When To Take Es Calcium And Thyroid Meds?

Tourist

will the lessons ever end?? As I was drinking a glass od oj I took my t3& 4 while searching for info on my newly prescribed cytomel.

First warning was to take away from oj and calcium supplements

Day before I made some egg shell calcium and read to take it 3x a day with meals. Trying to see if adding calcium will help with sleep.

How can I take calcium far enough away from thyroid meds but with food? I find that I currently need to eat every two hours and at bedtime.

HDD

Previous posts about calcium with thyroid meds-
Heather said:
@peatarian -- thank you for your very thoughtful response. Using the progesterone is a little scary to me because hormones are powerful and I feel a like I'm experimenting on myself. It's reassuring to get input from someone who is very experienced with taking it.

I will definitely focus on getting more calcium. Because I can't have dairy (I have a casein intolerance) I've been struggling to get enough calcium. Since I take NDT and you are not supposed to have calcium supplements for several hours before and after taking them, then I can only take them at night, and if I have red meat, then I don't want to take vit C at the same time, but then the calcium doesn't get absorbed very well--Aarrgghh! If only I could have dairy--or not take the stupid thyroid! Anyway, I've been doing all the other supplements that you suggest, and those are fine, but I definitely think I'm not getting enough calcium.

*** Yes, I hear that about milk all the time. I still haven't found anything convincing about the lactose free kind. I think this reaction has a lot to do with bacterial overgrowth. Do you have charcoal? It's good to use it every third day before going to bed. It reduces bacteria potently. Until you can consume enough milk, you should supplement with eggshell powder to get the needed amount of calcium.

*** The link you sent me (thank you) is not convincing. I have never heard of trouble with eating or drinking anything and using thyroid at the same time (or experienced anything like that myself). If thyroid does not work, increase your salt intake to lower PTH and increase protein (or the active T3 cannot be effective).

Feedbacks And Opinions On My Progest-E Usage

Further down in this thread Peatarian posts a fb reply about calcium with thyroid and then states that she sees where calcium carbonate can be a problem but not eggshell calcium.

OP
Tourist

Tourist

You're so cool to post such exact info to my question--thank you!

How long have u been taking calcium with your thyroid med? How are u feeling? Do u notice a difference any way?

Heather said:
@peatarian -- thank you for your very thoughtful response. Using the progesterone is a little scary to me because hormones are powerful and I feel a like I'm experimenting on myself. It's reassuring to get input from someone who is very experienced with taking it.

I will definitely focus on getting more calcium. Because I can't have dairy (I have a casein intolerance) I've been struggling to get enough calcium. Since I take NDT and you are not supposed to have calcium supplements for several hours before and after taking them, then I can only take them at night, and if I have red meat, then I don't want to take vit C at the same time, but then the calcium doesn't get absorbed very well--Aarrgghh! If only I could have dairy--or not take the stupid thyroid! Anyway, I've been doing all the other supplements that you suggest, and those are fine, but I definitely think I'm not getting enough calcium.

*** Yes, I hear that about milk all the time. I still haven't found anything convincing about the lactose free kind. I think this reaction has a lot to do with bacterial overgrowth. Do you have charcoal? It's good to use it every third day before going to bed. It reduces bacteria potently. Until you can consume enough milk, you should supplement with eggshell powder to get the needed amount of calcium.

*** The link you sent me (thank you) is not convincing. I have never heard of trouble with eating or drinking anything and using thyroid at the same time (or experienced anything like that myself). If thyroid does not work, increase your salt intake to lower PTH and increase protein (or the active T3 cannot be effective).

Further down in this thread Peatarian posts a fb reply about calcium with thyroid and then states that she sees where calcium carbonate can be a problem but not eggshell calcium.
Heather said:

M

marikay

I asked Ray about this very subject. He said that while the calcium may slow down absorption of the T4 and the T3, that is actually a good thing. So he said not to worry about it. So I don't :)

OP
Tourist

Tourist

Do you have the email exchange posted by chance?

I asked Ray about this very subject. He said that while the calcium may slow down absorption of the T4 and the T3, that is actually a good thing. So he said not to worry about it. So I don't :)

redlight

Take thyroid medicine one hour before eating anything and avoid calcium for at least a few hours of before or after taking thyroid.

redlight

My FT3 was increased from 3.1 to 3.7 just be taking them on an empty stomach away from all food.

HDD

You're so cool to post such exact info to my question--thank you!

How long have u been taking calcium with your thyroid med? How are u feeling? Do u notice a difference any way?

You're welcome! It was from posts by Peatarian that I remembered so it was easy to find.

Since the instructions I used for taking thyroid (from Peat's email replies) did not mention taking thyroid away from calcium, it wasn't a concern. But I rarely supplement calcium. I eat quite a bit of cheese, eat some Greek yogurt, have a few glasses of milk, and eat well cooked greens.

I feel ok. No complaints. I've been under quite a bit of stress, so I think I'm running on stress hormones right now. I've been attempting to work on this a bit lately.

Do you have the email exchange posted by chance?

I would like to know this too.