oj milk, start with something basic like the broth of dark leafy greens for magnesium/calcium, a bit of liver/eggs, salt, properly made carrot salad, sunlight...then address your TRUE hunger from there with ripe fruit/milk/cheese/well cooked starch if tolerated etc.

This is really resonating with me, thank you. I'm sustaining on OJ and milk right now and I know it's not right. I'm just scared to change in general, and especially to try to eat starch. I want to try what you suggest, but I just cannot see myself feeling satisfied eating just that - I feel like I would be ravenous.

Could I possibly have this feeling of being ravenous BECAUSE I'm drinking so much liquid / diluting my blood? Something about what you suggest just feels right to me though.

I'm gaining a lot of weight I think, and my edema / stomach bloating seems to be getting worse.

A lot of people that take the oj/milk approach to healing when they are in an inflamed state have the same troubles. There in many cases would be some benefit to restricting. By that I mean, rather than feeding your hunger with primarily OJ/milk, start with alkaline mineral sources ( magnesium/calcium/salt ), nutrition dense protein (liver/eggyolks/gelatin/low fat cheese ), and start combating endotoxin with daily carrot salads ( made the right way...peeled longitudinally, coco/olive oil, salt, vinegar ). Then if you are actually hungry following these things, use juice/milk etc. If you are not hungry, do not eat. This gives your liver/digestive system a much needed break while providing the materials to start making progress. Thyroid supplement/aspirin/niacinamide/high dose k2 should also speed things up and Ray recommends them for optimal healing.

Ray peat has mentioned in KMUD interviews that eating when you are not actually hungry ( maybe sometimes 'hunger' is desire for concentrated alkaline minerals/protein rather than several glasses of oj/milk ) is stressful to your processing systems and causes fat synthesis which is again stressful. He also mentions that water retention ( edema) as a general rule is a sign of some distress/harm being done to the body, so if you are retaining lots of water following a meal you are actually stressing your body through one or more pathways ( high amount of liquid, sugar needs to be processed by the liver, poorly digested food feeds bacteria and a rise in endotoxin, etc ).

Velve921

IceCreamLover,

I was given the impression that metabolic stimulators such as thyroid, aspirin, niacinamide can be helpful but also could be stressful on the body if not used with the appropiate amounts of food to support the stimulation?

For example,

Wouldn't taking 100mg of niacinamide without sufficient amounts of sugar be similar to drinking a cup of coffee black? It can have a high stress response as we are almost re teaching metabolic function?

Or if I started taking thyroid without food?

The right proteins and fats can be beneficial for metabolic function; however, if we as humans already have an issue with PUFA storage and/or high release of free fatty acids and breaking down muscle for energy, wouldn't we need to upregulate sugar with these metabolic stimulators in order to keep fatty acid release low?

I could be mistaken...let me know your thoughts!

Thanks.

michael94

Ewlevy1 said:
post 118679 IceCreamLover,

I was given the impression that metabolic stimulators such as thyroid, aspirin, niacinamide can be helpful but also could be stressful on the body if not used with the appropiate amounts of food to support the stimulation?

For example,

Wouldn't taking 100mg of niacinamide without sufficient amounts of sugar be similar to drinking a cup of coffee black? It can have a high stress response as we are almost re teaching metabolic function?

Or if I started taking thyroid without food?

The right proteins and fats can be beneficial for metabolic function; however, if we as humans already have an issue with PUFA storage and/or high release of free fatty acids and breaking down muscle for energy, wouldn't we need to upregulate sugar with these metabolic stimulators in order to keep fatty acid release low?

I could be mistaken...let me know your thoughts!

Thanks.

Yes they can and should be used cautiously, but thyroid especially can short circuit the stress metabolism very quickly and restore proper functioning/hunger. That is the words of Ray peat and my own experience. Still it stands that in a situation where one is not truly hungry for sugar/calories but rather protein/alkaline minerals/protective fats, they should not eat sugar in excess. I think it does more harm than good because of weak digestion/bacterial overgrowth/sluggish liver...It is all very individual especially with regards to the toxic environment one has built up (endotoxin/heavy metals/pufa). Also remember that intracellular magnesium is crucial to moving away from high free fatty acids to proper glucose utilization ( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15319146 ).

So if a popular approach is eat lots of sugar from the get go and use aspirin/niacinamide to keep FFA in check. I think that approach can be improved in many cases and I'm not saying to not drink OJ/milk if you are hungry but to be honest with yourself and get the more important stuff first...THEN eat to hunger.

Kray

icecreamlover said:
Yes this is systemic rather than a lack of sugar/dietary cholesterol I think. I think MOST of the resistance to the standard peat eating guidelines is due to poor alkaline mineral status, poor liver function, endotoxin burden, heavy metals, and pufa. Of course those are all related as well....Why not cut back on the oj milk, start with something basic like the broth of dark leafy greens for magnesium/calcium, a bit of liver/eggs, salt, properly made carrot salad, sunlight...then address your TRUE hunger from there with ripe fruit/milk/cheese/well cooked starch if tolerated etc.

Hope this doesn't segue too far afield, but since you mentioned carrot salad...

How important is it to eat the raw carrots as a salad with oil/vinegar, etc and peeled lengthwise, vs. whole and chewed well, sans dressing of some sort? I know this is Peat 101 stuff, but one of the reasons I haven't been consistent with carrot salad is that it is a bit of a chore during the course of a busy day :?

OP
mayweatherking
Brian said:
post 118637 I wouldn't recommend a milk and OJ diet if you are gaining weight easily. If you don't have the cellular energy to regulate your electrolytes and body temperature, a liquid diet is very counterproductive in my experience. I love OJ and milk, but I think they could possibly be some of the worst staples when you are in a low cellular energy state. Then again in my experience also some of the best staples when cellular energy is high.

Unless you live somewhere that you are sweating all day long, does it really make sense to drink that much fluid?

Can low cholesterol also just be a symptom of decreased liver function from general low metabolism? I don't know, just a thought.

Yes, this makes sense on paper, and I keep hearing this, but I have literally no idea what to eat. Seriously, what am I supposed to eat? Liver and eggs all day and what for carbs? Like everyone is very, very not explaining when they say what to eat. danny says to eat meat/fish and that's it. I don't know how to do that. I really don't know what to eat at all. I tried to do it, but I felt worse. I think I need to increase my cholesterol as high as possible by pushing down as much OJ as possible and then jumping on thyroid in order to handle it is my route right now. Although, I could be wrong, but I'm running out ofoptions here. My hair is falling out really bad, I don't know what to do.

I was eating honey alone and protein before and was doing bad as well. Only when I jumped on thyroid, I started to feel better, but my cholesterol dropped like a mother ****er and I wasn't taking D because it went up sooo high, so it dropped too. I esentially went back down to a really crappy state again.

Brian

mayweatherking said:
Yes, this makes sense on paper, and I keep hearing this, but I have literally no idea what to eat. Seriously, what am I supposed to eat? Liver and eggs all day and what for carbs? Like everyone is very, very not explaining when they say what to eat. danny says to eat meat/fish and that's it. I don't know how to do that. I really don't know what to eat at all. I tried to do it, but I felt worse. I think I need to increase my cholesterol as high as possible by pushing down as much OJ as possible and then jumping on thyroid in order to handle it is my route right now. Although, I could be wrong, but I'm running out ofoptions here. My hair is falling out really bad, I don't know what to do.

I do well on refined salty starch, meat, eggs, and green vegetables. It must apparently be what my body needs, but it's not exactly clear to me why some people do better on these foods than milk and OJ. My hunch is that some people need sodium, magnesium, and zinc more than they need calcium and copper in order to bring their minerals into balance. Have you ever tried a diet like this for a few weeks and noticed any difference?

OP
mayweatherking
Brian said:
post 119076
mayweatherking said:

I do well on refined salty starch, meat, eggs, and green vegetables. It must apparently be what my body needs, but it's not exactly clear to me why some people do better on these foods than milk and OJ. My hunch is that some people need sodium, magnesium, and zinc more than they need calcium and copper in order to bring their minerals into balance. Have you ever tried a diet like this for a few weeks and noticed any difference?

What do you do for carbs? I'm not sure what I need exactly. I think I need thyroid the most. I mean, my prolactin and PTH are high, which shows me I'm not getting enough calcium. I take salt with my food, sometimes it makes my scalp itch. I think my biggest problem is getting bowel movements to happen. when I take thyroid, it forces my bowel movements to go through. salp itch stops at that point. This is bad man. I'm gonna be bald soon if I don't do something quick. I've been losing this whole time. Lol. Fuuuuuck

Brian

mayweatherking said:
What do you do for carbs? I'm not sure what I need exactly. I think I need thyroid the most. I mean, my prolactin and PTH are high, which shows me I'm not getting enough calcium. I take salt with my food, sometimes it makes my scalp itch. I think my biggest problem is getting bowel movements to happen. when I take thyroid, it forces my bowel movements to go through. salp itch stops at that point. This is bad man. I'm gonna be bald soon if I don't do something quick. I've been losing this whole time. Lol. Fuuuuuck

My carbs: rice, bread, potatoes. Smaller amounts of juice and fruit.

PTH confuses me too. In theory thyroid + pregnenolone should help someone build up intracellular magnesium quickly and manage other minerals well too. But in practice it doesn't always seem to be that easy and I don't know why. One line of thinking is that loading up on vitamin D and calcium is not always enough to bring PTH down. For some people it seems they are better off decreasing calcium intake and focusing on magnesium and K2 instead for at least a few months.

Decreasing endotoxin seems to be a big part of the puzzle as well. But I haven't ever really tried anything specific for that other than getting lots of sunlight, which greatly increases the quality of my digestion.

OP
mayweatherking
Brian said:
post 119076
mayweatherking said:

Brian, I think you might have a point. So I had some really insane scalp itch before. I randomly decided to spray some magnesium oil on my legs just to see what happened and it went away within 10 minutes. I wonder if too much calcium and not enough magnesium is part of my problem? I'm not sure. I am drinking a lot of OJ, maybe it's not hitting me or something. I also have really, really bad fungus starting to apear on my chest again since I stopped thyroid. I think once I can get my cholesterol high enough, then the fungus starts to drop off.

I see patterns though for sure. Wish I had more hair though for more time to figure this out. Been at it since august peating. DAmn.

tara

mayweatherking said:
post 119074 Although, I could be wrong, but I'm running out ofoptions here.
There are many more options for you to try.
Its not easy for any one to know exactly what you should eat. You can see what others say we eat, and try a few variations and see what seems to work best for you.
E.g. personally, I think I do better on days when I eat potatoes than when I don't. And there are others who fare well with spuds. But some people are sensitive to solanine, and some to starch, and do better avoiding.

mayweatherking said:
post 119081I randomly decided to spray some magnesium oil on my legs just to see what happened and it went away within 10 minutes. I wonder if too much calcium and not enough magnesium is part of my problem?
By all means try making the Mg a habit, at least daily.

OP
mayweatherking
tara said:
post 119147
mayweatherking said:
post 119074 Although, I could be wrong, but I'm running out ofoptions here.
There are many more options for you to try.
Its not easy for any one to know exactly what you should eat. You can see what others say we eat, and try a few variations and see what seems to work best for you.
E.g. personally, I think I do better on days when I eat potatoes than when I don't. And there are others who fare well with spuds. But some people are sensitive to solanine, and some to starch, and do better avoiding.

mayweatherking said:
post 119081I randomly decided to spray some magnesium oil on my legs just to see what happened and it went away within 10 minutes. I wonder if too much calcium and not enough magnesium is part of my problem?
By all means try making the Mg a habit, at least daily.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I will keep doing it.

However, I think I know my problem now. My problem is 100% bowel movements. Everytime my hair starts itching, I start feeling like my world is collapsing. Like super depressed, low energy, can't think straight, like I'm on Mars or something. Once I have a bowel movement, it's like, the light turns on again. I feel normal all of a sudden and no longer completely out of it and my hair stops itching too lol. And I start getting hungry again. Then it restarts again and I feel like I'm on mars. Lol.

I think coffee is helping with that situation. That is my main problem I'm pretty sure now.

tara

Yeah, constipation is worth attending to. If coffee is doing it, that's good. Regular Mg may help with this too. Chronic undereating tends to slow things down. Or there may be specific foods that are irritating your system and causing inflammation that slows it down.

Momado965

I'm speaking purely from personal experience....during my first year of healing, I needed 500-600g of carbs from juice, milk, ice cream during the winter in order to keep temperature and pulse at 98.6/85-90. Coincidentally, it made my cholesterol get upto 220 from 160. My roommate started going heavy on the Orange juice and saw the same results with cholesterol. I put on muscle and fat, however, energy and mental clarity skyrocketed!

Coffee + coconut + gelatin + sugar also made a tremndous difference as well. I'm not saying what I did was the only way, however, after hearing peats views on pufa destroying cardiolipin it made sense that an immense amount of sugar supported by saturated fat and low pufa could be beneficial during pufa detox.

Also, I am religious with epsom salt baths, 7-14x a week in the first year, now 3-5 per week. I find it to work wonders with all my athletes.

What does everyone think?

Same here. The mental clarity is just crazy! Tho I needed and still do a bit more carbs 600-700. 80 percent of that is sugar in a combination of juice, milk, white sugar, fruits and honey and the rest is starch. I noticed when my sugar intake is bit higher I require less sa;t. Also irrespective of all that; I noticed magnesium decreases my nneed for salt as well.

Last edited:

accelerator

Same here. The mental clarity is just crazy! Tho I needed and still do a bit more carbs 600-700. 80 percent of that is sugar in a combination of juice, milk, white sugar, fruits and honey and the rest is starch. I noticed when my sugar intake is bit higher I require less sa;t. Also irrespective of all that; I noticed magnesium decreases my nneed for salt as well.

Wow.....did you have to make yourself eat that much, or was it just from eating to appetite?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals