I Love Cyproheptadine

bionicheart

Yeah I'd say the sleep problems started with me having my eczema flare ups at night..
I'm only 19.. I've heard that cypro can completely inhibit growth hormone, something that for me with a small possibility of growth is not desirable .. do you think the effect on growth hormone would be permanent or would it be back to normal when stopping the drug?
I'm not sure, I have no personal experience with it, you could ask haduit or search "cyproheptadine, growth hormone" on the forum for more info. i'm not sure, but you're pretty young so I would be careful if I were in your shoes.

Gametime

@haidut do you think it's possible for the cypro to cause permanent lowering of growth hormone or would it just be while taking it and resume to normal after?

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut do you think it's possible for the cypro to cause permanent lowering of growth hormone or would it just be while taking it and resume to normal after?

I don't think anything is permanent in the sense of cypro damaging something in the pituitary. But it can reset the organism to a higher metabolic point, which has the effects of lowering the HGH levels to a lower average than the person had before. And if metabolism tanks, HGH will probably go back up.

Gametime

I don't think anything is permanent in the sense of cypro damaging something in the pituitary. But it can reset the organism to a higher metabolic point, which has the effects of lowering the HGH levels to a lower average than the person had before. And if metabolism tanks, HGH will probably go back up.

Thanks for that Georgi .. I think the studies I read were for taking 5mg plus..

Do you think it would be a bad idea for a 19 year old to take it at 0.5mg - 2mg doses maybe a few nights a week when sleep is at it's absolute worse in terms of the lowered growth hormone effect? Had terrible sleep the last few months which I should imagine does no favours for growth hormone..

haidut

Forum Supporter
Thanks for that Georgi .. I think the studies I read were for taking 5mg plus..

Do you think it would be a bad idea for a 19 year old to take it at 0.5mg - 2mg doses maybe a few nights a week when sleep is at it's absolute worse in terms of the lowered growth hormone effect? Had terrible sleep the last few months which I should imagine does no favours for growth hormone..

It was developed as an antihistamine for children, who presumably have a much bigger need for HGH, and it did not stunt their growth in the 4mg-8mg doses prescribed. So, it should not have much HGH effects in the sub 2mg doses, which is what Peat recommends anyways. If there is a way to test for HGH before/after that would help determine if it is suppressing it too much.

Gametime

It was developed as an antihistamine for children, who presumably have a much bigger need for HGH, and it did not stunt their growth in the 4mg-8mg doses prescribed. So, it should not have much HGH effects in the sub 2mg doses, which is what Peat recommends anyways. If there is a way to test for HGH before/after that would help determine if it is suppressing it too much.
Great thanks Haidut! So glad you've cleared this up for me..

D

Deleted member 5487

Cypro makes my hair loss worse unless I only take like .5mg or 1mg.

Holy! I was looking for someone with a similar experience!
I lost like 1/4 inch on my temples! and am only 22. I have been steady NW2

Did it grow back?

lampofred

Holy! I was looking for someone with a similar experience!
I lost like 1/4 inch on my temples! and am only 22. I have been steady NW2

Did it grow back?

Yeah, I didn't use cypro for very long, and I do several other things that increase D2 activity

CaliforniaKat

@bionicheart @DaveFoster

I know this is an older thread, but it relates to what I'm going through now. High seretonin, likely high cortisol too, poor sleep, gut issues, morning anxiety.

I take 7.5 mg of Mirtazapine for sleep, and have for 7 months or so. I've considered moving over to Cypro. But don't know how to do so. I've discussed it with the prescribing doc, but he thinks Cypro is only used for seretonin syndrome (in the US) and won't really talk about it with me.

Did you watch over from Mirt to Cypro? If so, how did you do it? I know Dave has taken both at the same time, as he mentioned in a different thread.

Sorry for the tag without asking first. I'd greatly appreciate anything you'd be willing to share here or in a PM.

DaveFoster

@bionicheart @DaveFoster

I know this is an older thread, but it relates to what I'm going through now. High seretonin, likely high cortisol too, poor sleep, gut issues, morning anxiety.

I take 7.5 mg of Mirtazapine for sleep, and have for 7 months or so. I've considered moving over to Cypro. But don't know how to do so. I've discussed it with the prescribing doc, but he thinks Cypro is only used for seretonin syndrome (in the US) and won't really talk about it with me.

Did you watch over from Mirt to Cypro? If so, how did you do it? I know Dave has taken both at the same time, as he mentioned in a different thread.

Sorry for the tag without asking first. I'd greatly appreciate anything you'd be willing to share here or in a PM.
There's some overlap, but cyproheptadine has an antipsychotic action and has been shown to treat the symptoms of schizophrenia. Whereas the second-generation antipsychotics can cause irreversible extrapyramidal symptoms, such as tardive dyskinesia, cyproheptadine has not been shown to cause such negative effects.

They both act as sedatives, but cyproheptadine burdens the liver more if I recall. My doctor wasn't worried about the interaction but stopped my prescription because she did not want to use it to treat off-label symptoms.

Last edited:

CaliforniaKat

There's some overlap, but cyproheptadine has an antipsychotic action and has been shown to treat the symptoms of schizophrenia. Whereas the second-generation antipsychotics can cause irreversible extrapyramidal symptoms, such as tardive dyskinesia, cyproheptadine has not been shown to cause such negative effects.

They both act as sedatives, but cyproheptadine burdens the liver more if I recall. My doctor wasn't worried about the interaction but stopped my prescription because she did not want to use it to treat off-label symptoms.

Thank you so much for responding. I wasn't looking to take both, but wondered if Cypro would be more beneficial compared to Mirtazapine, so maybe switching from one to the other instead. If I were to do so, it would be doing so on my own, without doc.

DaveFoster

Thank you so much for responding. I wasn't looking to take both, but wondered if Cypro would be more beneficial compared to Mirtazapine, so maybe switching from one to the other instead. If I were to do so, it would be doing so on my own, without doc.
Both drugs treat the symptoms you listed, but mirtazapine has a stronger effect toward easing anxiety, loose stools and sleep induction. Cyproheptadine's mainly used as an appetite-stimulant, and also as a treatment of allergies and insomnia.

frant26

I take 7.5 mg of Mirtazapine for sleep

Are you used to that 7.5mg dosage? Fortunately I take it every once in a while and half a milligram (500mcg) knocks me out and I don't feel like a zombie the next day. I couldn't believe it worked because I started with 4-5mg.

@DaveFoster thanks so much for the mirtazapine recommendation, it has been a life saver.

DaveFoster

Are you used to that 7.5mg dosage? Fortunately I take it every once in a while and half a milligram (500mcg) knocks me out and I don't feel like a zombie the next day. I couldn't believe it worked because I started with 4-5mg.

@DaveFoster thanks so much for the mirtazapine recommendation, it has been a life saver.
No problem.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals