Low Fat Diet Causes Anxiety

Sepulchrave

I've been eating a dairy free starch rich diet with avocado oil (has a similar MUFA/PUFA composition as olive oil) and suffering horrible anxiety and insomnia. After reading a couple of posts on a low fat diet causing anxiety, I ate a few teaspoons of coconut oil, and calmed right down. I don't feel vibrations in my head or have racing, uncontrollable thoughts anymore.

Edit: I've also been taking a couple of grams of niacinamide every day and it causes metabolism to rev up.

The yin quality, coconut is very yin, is necessary for mental health.

Last edited:

madbored

You simply need more fat. There is no one size fits all. Find what works for you.

lampofred

Why is saturated fat yin? Is unsaturated fat yang?

Ulysses

Perhaps it's an issue of quality, not quantity. Try substituting coconut oil for the avocado oil, without consuming more fat overall, and see what happens.

OP
S

Sepulchrave

I woke up at 2:30 am and took about 5 mg diphenhydramine, bit of theanine, applied a sleep promoting herbal oil on my neck and took my usual calcium, magnesium, Vit E supplements.

Two hours later, I still had not fallen asleep. I got up, ate a spoon of coconut oil, went back to bed and slept like a baby. Having a body is a nuisance.

OP
S

Sepulchrave

I also seem to feel stressed right after having a bit of avocado oil. The same thing happened to me much more intensely when I had sesame oil, which has a much higher PUFA content.

kreeese

when I dropped the starches and increased coc. oil everything improved ...like zero anxiety...very peaceful

Spokey

Starch can cause emotional problems if it is promoting serotonin in the gut, fats help keep fermenting bacteria down. And unlike pure sugar, starch can cause large blood sugar fluctuations if there's nothing like fat and protein to help moderate its digestion, those fluctuations can definitely cause anxiety.

Cirion

I don't recommend low fat diets to anyone. Low PUFA is always a good thing, but not low overall fat. Even as I'm pushing towards 1 gram of PUFA a day or sometimes less, I still have upwards of 100g total fat a day.

I once had some success on a zero fat diet and felt good even, but for most of us, we need SFA's to buffer against the damage of built up PUFA's.

cyclops

I once had some success on a zero fat diet and felt good even, but for most of us, we need SFA's to buffer against the damage of built up PUFA's.

If the goal is PUFA depletion and fat loss, by what mechanism does the consumption of dietary SFAs offer additional protection against stored PUFA when consuming a very high-carb Peat style diet?

Tenacity

I don't recommend low fat diets to anyone. Low PUFA is always a good thing, but not low overall fat. Even as I'm pushing towards 1 gram of PUFA a day or sometimes less, I still have upwards of 100g total fat a day.

How are you eating 100g total fat with only a single gram of PUFA? Are you drinking hydrogenated coconut oil or something?

Cirion

If the goal is PUFA depletion and fat loss, by what mechanism does the consumption of dietary SFAs offer additional protection against stored PUFA when consuming a very high-carb Peat style diet?

From my understandings PUFA's will always be floating around either from PUFA you eat or from your body fat stores. so even if you don't eat it, they'll still be there. Also, the amount I intake probably isn't conducive to faster weight loss compared to a low-zero fat diet, but my goal is health and not weight loss currently. I will still slowly deplete PUFA with my strategy since my overall PUFA intake is low.

How are you eating 100g total fat with only a single gram of PUFA? Are you drinking hydrogenated coconut oil or something?

Pretty much. Only fat I have now is HCO and MCT oil. I keep trying to bring fat down further but I just don't feel right unless I have at least 80g fat.