Distilled Water

Peater Piper

Distillation will remove as much as 60% to as little as 20% of the fluoride depending on starting concentrations.
:banghead: Well that was two months wasted. I should have known to actually do some research instead of believing all the claims that distillation is effective.

The effect of water purification systems on fluoride content of drinking water Prabhakar A R, Raju O S, Kurthukoti A J, Vishwas T D - J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent
Unprocessed borewell and tap water samples showed mean fluoride values of 3.51 ± 0.02 and 0.26 ± 0.02, respectively [Table - 1]. In the borewell group, processed water samples showed a reduction of about 72.2% in the fluoride content by reverse osmosis system, 55.6% by distillation, 28.9% by activated carbon, 63.9% by Reviva® , and only 2.4% by candle filter; these differences were statistically highly significant ( P < 0.001). Processed tap water samples showed a reduction in the fluoride content of about 37.9% by reverse osmosis system, 17.5% by distillation, 14.6% by activated carbon, and 21.4% by Reviva® , which was statistically highly significant ( P < 0.001); by candle filter the reduction was only 1.5%, which was statistically significant ( P < 0.05).

x-ray peat

Peater Piper

yup that's the study I saw as well. I think boron is the best way to remove fluoride short of running an anti-fluoridation ballot initiative
Seems that way, yeah. I'll get some boron. It's obnoxious how difficult fluoride is to remove.

Remedy

:banghead: Well that was two months wasted. I should have known to actually do some research instead of believing all the claims that distillation is effective.

The effect of water purification systems on fluoride content of drinking water Prabhakar A R, Raju O S, Kurthukoti A J, Vishwas T D - J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent

However, they mention two previous studies that found distillation removed "more than 95%" of the fluoride:

The distillation system caused highly significant reduction in fluoride levels in both the groups, i.e., 55.6% in borewell and 17.5% in tap water. The fluoride reduction by the distillation system was greater than that by activated carbon and candle filter and lesser than that by reverse osmosis and Reviva® in both the groups. The results were statistically highly significant in both the groups, except for the activated carbon and Reviva® systems in the tap water group, where it was not statistically significant. The distillation system achieved the third best fluoride reduction in both the groups. Previous studies by Jobson et al . [1] and Brown and Aaron [3] have reported more than 95% fluoride reduction.

That's quite a difference. With no note made of it, or attempt to explain it.

Strangely, when I went to my Mom to see if she could get the full text of the studies using her student access, they didn't come up for whatever reason.

I can find the Brown and Aaron study here, but I can't find the Jobson one.

Either way, somebody's wrong, and honestly, I think it's your study's authors.

x-ray peat

However, they mention two previous studies that found distillation removed "more than 95%" of the fluoride:

That's quite a difference. With no note made of it, or attempt to explain it.

Strangely, when I went to my Mom to see if she could get the full text of the studies using her student access, they didn't come up for whatever reason.

I can find the Brown and Aaron study here, but I can't find the Jobson one.

Either way, somebody's wrong, and honestly, I think it's your study's authors.
hmm... that's interesting.
I wouldn't be surprised if distillation is 95% effective. The fluorine ion probably has similar physical properties to the chlorine ion and salt water is successfully batch distilled all the time.

Last edited:

goodandevil

The mechanism by which distilled/low-mineral water is supposed to cause all this harm is actually a mechanical one: osmosis. So if you want to prevent these things from happening when you drink your distilled water, I wouldn't think it necessary to remineralize with all those different substances, because for osmosis, it's the total dissolved solid content of the water you need to be concerned with. Just add a little salt, the ratio is easy: 1 ppm = 1 mg/L, so if you use their thresholds for mineralization, which were 75 mg/L with rats and 100 mg/L with humans, all you have to do is add 100 mg of salt, or anything else, per liter of water that you drink.

As for water being a source of calcium and magnesium, that's really trivial; it's not hard to get enough of those minerals in your diet. When the WHO studies the correlation of something like water mineralization with the incidence of disease in global populations, they are, naturally, including a great number of people who are living in strife or poverty, and as a result are chronically malnourished. For those populations, the minerals in water might make a difference, but I can't see it affecting the health of a first-world citizen.

I'm not totally following their argument about how demineralized water causes nutrition loss in food. Their assumption seems to be that food will be strained from water after being cooked, and the water discarded. I personally almost never make recipes that call for this.

The point about distilled water leaching materials from its storage container does give me pause. I have a Zero Water pitcher filter, which is made of plastic, and now that I'm thinking about it, I suppose it is possible that plastic molecules are being pulled into the water while it sits in the pitcher, and that I'm ingesting them. They don't show up on my TDS meter, but of course, I'm sure that plastics can have hormonal effects on the body in concentrations far below 1 mg/L, which is the lowest reading on my meter.

Still, there is, without a doubt, tons of xenoestrogenic ***t in my tap water too. So...
Ray said high-density polyethylene is pretty safe.

TreasureVibe

I got a important question: If one were to drink a small cup of distilled water while having braces made of an alloy of nickel, titanium, cobalt, chromium and/or stainless steel, as well as multiple amalgam fillings, should one be worried that the distilled water leeched off any of these heavy metals, and the person being intoxicated by one or more heavy metals in their organs?

Thanks!

Momado965

Why not distill tap water and then structure it. The water's structure wll bring about structure to the body on an energetic level and from there onwards. So with so without, as they say. It will exactly like pure rain water.

x-ray peat

I got a important question: If one were to drink a small cup of distilled water while having braces made of an alloy of nickel, titanium, cobalt, chromium and/or stainless steel, as well as multiple amalgam fillings, should one be worried that the distilled water leeched off any of these heavy metals, and the person being intoxicated by one or more heavy metals in their organs?

Thanks!
I think the small amount of additional leaching due to the distilled water would be very small in comparison to the total leached into your saliva throughout the day and given off as mercury vapor while chewing. I would do some research on the dangers of amalgams and try and find a qualified dentist that can replace them with something less toxic. Just be careful its a very tricky area and many times dentists screw up the removal and it makes things worse. Dont mean to scare you but that's what I would do.

TreasureVibe

I think the small amount of additional leaching due to the distilled water would be very small in comparison to the total leached into your saliva throughout the day and given off as mercury vapor while chewing. I would do some research on the dangers of amalgams and try and find a qualified dentist that can replace them with something less toxic. Just be careful its a very tricky area and many times dentists screw up the removal and it makes things worse. Dont mean to scare you but that's what I would do.
What about metal braces? Would they get leached off?

Ulysses

Why not distill tap water and then structure it. The water's structure wll bring about structure to the body on an energetic level and from there onwards. So with so without, as they say. It will exactly like pure rain water.
How would one structure distilled tap water?

I have the 'mega home' water distiller, it is fine, if it is releasing any nickel it is likely less nickel than the pre-distilled state as my tds meter shows nothing. For around 6 months not long ago I was experimenting trying to drink as much distilled water in place of tap water as possible. So for coffee I would use distilled. Pure distilled, nothing added. I was trying to see if it would help to de-calcify some stiff joints... I don't think it helped for that, but there was a honey-moon period where my skin cleared up and I had slightly better energy... at the end of the experiment my opinion is the following: drinking 100% distilled water (no minerals added back in) is useful for correcting problems related to mineral excess, however - prolonged use can create new problems of mineral deficiency. I felt good on distilled water up to around the 3 month mark, at the end I felt like something was off. Interestingly, I started taking low dose lithium recently and was blown away by how much it has helped with my energy levels, I have read that the majority of lithium intake people get from water and not food. I have a feeling I created a lithium deficiency in myself, from years of drinking a lot of 'zero water' and then taking it a step further and trying to drink only distilled. I think there is a balance to be achieved, and my preference as of late is to distill but also add back in minerals.

smith

You could structure and then mix distilled water with the exact proportions of electrolytes, glucose, and whatever else as found in blood so that it gets instantly absorbed into the bloodstream instead of flushing the body out, supposedly. There are a lot of gatorade recipes on the internet but I'm not sure which ones come closest to emulating blood serum. idk

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-06-19 at 12.51.36 PM.png
    Screenshot 2018-06-19 at 12.51.36 PM.png
    75.8 KB · Views: 31

S.Holmes

I've been researching water lately. I have a Berkey, Zero Water, Brita, Distiller, and used Reverse Osmosis for years. If anyone would like my 2 cents let me know.
P.S. I am NOT selling ANYTHING. This forum has helped me so much, just trying to "pay it forward" and save someone some time.

Dave Clark

I've been researching water lately. I have a Berkey, Zero Water, Brita, Distiller, and used Reverse Osmosis for years. If anyone would like my 2 cents let me know.
Please go ahead and tell us what you think of those choices, and why. I have a Zero and a distiller. Thought about a Berkey, but won't deal with that company, from the things I read. Brita was my introduction to pitcher filters, they don't get high ratings. RO is too expensive for me. Still looking for a water filter that doesn't cost an arm and leg, and does what it is supposed to do. The Zero is the best I can do right now.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin