Ray Peat Carrot Salad

I think most of the benefit is in the carrot fibres, with potentially some additional benefit from the vinegar and oil. So yes, there's a good chance the carrot will be helpful without the oil or vinegar.

I've recently been experimenting with grated carrot in different ways to see if there was any noticable differences.
Grating the carrot and then brining it then rinsing it got a lot more of the juice out and the color was much paler. Then sqeezing remainder of the juice and water out. I realized at that point the fiber would be an even more effective vehicle for beneficial compounds. Since then I've added aloe juice and emodin at times and others just the standard vinegar and coconut oil. The dressing is definitely the better tasting of the two however the effect of the former seems to be greater. Temps are better and so is sleep and transit time is improved.
Cool, btw my temp has definitly gone up too :)

Kyle M

Does anyone else think grating/peeling the carrot down longways is a pain in the ****? I can't stand doing it.

Peatful

Does anyone else think grating/peeling the carrot down longways is a pain in the ****? I can't stand doing it.
YES!
It's like I start resent needing to make it...
So I just chow down a carrot and call it a day.

x-ray peat

I cant see much difference between a well chewed whole carrot and a well chewed grated carrot except for the opportunity to rinse of the beta carotene with the grated one

Kyle M

I cant see much difference between a well chewed whole carrot and a well chewed grated carrot except for the opportunity to rinse of the beta carotene with the grated one
Yeah, you're chewing either way and preserving the "long fibers" as Peat has said either way. The other difference is that if you do grate/peel you increase surface area for coconut oil and vinegar to absorb in. Seems to me you just eat a carrot, then take a tbsp or tsp or whatever your desired amount is of coconut oil and vinegar.

Kyle M

YES!
It's like I start resent needing to make it...
So I just chow down a carrot and call it a day.
Yeah I get actively angry about it lol. The way you have to do it long ways, it's like it's designed to be annoying.

whit

Agreed!
It makes such a mess too I've had to opt to doing it in the sink.
I did find a hand held grater that works well for the job.
There may be some part of me that is afraid of loosing a knuckle in the process that causes my aversion.

Dobbler

I have never personally done anything to the carrot(s). I take them out of the bag and eat, no washing no peeling no oils.

Kyle M

Agreed!
It makes such a mess too I've had to opt to doing it in the sink.
I did find a hand held grater that works well for the job.
There may be some part of me that is afraid of loosing a knuckle in the process that causes my aversion.
yep

RayPeatFan777

How much raw carrot do you guys eat per morning?

Just grated 2 whole carrots... seems like a lot.

Is anyone finding it irritates their mouth?

I wash the organic carrots whole in boiled water, then grate into long strains, add a bit of salt and eat.

Peatful

How much raw carrot do you guys eat per morning?

Just grated 2 whole carrots... seems like a lot.

Is anyone finding it irritates their mouth?

I wash the organic carrots whole in boiled water, then grate into long strains, add a bit of salt and eat.
One large carrot. Raw. Grated.
Tbp of vinegar and almost a tbp of coconut oil.
I skip the salt although it is probably healthier with it.

I do not find it irritates my mouth.

cyclops

Has anyone tried using the Carrot VS Mushrooms for fiber for an extended period of time? Did you find any difference in the results and benefits? Or are they really completely interchangeable?

Amazoniac

:doh

It was only a few days ago that I realized that when you add apfels, you get Gerson's combination, which their juice was an important part of the protocol, patients drank various glasses throughout the day. There's something special about their combination because the effects on me are better than either one alone. If you add mature coconuts, or their milk/cream, you have a nourishing meal. It's only worth going for the purified oil if you find the less processed options alergenic, but perhaps such meal can help solve these reactions over time.

I don't know how whole apples compare to their vinegar, but nothing prevents people from using both. Apples are notorious for their protective effects on teeth, I remember reading somewhere about acetic acid being cariogenic, especially because a lot of chewing is required. It must be good to neutralize the acetic acid with a bicarbonate salt.

These are not where I read about this issue, but just for an idea:

- Decalcification - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics

"Dental caries is primarily caused by lactic and acetic acids which diffuse through the plaque and into the enamel pores between the rods as neutral ion species, where they dissociate and decrease the pH of the fluid surrounding the enamel crystals. Once dissociated, the protons dissolve the hydroxyapatite crystal surface depending on the degree of saturation of the specific apatite and the inter-rod fluid calcium and phosphate ion concentration increases.

The buffering of calcium and phosphate at the enamel surface and in the plaque biofilm leads to the development of a subsurface (or white spot lesion) with a proportionately hypermineralized surface layer. The optical changes occur due to the increased pore spaces between the thinned rods and the effect this has on the refractive qualities of the enamel. The continuation of this process eventually undermines the support for the surface layer and surface breakdown occurs – the development of a physical cavity."​

Carrot and apfel juice with some coconut milk might not be a bad idea.

Amazoniac

Regarding the post on falcarinol, polyacetylenes are defensive compounds, kind of like chocolate's tannins for example. When isolated and given in large amounts, it becomes toxic but they can also be responsible for some mild allergies to the plants that contain them. On the hands of the others, it protects plants and has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that can be useful. They're fatty compounds that are en and trapped in the fibrous structure, there and fore anything that burst it can make it more available, I think this is one of its purposes. Stress increases its content, so it might not be a good sign. However! Juicing frees them up, so they're more absorbable. Gerson included various carrot juices throughout the day: it can't be too bad and they might be protective for more complex organisms up to Travis.

- The Polyacetylenes Falcarinol and Falcarindiol Affect Stress Responses in Myotube Cultures in a Biphasic Manner

"Epidemiological studies indicate some correlation between high intake of fruit and vegetables and certain beneficial health effects (Steinmetz and Potter 1991; Block et al. 1992; Maynard et al. 2003). This has lead to a great interest in studying effects of single compounds originating from fruit and vegetables, e.g. bioactive compounds such as caroteonoids (The Alpha-Tocopherol B-CCPSG 1994) and flavonoids (Duthie and Dobson 1999). Other highly bioactive, but less abundant compounds in fruit and/or vegetables that may contribute to overall effects, include the aliphatic C17-polyacetylenes falcarinol and falcarindiol (Figure 1), which are mainly present in carrots, celery, celeriac and other umbelliferous vegetables (Zidorn et al. 2005). Falcarinol is bioavailable in humans (Christensen and Brandt 2006 [below]) and the C17-polyacetylenes of the falcarinol type has shown biological characteristics such as anti-inflammatory (Alanko et al. 1994; Liu et al. 1998), immune stimulatory (Hansen et al. 1986), anti-platelet-aggregatory effects (Teng et al. 1989) as well as cytotoxicity (Bernart et al. 1996; Zidorn et al. 2005)."​

- Bioactive polyacetylenes in food plants of the Apiaceae family: Occurrence, bioactivity and analysis - ScienceDirect

"Plants contain a great number of different secondary metabolites, many of which display biological activity as “natural pesticides” with a role in plant defence against, e.g. insects, fungi and other microorganisms."

"Polyacetylenes are examples of bioactive secondary metabolites that have been considered undesirable in plant foods due to their toxicant properties. Some polyacetylenes are known to be potent skin sensitizers, and to be neurotoxic in high concentrations, but have also been shown to have a pronounced selective cytotoxic activity against cancer cells."

"Some of the most bioactive polyacetylenes are found in the Apiaceae family, which in addition to some well-known medicinal and toxic plants also includes common food plants such as carrot, celery, and parsley."

"Polyacetylenes form a distinct group of relatively chemically reactive natural products, and more than 1400 different polyacetylenes and related compounds have been isolated from higher plants. They are widely distributed in the families Apiaceae (formerly Umbelliferae), Araliaceae, and Asteraceae (formerly Compositae) and have been found sporadically in 21 other families [7–11]. Aliphatic C17-polyacetylenes of the falcarinoltype such as falcarinol (1) and falcarindiol (2) (Fig. 1), are widely distributed in the Apiaceae and Araliaceae [7,8], and consequently nearly all polyacetylenes found in the utilized/edible parts of food plants of the Apiaceae, such as carrot, celeriac, parsnip and parsley are of the falcarinol-type (Fig. 1, Table 1). Falcarinol-type polyacetylenes are less common in food plants of other plant families, although they have been found in tomatoes and aubergines of the Solanaceae [12–14]."

"Falcarinol (1) and falcarindiol (2) have been identified as antifungal compounds in many Apiaceae plant species inhibiting spore germination of different fungi in concentrations ranging from 20 to 200 g/ml [8,20–25]. Polyacetylenes of the falcarinol-type tend to be present constitutively, indicating that they act primarily as pre-infectional compounds in the species producing them, although some increase can be observed in response to infections [20–23]. Polyacetylenes of the falcarinol-type has also been shown to be phytoalexins in common food plants of the Solanaceae, such as tomatoes [12,13] and aubergines [14]."

"It has been shown that falcarinol (1) is responsible for most of the allergic skin reactions caused by plants of the Apiaceae and Araliaceae [33–37], whereas related polyacetylenes such as falcarindiol (2) and falcarinone (6) (Fig. 1) do not seem to be allergenic [34]. The allergenic properties of falcarinol indicate that it can form a hapten–protein complex (antigen). This is probably due to its hydrophobicity and its ability to form an extremely stable carbocation with the loss of water, thereby acting as a very reactive alkylating agent towards mercapto and amino groups in proteins and other biomolecules. This mechanism may also explain its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial effect (Section 3.4), its cytotoxicity (Section 3.5) and perhaps its bioactivity in general."

"In the human diet carrots are the major dietary source of falcarinol, although falcarinol may also be supplied by many other plant food sources (Table 1). A recent in vitro study aiming to screen for potentially health promoting compounds from vegetables, showed that falcarinol, but not :ss-carotene, could stimulate differentiation of primary mammalian cells in concentrations between 0.004 and 0.4M falcarinol. Toxic effects were found above >4M falcarinol (Fig. 4), while :ss-carotene had no effect even at 400 M [61]. This biphasic effect (hormesis) of falcarinol on cell proliferation is fully in accordance with the hypothesis that toxic compounds have beneficial effects at certain lower concentrations [62,63]. Therefore falcarinol appears to be one of the bioactive components in carrots and related vegetables that could explain their health promoting properties, rather than carotenoids or other types of primary and/or secondary metabolites. This hypothesis is further supported by recent studies on the bioavailability of falcarinol in humans [6,64–66]. When falcarinol was administered orally via carrot juice (13.3 mg falcarinol/l carrot juice) in amounts of 300, 600 and 900 ml, respectively, it was rapidly absorbed, reaching a maximum concentration in serum between 0.004 and 0.01 M at 2 h after dosing [6,65]. This is within the range where the in vitro data indicate a potentially beneficial physiological effect (Fig. 4), and a possible inhibitive effect on the proliferation of cancer cells (see Section 3.5)."​

- https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-1-62703-167-7_29

"In most cases where antioxidants have shown effect against cancer, the mode of action of these compounds is probably not related to their antioxidant activity. So in order to explain the anticancer effect of carrots we have to focus on highly bioactive compounds with mechanism of actions different from antioxidants. Highly bioactive compounds are often toxic in high concentrations but may have beneficial effects in low concentrations and such bioactive compounds are indeed present in carrots and include sesquiterpenoids [17], phenylpropanoids [18], and polyacetylenes [19-21]. The polyacetylenes in carrots are of the falcarinol type (Fig. 29.1) and they have in recent years received considerable attention due to their anti-inflammatory activity, cytotoxicity, and potential anticancer effect [5,19-26] . It is well known that there exist a close link between inflammation and cancer, and that inflammatory diseases can lead to cancer [27]. The cytotoxic and anti-inflammatory properties of falcarinol type polyacetylenes therefore seem to be a plausible explanation for the anticancer effect of carrots. In the human diet, carrots are the major dietary source of falcarinol type polyacetylenes, although they are also found in many other vegetables and medicinal plants of the Apiaceae family [19-21,24]."

"Polyacetylenes are fatty acid derivatives that are heat labile, sensitive to oxidation and may undergo photodecomposition if exposed to ultraviolet (UV) light [19,28, 29] . To isolate, quantify, and characterize these natural products in carrots is therefore not an easy task. Sixteen polyacetylenes have been isolated from carrots, which are all aliphatic C17-polyacetylenes of the falcarinol type (Fig. 29.1) [18-21,24,30-33] .
The polyacetylenes in carrots have very characteristic UV spectra due to the presence of triple and double bonds and carbonyl groups in various conjugated configurations (Fig. 29.1)."

"Falcarinol is a potent contact allergen being responsible for allergic skin reactions from plants, including carrots [46-49] . The allergenic properties of falcarinol indicate that it is very reactive towards thiol and/or amino groups in proteins, thus capable of forming hapten-protein complexes (antigens) [46,47] . The reactivity of falcarinol towards proteins is probably due to its hydrophobicity and its ability to form a stable carbocation (resonance stabilized) with the loss of water, thereby acting as a strong alkylating agent [19-22,46] ."

"Falcarinol and falcarindiol have shown to be strong inhibitors of LOXs (5-, 12- and 15-LOX) that like COX enzymes are involved in tumor-progression processes [51-54]. Furthermore, falcarindiol is an effective inhibitor of COX-1 and -2 [54-57], and in particular COX-1 where the lowest IC50-value reported is 0.3 m (micro)M [56] . Inhibitory activity of COX enzymes have also been demonstrated for falcarinol, falcarindiol-8-acetate (4), and panaxydiol (8), although the COX inhibitory activity of these polyacetylenes is considerably less compared to falcarindiol [53,55,57]."

"It has been demonstrated that extracts of purple carrots, rich in polyphenols possess anti-inflammatory activity by decreasing LPS induced production of IL-6, TNFD and NO in macrophage cells in concentrations of 10 m g ml−1. Bioassay-guided fractionation of the extracts revealed, however, that the anti-inflammatory activity were due to falcarinol, falcarindiol, and falcarindiol-3-acetate suggesting that they are responsible for this activity of carrots [38]."

"The anti-inflammatory activity of carrot polyacetylenes can be explained by their alkylating properties leading to an inactivation of for example COX and LOX enzymes and NF- k(kappa)B. Thus, the anti-inflammatory activity of bioactive polyacetylenes may contribute to a deeper understanding of the anticancer effect of carrots."

"Further support for the possible role of bioactive polyacetylenes in carrots in cancer prevention comes from bioavailability studies in humans. When falcarinol and falcarindiol were administered orally via carrot juice they were rapidly absorbed reaching maximum concentrations in serum of approximately 2.5 ng ml−1 at 2 h after administration (Fig. 29.4) [19,21,34] . This is within the concentration range where the in vitro data indicate a beneficial physiological effect, and a possible inhibitive effect on the proliferation of cancer cells [5,19,21-23] ."

"[..]falcarinol is a more potent inhibitor of cell proliferation than falcarindiol"

"Comparing the effects of the carrot extracts with the effects of falcarinol or falcarindiol alone, Purup et al. [22] found that the mixture of polyacetylenes in the extracts was more potent in inhibiting cell proliferation."

"[..]falcarinol type polyacetylenes in combinations may affect their cytotoxicity significantly. Synergistic interactions could therefore be an important factor in relation to the anticancer effect of carrot polyacetylenes, although this activity clearly depends on the concentration and the ratio of the compounds."

"The most interesting proof for a potential anticancer effect of carrot polyacetylenes are, however, from a preclinical study on rats demonstrating inhibitory effects of carrots and falcarinol in an established rat model for colon cancer [25] . The rats were induced with colon cancer by injections of the carcinogen azoxymethane followed by feeding with freeze-dried carrots or purified falcarinol corresponding to a daily human consumption of 400–600 g FW of carrot [25]. Dietary treatments with carrot and falcarinol showed a significant (P = 0.028) tendency to reduce numbers of (pre)cancerous lesions (aberrant crypt foci) with increasing size of lesion from no difference relative to control for the smallest lesions to a one-third reduction for the fully developed tumors."

"The above results clearly indicate that the protective effect of carrots against cancer to a large extent can be explained by their content of falcarinol type polyacetylenes, rather than carotenoids or polyphenols as previously has been suggested [10,68]. By improving the content of polyacetylenes in raw and processed carrots it may be possible to increase our daily intake of carrot polyacetylenes and thereby optimize the cancer preventive effects of carrots."

"Genotype has a huge impact on the content of polyacetylenes in carrots."

"The location where carrots are grown also has a significantly impact on the content of polyacetylenes in carrots (Table 29.2) [42] , whereas the growth system appears to be of less importance with regard to the content of polyacetylenes [36]."

"In an unpublished study by Christensen [33] , it was shown that the content of polyacetylenes in carrot pieces of different sizes was reduced by almost 50% after 6 min boiling (Fig. 29.6), in accordance with another study where boiling of carrot pieces for 15 min resulted in a reduction of polyacetylenes by almost 70% [26] ."

- World Carrot museum - Description of Carrot Root

Rootdiagram.jpg

"Since falcarindiol and falcarindiol-3-acetate is primarily located in the peel of carrots, i.e., in pericyclic parenchyma tissue close to the periderm [40,41,69] , the distance between the compound in the carrot and the water is independent of carrot size."

"In contrast falcarinol is primarily located in the phloem tissue close to the vascular cambium in the carrot root [40,41,69]. As the temperature in the phloem tissue during boiling depends on the size of the carrot pieces, the spatial distribution of falcarinol in the carrot root therefore explain the effect of boiling on this compound in the smallest carrot pieces. Steam blanching of carrot cubes or shreds at 90°C for a few minutes may result in losses of polyacetylenes up to 50% and indicates that polyacetylenes to some extent are degraded during high temperature heat treatment [26,42]."

"Thermal processing reduces the content of bioactive polyacetylenes in carrots significantly. At the same time thermal processing changes the texture of carrots, which increases the accessibility of bioactive polyacetylenes and hence their bioavailability. Whether thermal processing has a positive or negative net effect on the cancer preventive effects of carrots is yet to be investigated."

"Although storage only have a minor effect on the content of polyacetylenes compared to genotype and thermal processing, it appear to be beneficial to store carrots at low temperatures until processing to improve the content of bioactive polyacetylenes."​

- https://www.fasebj.org/doi/abs/10.1...d-urls=yes&legid=fasebj;23/1_Supplement/899.1

Wagner83

Carrot and apfel juice with some coconut milk might not be a bad idea.
Since we talked about this recently, why do you think juiced apples (filtered I guess) and carrot juices are more desirable than cooked and whole? Wouldn't apple juice be a typical high-fructose very quickly digested food?
I do think the raw carrot and raw or cooked apples are issues (tough fibers, pectin), so I guess juicing them raw keeps the nutrients intact while allowing for very good digestive tolerance.

Amazoniac

Since we talked about this recently, why do you think juiced apples (filtered I guess) and carrot juices are more desirable than cooked and whole? Wouldn't apple juice be a typical high-fructose very quickly digested food?
I do think the raw carrot and raw or cooked apples are issues (tough fibers, pectin), so I guess juicing them raw keeps the nutrients intact while allowing for very good digestive tolerance.
I doesn't, I was just doing the thinkings about alternatives*.

Yes, but there are various other factors involved: the amount consumed in a sitting, the other ingredients (fat should help to control), how fast the person drank, how adapted the person is to greater fructose intakes (it's adaptable to some degree), the overall nutritional state of the person, if the person drank it while running from a.. crocodile, and so on.

*That's why it's good to have them, some people will do better with their juice, other not. Juicing will liberate some nutrients, it's more nutritious, but fiber could help to control the delivery and in the case of :ss-carotene make it less available, which can be a good thing. I guess the best thing to do is to just throw the hands in the air and rely on cravings and reactions.