Lactose Free Milk

Makrosky

Yeah, I think Ray's claim that you don't absorv calcium well from lactose free milk is exaggerated. Mittir posted a good study about it. And if it would be true, still you would get lots of other benefits and SOME of the calcium if not all.

I drink lactose free milk and it seems ok. I think they only add lactase so when you drink the milk all the lactose is already broken down to glucose and galactose.

The brand I buy from (I think the biggest in my country) lists exactly the same ingredients and nutrient facts (carbs, fat, protein) as the one with lactose. The only difference is that they include "lactase" in the ingredient list. So I'm pretty sure it's the same milk.

johnwester130

My digestion is much better on lactose free milk , even better than goat milk.

This stuff is the real deal and definitely worth considering

nbznj

I think the lactose "intolerance" people seem to acquire as they age goes into the context of a damaged gut function, where enterocytes do not provide sufficient digestive enzymes for di/polysaccharides breakdown. So that's one thing lactose-free milk provides: a source of sugar that is already broken down.

People seem to feel vastly better when they don't drink dairy under any form though, since pasteurization and animal health are often thrown under the bus. Raw dairy is superior to pasteurized, I think we all agree on it. At the very least get non homogenized milk. Organic grass fed is superior to pesticide-laden, grain fed. Pesticide use is most definitely explaining why people also feel vastly better when they remove grains from their diet (on top of the compromised gut function I mentioned above)

Kunder

Even if you drink lactose free milk it is a good idea to drink regular milk periodically to retain the body's ability to create lactase. Unless you are literaly outright lactose intolerant.

I drink a liter of lactose free and a cup of regular milk every day. Given the sweet taste of the lactose free one, the regular milk tastes like cow's **** in comparisson. Never though I'd say that about milk.

johnwester130

I think the lactose "intolerance" people seem to acquire as they age goes into the context of a damaged gut function, where enterocytes do not provide sufficient digestive enzymes for di/polysaccharides breakdown. So that's one thing lactose-free milk provides: a source of sugar that is already broken down.

People seem to feel vastly better when they don't drink dairy under any form though, since pasteurization and animal health are often thrown under the bus. Raw dairy is superior to pasteurized, I think we all agree on it. At the very least get non homogenized milk. Organic grass fed is superior to pesticide-laden, grain fed. Pesticide use is most definitely explaining why people also feel vastly better when they remove grains from their diet (on top of the compromised gut function I mentioned above)

raw milk is a problem for most people.

Milk should be boiled before drinking it anyway,

You only need the milk for some easy calcium and maybe protein, if you get this elsewhere, then you don't need dairy

Kunder

Could you just buy lactase and add it to regular milk?

I would not recomend this to someone who is lactose intolerant, but if you just want to reduce the amount of lactose, it is perfectly fine. Lactase is available in liquid drops form.

Why bother though when a lactose free milk costs almost the same as regular.

cyclops

You only need the milk for some easy calcium and maybe protein, if you get this elsewhere, then you don't need dairy

I find it very difficult to get protein without dairy, but Im shooting for 150 grams+ a day. There are really not too many protein options on a Peat diet. You don't want to eat lots of meat. I only eat an egg or two a day. I'm not gonna consume crazy amounts of gelatin.

The only other place to really get calcium is greens right? I mean without taking a supplement.

cyclops

I would not recomend this to someone who is lactose intolerant, but if you just want to reduce the amount of lactose, it is perfectly fine. Lactase is available in liquid drops form.

I don't know I never tried lactase or lactose free milk. I thought maybe it could be beneficial for someone who wants to have both reg milk and lactose free. So maybe they could just buy regular milk and drink some of it plain and add the lactase to some, this way they get the benefits of both. Also if they get good quality regular milk and weren't sure of the quality of the lactose free one maybe lactase could be helpful. Also maybe you can get higher quality lactase separate then the ones they normally add to milk, but I dont know.

nbznj

because usually the lactose free milk is garbage quality, homogenized, grain fed cows. I don't touch Lactaid or Natrel.

@johnwester130 Raw milk is only (maybe) a problem because of people being sick, not because of the product itself. Your analysis of milk based on a couple of macro nutrients and calcium is short sighted at best, it's a much more complex food with close to no equivalents in nature. Do more research.

Kunder

because usually the lactose free milk is garbage quality, homogenized, grain fed cows. I don't touch Lactaid or Natrel.

@johnwester130 Raw milk is only (maybe) a problem because of people being sick, not because of the product itself. Your analysis of milk based on a couple of macro nutrients and calcium is short sighted at best, it's a much more complex food with close to no equivalents in nature. Do more research.

I bet you can start a car engine with a q-tip. Good for you man. I look up to people like you.

johnwester130

raw milk , and most milk , is traditionally boiled before use. and it should be

So the concept of raw milk is totally pointless

michael94

If you are very depleted, you can do more work with a hammer than a sledgehammer. Dont want to throw out your back or be otherwise impractical

nbznj

raw milk , and most milk , is traditionally boiled before use. and it should be

So the concept of raw milk is totally pointless

it seems hard to discuss about food industry poisoning vs preparing your own foods from the raw ingredient these days

So the concept of pasteurized homogenized milk isn't pointless? The concept of grain fed cows isn't pointless? Adding vitamin A+D to reduced fat milk + eventually carrageenan to most dairy isn't pointless?

RobertJM

I don't understand how everyone is liking the smell and taste of this stuff. I find it really repulsive. Even leaving the lid off I smell it constantly. I've tried three 'lactose free' milks now, and it's the same smell/taste. And you guys are saying this is sweet? I wish it was sweet. I've just drank a quart and it's flawless digestion. But can I bring myself to take on this smell/taste each day? I'm not sure I can. Adding cocoa, maple syrup, salt or anything else does nothing to disguise its fragrance.

RobertJM

Ok so a brief google search and it seems some people notice a sweet taste/smell and then there the other unfortunate people like me who just smell/taste something very funky.

A weird phenomenon.