Is There Anything Wrong With Blueberries And Other Berries?

encerent

Up where I live fresh blueberries and other berries actually tend to be much sweeter than the imported tropical fruit like mangos and oranges.

Blueberries don't have pufa either. Do they have defensive plant toxins though?

aguilaroja

Vegetables, etc.—Who Defines Food?
“Since the plant’s seeds are of unique importance to the plant, and contain a high concentration of nutrients, they must have special protection. Sometimes this consists of a hard shell, and sometimes of chemicals that inhibit the animal’s digestive enzymes. Many plants have evolved fruits that provide concentrated food for animals, and that serve to distribute the seeds widely, as when a bird eats a berry, and excretes the undigested seed at a great distance. If the fruit were poisonous, it wouldn’t serve the plant’s purpose so well. In general, the plant’s most intense toxins are in its seeds, and the fruits, when mature, generally contain practically no toxins.”

Unsaturated Vegetable Oils: Toxic
“Plants produce many protective substances to repel or injure insects and other animals that eat them. They produce their own pesticides. The oils in seeds have this function. On top of this natural toxicity, the plants are sprayed with industrial pesticides, which can concentrate in the seed oils.”

Berries

What About Blueberries? I Couldn't Find Much On This In Relation To Peating
@jitsmonkey ’s post:
“I have asked Ray this very question and his answer was to avoid foods where you are unable to avoid the seeds. Blueberries would be in this category.”

L

lollipop

I eat them, organic US only. For hard core PUFA depletion, probably not the best. Where I am now in my Peat journey, having fresh fruit intuitively feels right for me.

cyclops

I eat blueberries all the time, love em. Where the heck are the seeds lol? I'm thinking he means bigger seeds like watermelon or apple seeds. Can you plant a blueberry seed? I seriously dont even know where they are. Also if the seeds go through you unbroken wouldn't that mean they dont effect you.

jitsmonkey

He means ANY seeds.
However if you are avoiding PUFA in its most nefarious forms I'd imagine a pint of blueberries is of little consequence.
I find it funny how people struggle with
"what ray says" vs "what they want ray to say"

He says "avoid all seeds"
That doesn't mean you have to do what he says.

I still eat strawberries a couple times a week.
I make a point of choosing fruits without unavoidable seeds most of the time.
Ray even knows I do this and he still answers my emails everytime.
if ya don't do "what ray actually says" its ok.

Arnold Grape

He means ANY seeds.
However if you are avoiding PUFA in its most nefarious forms I'd imagine a pint of blueberries is of little consequence.

So like, eating fresh fruit on occasion is okay?

Waremu

If one is concerned about the seeds of berries but still want to consume them, maybe try juicing them. I have an Omega VRT juicer that squeezes/presses out the juice so I sometimes put goji and blue and black berries through it when I wanna make a mixed fruit drink or shake. It discards the seeds. Works well.

cyclops

He means ANY seeds.

Are you sure that seeds of blueberries and strawberries are actually broken down by the body though? Or could they pass through unbroken down without their evil pufas released. Seems hard to believe blueberries and strawberries could be bad for us humans; they are so natural and tasty.

Last edited:

YourUniverse

It's the fact that they arent broken down, and so irritate the gut, that is the issue with seeds of all types, big and small - serotonin production from irritation of the intestinal lining

Kunder

Would standing next to someone eating berries be ok though? Some PUFA from the seeds may vaporize during the chewing action and end up inhaled by others in close proximity. What is a safe PUFA inhalation distance?

cyclops

Would standing next to someone eating berries be ok though? Some PUFA from the seeds may vaporize during the chewing action and end up inhaled by others in close proximity. What is a safe PUFA inhalation distance?

Good point. Distance could vary based on weather though (think wind). Maybe a surgical mask would be a better option? Easy to always have on you. Do you know if the material used in common surgical masks is able to sufficientley block pufa vapors?

cyclops

It's the fact that they arent broken down, and so irritate the gut, that is the issue with seeds of all types, big and small - serotonin production from irritation of the intestinal lining

Ok so that means the pufa is not an issue though then. They really dont seem to bother my gut.

ratstrain

Blood thinning, homocysteine elevation and premature closure of the ductus arteriosus are possible adverse effects.

Tenacity

Peat said in a KMUD interview that berries are safe so long as you don't crush the seeds - they'll pass straight through you.

Pointless

Peat said in a KMUD interview that berries are safe so long as you don't crush the seeds - they'll pass straight through you.

So Ray says I need to swallow berries whole? Can anyone confirm through e-mail? :rolleyes:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals