Your Favorite Butter, Milk And Cheese Brands?

welshwing

Please just recommend me good ones. I heard milk isn't actually good unless you drink it direct from the udder, bad stuff happens if the milk isn't taken raw like a calf. Any supplements I can use to replace milk, do they exist?

Brian

I definitely prefer raw milk directly from a small dairy farmer. It tastes and digests much better than anything else I've tried.

I don't feel that dairy is essential to my health in any way, although I do enjoy it. I'm not convinced that a large amount of calcium is even needed in the diet if your Vitamin A, D, E, K levels are optimal. But you still need at least some, so if food isn't giving you enough then a little calcium carbonate seems fine if you aren't eating dairy.

Attakai

This is what I usually buy:
Butter: Kerrygold
Milk: Organic Valley Grass fed full fat(has no added vitamins and isn't homogenized)
Cheese: Trader Joe's asiago

sugar daddy

are you in the UK? (I'm assuming you are Welsh?)

if you are you can buy very good quality organic milk from any of the supermarkets
same goes for butter and cheese, personally I think kerrygold is rubbish even if the paleo crowd think it's a gift from God!

Milk: Yeo valley - Rachel's - Duchy originals (I buy the skimmed but full fat is easier to find)
Butter: Normandy sea salt butter, any brand it's called beurre d'isigny
cheese: Jarlsberg - Gouda - Parmesan - Grana Padano (all made with animal rennet and contain K2)

I think that raw milk may have benefits but pasteurised is totally fine and a very healthy way to get calcium and protein, if you don't have digestion problems with it I thinks it's silly not to drink it.

Gametime

This is what I usually buy:
Butter: Kerrygold
Milk: Organic Valley Grass fed full fat(has no added vitamins and isn't homogenized)
Cheese: Trader Joe's asiago
Do you use kerrygold unsalted or salted? If you use salted do you think the anti caking agent used at 0.1% when the refined salt content is 99.9% is an issue (I messaged kerrygold)

L

lollipop

Do you use kerrygold unsalted or salted? If you use salted do you think the anti caking agent used at 0.1% when the refined salt content is 99.9% is an issue (I messaged kerrygold)
Good question following to hear the responses.

omnivoracious

I really like Organic Valley. My family uses their cultured unsalted butter and full fat grass fed milk. It's a bit on the pricey side but at least I can feel comfortable with the quality of the product. I recently found a very tasty brie at Costco. It's their Kirkland brand and it is called Isigny Ste Mare. It has rennet so I am hoping it is reasonably Peat-friendly.

DuggaDugga

I get raw milk from a local farmer and then purchase Organic Valley grass milk from Whole Foods in between. It's like candy it's so delicious. I honestly even like the Organic Valley a bit more have considered switching over to it full-time.

omnivoracious

I get raw milk from a local farmer and then purchase Organic Valley grass milk from Whole Foods in between. It's like candy it's so delicious. I honestly even like the Organic Valley a bit more have considered switching over to it full-time.

Agreed, the grass milk is delicious! I go back and forth between the full fat and 2% simply because I want to keep the fat under control. With eggs, butter, brie, coconut oil and whatever meat I eat I want to be able to drink lots of milk without getting the fat macros blown out of proportion.

Last edited:

Wagner83

Effects of butter from mountain-pasture grazing cows on risk markers of the metabolic syndrome compared with conventional Danish butter: a randomized controlled study.
Randomized controlled trial Werner LB, et al. Lipids Health Dis. 2013. Show full citation

Abstract
BACKGROUND: There is considerable interest in dairy products from low-input systems, such as mountain-pasture grazing cows, because these products are believed to be healthier than products from high-input conventional systems. This may be due to a higher content of bioactive components, such as phytanic acid, a PPAR-agonist derived from chlorophyll. However, the effects of such products on human health have been poorly investigated.

OBJECTIVE: To compare the effect of milk-fat from mountain-pasture grazing cows (G) and conventionally fed cows (C) on risk markers of the metabolic syndrome. DESIGN: In a double-blind, randomized, 12-week, parallel intervention study, 38 healthy subjects replaced part of their habitual dietary fat intake with 39 g fat from test butter made from milk from mountain-pasture grazing cows or from cows fed conventional winter fodder. Glucose-tolerance and circulating risk markers were analysed before and after the intervention.
RESULTS: No differences in blood lipids, lipoproteins, hsCRP, insulin, glucose or glucose-tolerance were observed. Interestingly, strong correlations between phytanic acid at baseline and total (P<0.0001) and LDL cholesterol (P=0.0001) were observed.

CONCLUSIONS: Lack of effects on blood lipids and inflammation indicates that dairy products from mountain-pasture grazing cows are not healthier than products from high-input conventional systems. Considering the strong correlation between LDL cholesterol and phytanic acid at baseline, it may be suggested that phytanic acid increases total and LDL cholesterol

Wagner83

Effect of dairy fat on plasma phytanic acid in healthy volunteers - a randomized controlled study. Randomized controlled trial Werner LB, et al. Lipids Health Dis. 2011. Show full citation Abstract BACKGROUND: Phytanic acid produced in ruminants from chlorophyll may have preventive effects on the metabolic syndrome, partly due to its reported RXR and PPAR- α agonist activity. Milk from cows fed increased levels of green plant material, contains increased phytanic acid concentrations, but it is unknown to what extent minor increases in phytanic acid content in dairy fat leads to higher circulating levels of phytanic acid in plasma of the consumers. OBJECTIVE: To investigate if cow feeding regimes affects concentration of plasma phytanic acid and risk markers of the metabolic syndrome in human. DESIGN: In a double-blind, randomized, 4 wk, parallel intervention study 14 healthy young subjects were given 45 g milk fat/d from test butter and cheese with 0.24 wt% phytanic acid or a control diet with 0.13 wt% phytanic acid. Difference in phytanic acid was obtained by feeding roughage with low or high content of chlorophyll. RESULTS: There tended to be a difference in plasma phytanic acid (P = 0.0730) concentration after the dietary intervention. Plasma phytanic acid increased significantly within both groups with the highest increase in control group (24%) compared to phytanic acid group (15%). There were no significant effects of phytanic acid on risk markers for the metabolic syndrome. CONCLUSIONS: The results indicate that increased intake of dairy fat modify the plasma phytanic acid concentration, regardless of cows feeding regime and the minor difference in dietary phytanic acid. Whether the phytanic acid has potential to affects the risk markers of the metabolic syndrome in human still remain to be elucidated.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals