Best, Least Allergenic/endotoxic Fruits?

Cirion

See title.

I seem to get a bad reaction to bananas, and pineapple doesn't sit too well with me either after more than about half of a pineapple (the bromelain in it). I think durianrider/bananagirl say to wait until the banana starts to have black spots - maybe then it'll be safer to eat the banana? I might try that, might as well... better than completely wasting the rest of the bananas I bought.

I am trying to eat a LOT of fruit, so any fruit like pineapple is a no-go for me, since I can eat such a limited amount.

I like apples, but unfortunately the skin is pretty pesticide heavy.

Just re-read from the WIKI while typing this thread (these are quotes from Ray Peat himself in email exchange):

Bananas and jack-fruit are strong allergens, possibly because of their cultivation methods. Mangos, apples, and pears are allergenic to some people. Poorly ripened fruits of all sorts should be avoided.

[Safe fruits] Corossol, lychee, longan, guava, papaya, pawpaw, sapota, guanabana. Some frozen and canned fruits are good; applesauce, corossol, guanabana, longans, and lychees for example. Forum Discussion

[Salicylic acid intolerance] The fruits you mention all seriously increase serotonin. A sore throat is a quick effect, but some people get migraines from them. The pectin in raw apples causes the intestine to release serotonin into the blood, so well cooked apples have much less effect. Fruits contain almost no salicylic acid. (Reference)

[I think you have stated that the best fruits, if properly grown, are oranges, watermelons, and grapes. Is guava close to them in quality?] Yes, they rank with oranges for their protective qualities.

So, oranges, watermelons, and grapes are the best eh? I've never even seen corossol, guanabana, longans, lychees, pawpaw, sapota, gaunabana in my stores before so most of those are ruled out... I have seen papaya and guavas though.

What about cantelope? I like the taste of that.

Jennifer

Yep, most of the starch will have converted to sugar when a banana is spotted like a leopard.

Melons are great! From a Peaty perspective, it's easy to avoid their seeds. :) Galia (a hybrid of cantaloupe and honeydew) and Canary melons make up the majority of my diet most of the year. I only eat cantaloupes during the summer because I find that more often than not, they're not ripe but instead hard as a rock. They're flesh should drip of juice and melt in your mouth when ripe.

Mangoes are great if you can find ripe ones – should be sugary sweet and soft, and aren't allergic to them. The stem has a sap that some people react to like poison ivy. I'm one of those people so I have to limit how much of them I eat, but fail miserably when there's a great crop. I just finished a 2 week binge on sugary sweet Ataulfos and ended up with the "poison ivy" rash all over my fingers and mouth. What a way to acquire it, though. lol

Ripe jackfruit is also great IMO. I've been eating a lot of it lately. One of my all time favorite smoothie combinations is jackfruit and coconut cream. If the JF isn't ripe, again sugary sweet and soft, I get bloating due to the tougher fiber when not ripe, but no allergic reactions that I can think of.

Grapes, oranges, watermelon, again if they're ripe, are all great IMO. Really, most ripe fruit is as long as you tolerate it fine.

X3CyO

Grapes

Mossy

I'm pretty sensitive to fruit as well--all food, for that matter.

I just had a partly ripe mango today and I'm still dealing with the starch.

Because of the small window of readiness of many fruits really being Peat-ready, I like the idea of dried apricots, always ready to go, and sugary. Also, high in potassium. I'm fairly new with Peating, so I can't suggest these with any Peatrarian authority, but they seem to be good to me; and, a good contributor towards the hard to fulfill RDA of potassium.

lvysaur

Ripe jackfruit is also great IMO. I've been eating a lot of it lately. One of my all time favorite smoothie combinations is jackfruit and coconut cream.

Ripe Jackfruit smells way better than it tastes. That is to say that it tastes great, but it smells indescribably good.

Kind of like pancakes in that respect

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Thanks for all the tips. Yeah at the end of the day, if it makes you feel good when you eat it, it's probably fine, and if not, probably best to avoid/limit it.

Lol @ poison ivy rash! Sounds like a fun time (not)

*edit*

Today I've tried some watermelon. Holy moley! I think I see why ray peat recommends them now...

I had OJ, milk this morning. But after I ate a whole watermelon (3 lb worth), I'm so freaking hot!!! Checked my temperature and it's almost 100 degrees....HR 100 BPM as well...

Last edited:

Jennifer

@Ivysaur – Yeah, its smell is pretty intoxicating.

@Cirion – Watermelon makes me hot, too. 3lbs? Impressive!

raypeatclips

I'm pretty sensitive to fruit as well--all food, for that matter.

I just had a partly ripe mango today and I'm still dealing with the starch.

Because of the small window of readiness of many fruits really being Peat-ready, I like the idea of dried apricots, always ready to go, and sugary. Also, high in potassium. I'm fairly new with Peating, so I can't suggest these with any Peatrarian authority, but they seem to be good to me; and, a good contributor towards the hard to fulfill RDA of potassium.

Mango's don't contain starch according to nutrition websites. Could it be the fiber?

Mangos, raw Nutrition Facts & Calories

Mossy

Mango's don't contain starch according to nutrition websites. Could it be the fiber?

Mangos, raw Nutrition Facts & Calories
Yeah, I'll go with fiber--whatever that semi-ripe stringy texture was. Anything that is less than soft sugary ripe, is murder on my system. I've read through @Amazoniac 's recent Turkish prison bowels thread, and I've added some phyllium husk instead of wheat bran--wow, I won't being doing that again. I think I need to obey the rules, and just go with wheat bran; though, from what I read, it can be just as bad, if not worse, on a poor digestive tract.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals