Singer Elliott Smith Lived On Ice Cream

uuy8778yyi

I found this fact interesting

It seems like people are drawn to this food, just because it is so agreeable and nourishing

The guy was mentally unstable...he was completely unbalanced, hardly agreeable and well nourished. What's your point?

Zachs

Well I eat a pint a day pretty regularly.it's definitely a great way to add calories and nutrients. Definitely nourishing if you get the right brand, milk, cream,eggs, sugar and vanilla. I add salt and blackstrap on top!

Integral

A group of guys I hung out with at Uni listened to a bit of Elliot Smith. One day my mate Kieran brought up his suicide, stating 'I can't imagine how much of a depressed bastard he must have been. Like he wanted to die so badly he stabbed himself in the heart, took the knife out and stabbed himself again!'

Elephanto

I would expect suicidal tendencies and depression as the outcome of ingesting so much carrageenan.

Sheik

Whenever I eat an entire container of Haagen Dazs I don't feel so well (and it's always Chocolate, Vanilla, or Coffee). It doesn't matter that it's supposedly got good ingredients.

theLaw

>be depressed
>suddenly make a lot of money
>get killed by your girlfriend

Typical.

Appears that he stabbed himself. From Wikipedia:

"The coroner reported that no traces of illegal substances or alcohol were found in Smith's system at the time of his death but did find prescribed levels of antidepressant, anxiolytic, and ADHD medications, including Clonazepam, Mirtazapine, Atomoxetine, and Amphetamine.[73] There were no hesitation wounds, which are typical of suicide by self-infliction. However, the authorities do not seem to be investigating the case further."

Many people thought that it was his girlfriend, but his history of serious mental illness was well-documented.

Artie Lange from the Howard Stern show did something similar, but lived.

"On January 2, 2010, Lange attempted suicide for the second time at his home by drinking bleach, slitting his wrists, and stabbing himself in the abdomen nine times with a 13-inch kitchen knife."

Repas du soir

Appears that he stabbed himself. From Wikipedia:

"The coroner reported that no traces of illegal substances or alcohol were found in Smith's system at the time of his death but did find prescribed levels of antidepressant, anxiolytic, and ADHD medications, including Clonazepam, Mirtazapine, Atomoxetine, and Amphetamine.[73] There were no hesitation wounds, which are typical of suicide by self-infliction. However, the authorities do not seem to be investigating the case further."

Many people thought that it was his girlfriend, but his history of serious mental illness was well-documented.

Artie Lange from the Howard Stern show did something similar, but lived.

"On January 2, 2010, Lange attempted suicide for the second time at his home by drinking bleach, slitting his wrists, and stabbing himself in the abdomen nine times with a 13-inch kitchen knife."

Dang. Poor Artie.

I found this article quite interesting:

Five Reasons Why Elliott Smith’s Death Is Probably Not A Suicide:

theLaw

Dang. Poor Artie.

I found this article quite interesting:

Five Reasons Why Elliott Smith’s Death Is Probably Not A Suicide:

That's interesting. Hadn't seen that - Thanks!:D

There does appear to be motive on the part of his girlfriend who sued for 15% of his estate after his death, but her timeline of 5-10min in the shower/bathroom along with rushing him to the hospital, doesn't sound like the actions of someone who wanted him dead. Why not 20min or more just to make sure?

Here is another view from a redditor:

I see it as a suicide, with little doubt in my mind.

Stabbing oneself is an uncommon way to commit suicide, and twice is even less common. But it happens.

It's the simplest, most likely scenario.

• Smith had a history of depression.
  • Six prescription meds were listed in the toxicology report. All six can cause hallucinations, psychosis, and/or suicidal ideation.
  • Some people in his life say that in period before his death Smith was happier and "more like himself." This is quite common in suicides. The suicidal person is often much happier once the decision to commit suicide has been made. They have felt depressed and without control in their lives, and now they have control over a decision only they can make.
As a side note, one of the meds he was on was Gabapentin (Neurontin). Even when working just as intended, this can be a nasty bit of work. It can leave the person tired, confused, with memory and concentration issues. It also lists tinnitus as a side effect. As a musician, there is a decent chance that Smith may have already suffered from tinnitus. Gabapentin may have exacerbated it, and tinnitus can be maddening (not literally causing mental illness, you know what I mean).

I think instead of looking for ways to explain away a conclusion they don't like, those who oppose the suicide conclusion would better serve his memory by seeking to improve public understanding of mental illness and suicide.

and from another:

Smith was rushed into surgery but died in the hospital. I find it a little odd that if his girlfriend killed him, she would rush him to the hospital for care - she may not have known whether he would survive, but took that chance anyway. She could have, hypothetically, waited until he was dead before reporting it. Had he survived, he would have certainly told everyone she tried to kill him.

freyasam

I'm a big fan of his. The last album was full of suicidal ideation. Hell, much of his whole catalogue refers to depression and suicide. Fans and friends were concerned about him for years. He took psychiatric drugs and had a substance abuse problem. But yes, let's blame his girlfriend (sarcasm).

Apparently he didn't exactly live on ice cream but didn't eat much of anything, and when he did, it was ice cream.

And no, repas du soir, he didn't "suddenly make a lot of money" before his death. He had been a big name in indie rock for a while. He played the Oscars for his nominated song in 1998 for pete's sake.

Last edited:

Arrade

I love ice cream. Used to eat a lot of eat after heavy lifting.
Just ate half a quart. Honestly I feel great after eating ice cream.

Aaron

I occasionally get angina from ice cream, incl Haagen Dazs, which is why I avoid it. I've always assumed it was from the blood thickening effects it has. I wish it made me feel as good as it tastes. I can't stop myself from eating the whole pint. I have a lot of difficulty believing it's healthy. Also I'm weaker at the gym after eating it.

Last edited: