Distilled Water

yerrag

He was already dehydrated. If he drank "mineralized" water at the same point in time that he drank distilled, he still would've been dehydrated because it was too late. Also, you don't know the context. He could've had heart arrhythmia or some other disease. I've drank nothing but distilled for 3 days with no food at all. Nothing happened. I've seen people in person drinking distilled water while on a water-only fast up to 30+ days. Their heart didn't stop and they didn't lose their electrolytes.
You could go on drinking distilled water for years and for decades on till you drop. That's what my dad did. In fact, he died at a ripe old age of 96. But would I follow this aspect of his lifestyle? No.

He read a book of Paul Bragg, of organic apple cider vinegar fame, who advocated drinking distilled water. He started to drink distilled and saw his finger joint pains go away. He was so impressed he decided that he will only drink distilled water. I advised against it with the same reasoning I gave earlier.

He was already 66 when he started on distilled water. At 88 his hips failed and he could no longer walk. At 90, his spine was so weak it had a fracture without even falling down. His bones had become brittle as he was suffering with a severe case of osteoporosis. He was bedridden the last 6 years.

I wished there was a way I could have convinced him otherwise with his views on distilled water.

My mom was stubborn as hell, and did not want any of his distilled water and drank from the tap. She died two years after him, still able to walk on her last days, albeit feebly.

I dont know how Paul Bragg was on his last years. Does anybody know? I bet if God sent him back to warn us about hell, he would tell us not to drink distilled water and suffer damnation on earth.

Last edited:
At 88 his hips failed and he could no longer walk. At 90, his spine was so weak it had a fracture without even falling down. His bones had become brittle as he was suffering with a severe case of osteoporosis. He was bedridden the last 6 years.

That's normal. It's called aging. Many people would be grateful to make it to 88 years old in good health. Millions of people today in their 50's and even 40's are on hypertension meds, meaning that, if they don't take them, they'll will have a stoke and lose a part of their brain and drool for the rest of their life, and/or die from the stroke. Their diet is so bad that they have to take a drug or else they'll die or become debilitated. Most people start to decline around 65 to where them start to become "elderly." But your comment is really odd to me. I told you, relax, you don't have to use DW. But now you're trying to blame DW on your Dad who was lucky enough to make it to 88 in good health. If drinking DW will give me 88 years then sign me up. Let me guess, now you're gonna start saying "oh, but he also had xyz for years before 88..." Ok. I'm not interested in that. I'm interested in the truth.

Did you stop the no-salt experiment? It would be interesting to know what your results on it have been/are.

I havne't started it yet. I began reducing added salt for about 1 year. It is true that your taste buds adapt. My intake now is about 1000 mg's a day. I want to go as low as 300 mg's to see how it feels. I may wait until I do a water fast to do no salt because I want to be able to use the tools at the facility to do some tests and get data.

x-ray peat

thanks for the touching story @yerrag. After doing a bit more research its not just distilled water that may be a problem but also low mineral bottled water and low mineral tap water. Poland Springs is particularly low mineral. Zero water is probably also an issue as it removes all minerals.

Im thinking remineralization is more and more important for all these waters. and to throw in some trace elements as suggested.

Multi-Generational Drinking of Bottled Low Mineral Water Impairs Bone Quality in Female Rats
"Methods
Rats continuously drank tap water (TW), bottled natural water (bNW), bottled mineralized water (bMW), or bottled purified water (bPW) for three generations.

Conclusion
Long-term drinking of low mineral water may disturb bone metabolism and biochemical properties and therefore weaken biomechanical bone properties in females.
Drinking tap water, which contains adequate minerals, was found to be better for bone health. To our knowledge, this is the first report on drinking bottled low mineral water and female bone quality on three generation model."

lots of cities have very low mineral content in their tap water
Mineral Content of Drinking Water, 100 USA Cities

yerrag

That's normal. It's called aging. Many people would be grateful to make it to 88 years old in good health. Millions of people today in their 50's and even 40's are on hypertension meds, meaning that, if they don't take them, they'll will have a stoke and lose a part of their brain and drool for the rest of their life, and/or die from the stroke. Their diet is so bad that they have to take a drug or else they'll die or become debilitated. Most people start to decline around 65 to where them start to become "elderly." But your comment is really odd to me. I told you, relax, you don't have to use DW. But now you're trying to blame DW on your Dad who was lucky enough to make it to 88 in good health. If drinking DW will give me 88 years then sign me up. Let me guess, now you're gonna start saying "oh, but he also had xyz for years before 88..." Ok. I'm not interested in that. I'm interested in the truth.

Hey I'm telling it to you straight up so you can look at the details I've recounted and leave it up to you to make your conclusions. You neglect to consider that my mom declined the distilled water and continued on with tap water while my dad continued on with distilled water. For how many years? Did you ever bother to count? 22 years before his hips failed, regardless of his age. But of course you had to angle in on his age and attribute his longevity to distilled water. Did you comprehend when I said he started drinking distilled water at age 66? So how on earth did you atrribute DW to his longevity? Come on, if you just want to keep insisting on getting everyone on board your DW lifestyle, go ahead. They have a choice to listen to a counterargument, and then they can make up their mind. For you, start counting since the year you started on DW, so you can determine for yourself what happens to you twenty plus years later. Then let me know how it turns out with your purest water story. I'll wait. No hurry.

Last edited:

yerrag

thanks for the touching story @yerrag. After doing a bit more research its not just distilled water that may be a problem but also low mineral bottled water and low mineral tap water. Poland Springs is particularly low mineral. Zero water is probably also an issue as it removes all minerals.

Im thinking remineralization is more and more important for all these waters. and to throw in some trace elements as suggested.

Multi-Generational Drinking of Bottled Low Mineral Water Impairs Bone Quality in Female Rats
"Methods
Rats continuously drank tap water (TW), bottled natural water (bNW), bottled mineralized water (bMW), or bottled purified water (bPW) for three generations.

Conclusion
Long-term drinking of low mineral water may disturb bone metabolism and biochemical properties and therefore weaken biomechanical bone properties in females.
Drinking tap water, which contains adequate minerals, was found to be better for bone health. To our knowledge, this is the first report on drinking bottled low mineral water and female bone quality on three generation model."

lots of cities have very low mineral content in their tap water
Mineral Content of Drinking Water, 100 USA Cities

Thanks x-ray peat for the link. I recalled when little taking summer trips to stay with my grandma in Cebu, a main island in the center of the Philippines. The water tasted different. I realized later that the water there is hard, which was very much unlike the really soft water we have in Manila. I began to notice also that there are many tall people there, and they have larger bone structure as well. Yet it's not a very wealthy region, so there intake of protein is not likely to be so much. I am given now to think that the abundance of minerals is water is crucial to a creating a structure that can support a larger build and height. Without conditions favoring a strong structure, I guess the body would know how to regulate its growth such that it has a body that can be well supported by a less sturdy frame.

Since I live in a low mineral water area, I agree with the idea of supplementing with electrolyte minerals as well as trace minerals, especially if food does not adequately cover these needs.

yerrag

Add a cap of sea water to your DW. Problem solved.
That may work, although I just don't know how much calcium and magnesium is in sea water, and if there are enough trace minerals. Can you give an assay of seawater minerals?

For my trace minerals, I mix some azomite into my salt, and use the sslt for cooking and for salting my food. While my drinking water is soft at 75 ppm total dissolved solids, and devoid of much minerals, I take fruit juice for potassium, egg shell powder, milk, cheese, and green leaves for calcium, and take magnesium chloride in solution for magnesium.

Dave Clark

I think the problem with those pitchers is that the filters need to be replaced quite often and most people dont do that. Also I just dont like my water sitting in plastic all day.
They do give you a TDS meter to check your water,plus you can buy colormetric testing kits for whatever parameter you are looking for, i.e. chlorine. My Zero filters last close to 6 months, but I have a whole house filter plus a faucet filter, so I am triple filtering my water, and that makes my Zero filter last longer. And, you can always transfer your water to another vessel or storage container of choice, however the type of plastic they use is the best for not leaching chemicals in normal temperatures. It is cheaper than a Berkey, and does a good job.

x-ray peat

Thanks x-ray peat for the link. I recalled when little taking summer trips to stay with my grandma in Cebu, a main island in the center of the Philippines. The water tasted different. I realized later that the water there is hard, which was very much unlike the really soft water we have in Manila. I began to notice also that there are many tall people there, and they have larger bone structure as well. Yet it's not a very wealthy region, so there intake of protein is not likely to be so much. I am given now to think that the abundance of minerals is water is crucial to a creating a structure that can support a larger build and height. Without conditions favoring a strong structure, I guess the body would know how to regulate its growth such that it has a body that can be well supported by a less sturdy frame.

Since I live in a low mineral water area, I agree with the idea of supplementing with electrolyte minerals as well as trace minerals, especially if food does not adequately cover these needs.
more good anecdotals that make a lot of sense.
Add a cap of sea water to your DW. Problem solved.
The problem as @yerrag guessed is that the mineral level in sea water is very different that what is recommended as optimal. The WHO for example recommends targets of 40-80 mg/l of calcium, 20-30 mg/l of magnesium, 100 mg/l sodium and 100 mg/l potassium. Sea water has far more sodium than the others macro minerals, so to get enough of them the water would taste too salty.

Sea water would probably be fine for trace minerals but you would still need to add calcium, magnesium and potassium to get to the right target levels. Also might as well use Himalayan salt to make things easier.
https://web.stanford.edu/group/Urchin/mineral.html

Last edited:

x-ray peat

They do give you a TDS meter to check your water,plus you can buy colormetric testing kits for whatever parameter you are looking for, i.e. chlorine. My Zero filters last close to 6 months, but I have a whole house filter plus a faucet filter, so I am triple filtering my water, and that makes my Zero filter last longer. And, you can always transfer your water to another vessel or storage container of choice, however the type of plastic they use is the best for not leaching chemicals in normal temperatures. It is cheaper than a Berkey, and does a good job.
to me any plastic contact for any amount of time would be a no go. Since the zero water removes all minerals you are basically creating a "hungry" water like distilled, that would tend to leach chemicals from the plastic components. Ive always heard never to buy distilled water in a plastic jug for the same reasons.

But ignoring that you might want to consider remineralizing the zero water. I think I made a big mistake drinking distilled for so many years.

That may work, although I just don't know how much calcium and magnesium is in sea water, and if there are enough trace minerals. Can you give an assay of seawater minerals?

I don't care much for calcium in my drinking water. I eat a quart of milk daily plus some cheese; I use topical magnesium oil frequently, k2 and sun exposure for my 25OH to stay in the healthy range (>50 ng/mL).

No need to be crazy about not enough calcium on sea water.

Peater Piper

The problem as @yerrag guessed is that the mineral level in sea water is very different that what is recommended as optimal. The WHO for example recommends targets of 40-80 mg/l of calcium, 20-30 mg/l of magnesium, 100 mg/l sodium and 100 mg/l potassium. Sea water has far more sodium than the others macro minerals, so to get enough of them the water would taste too salty.
Those levels seem unrealistic unless a person is purchasing expensive mineral water or adding minerals to their own water. I've been experimenting with distilled water recently to see if the lack of fluoride would make a difference (most water is fluoridated here), but it tastes pretty bad without adding some sea salt and baking soda to it.

x-ray peat

Those levels seem unrealistic unless a person is purchasing expensive mineral water or adding minerals to their own water. I've been experimenting with distilled water recently to see if the lack of fluoride would make a difference (most water is fluoridated here), but it tastes pretty bad without adding some sea salt and baking soda to it.
some cities like in the midwest or southwest have comparable mineral content in those ranges. I think most need to add minerals back which is pretty easy to do.

fyi Distillation doesn't remove all the fluoride so adding some boron to the water can help get the rest.

I don't care much for calcium in my drinking water. I eat a quart of milk daily plus some cheese; I use topical magnesium oil frequently, k2 and sun exposure for my 25OH to stay in the healthy range (>50 ng/mL).

No need to be crazy about not enough calcium on sea water.
If you are peating and getting most of your water from milk and oj it probably doesnt matter. I dont drink either of those, and drink a lot of distilled, so that's why Im being a bit anal about this.

Peater Piper

fyi Distillation doesn't remove all the fluoride so adding some boron to the water can help get the rest.
Distillation should be getting rid of the majority of it, I hope. I've actually been purchasing plastic bottled distilled water for the past two months. I wanted to test it before purchasing a home distiller or expensive filtration. I've been drinking fluoridated water my entire life, and had significant dental fluorosis of my adult teeth. Reading about how some people notice thyroid related issues from a small amount of fluoride, I thought it was worth an experiment. Can't say I've noticed anything at all, and I'd like to get away from the plastic now. Boron is interesting. Do we know how much is safe to consume, and how much is needed to neutralize typical American tap water?

x-ray peat

Distillation should be getting rid of the majority of it, I hope. I've actually been purchasing plastic bottled distilled water for the past two months. I wanted to test it before purchasing a home distiller or expensive filtration. I've been drinking fluoridated water my entire life, and had significant dental fluorosis of my adult teeth. Reading about how some people notice thyroid related issues from a small amount of fluoride, I thought it was worth an experiment. Can't say I've noticed anything at all, and I'd like to get away from the plastic now. Boron is interesting. Do we know how much is safe to consume, and how much is needed to neutralize typical American tap water?
Distillation will remove as much as 60% to as little as 20% of the fluoride depending on starting concentrations.

With that said, not much boron is required to remove the residual fluoride as it is such a small amount. (I would guess its less than .4 ppm fluoride after distillation)

More importantly you want to use excess Boron to begin to remove fluoride from the body.

I use a 3 mg boron capsule in each gallon of distilled water, which is about what I drink per day in coffee, water and cooking. I think you can go up to 10 mg boron fairly safely. The detox studies I have seen use 1000 mg boron/day for 15 days, but obviously don’t do this for too long.

Last edited:

Syncopated

You could go on drinking distilled water for years and for decades on till you drop. That's what my dad did. In fact, he died at a ripe old age of 96. But would I follow this aspect of his lifestyle? No.

He read a book of Paul Bragg, of organic apple cider vinegar fame, who advocated drinking distilled water. He started to drink distilled and saw his finger joint pains go away. He was so impressed he decided that he will only drink distilled water. I advised against it with the same reasoning I gave earlier.

He was already 66 when he started on distilled water. At 88 his hips failed and he could no longer walk. At 90, his spine was so weak it had a fracture without even falling down. His bones had become brittle as he was suffering with a severe case of osteoporosis. He was bedridden the last 6 years.

I wished there was a way I could have convinced him otherwise with his views on distilled water.

My mom was stubborn as hell, and did not want any of his distilled water and drank from the tap. She died two years after him, still able to walk on her last days, albeit feebly.

I dont know how Paul Bragg was on his last years. Does anybody know? I bet if God sent him back to warn us about hell, he would tell us not to drink distilled water and suffer damnation on earth.

Paul Bragg died in a surfing accident, 92 years old.

D

danishispsychic

How do you remineralize? I am starting to think that distilled water without the remineralization is a bad idea.
i add trace mineral drops sometimes with fulvic acid. sometimes i add sea salt, lots of times i dont add anything.

x-ray peat

i add trace mineral drops sometimes with fulvic acid. sometimes i add sea salt, lots of times i dont add anything.
ok thanks. the first time I used fulvic acid I got a nice energy boost, then nothing. seems like trace minerals need to be recharged ever so often

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals