Coconut Oil Possibly Creates Food Allergies?

T

tca300

Dietary medium-chain triglycerides promote oral allergic sensitization and orally induced anaphylaxis to peanut protein in mice
This study used partially hydrogenated coconut oil I believe.

If other forum members like @Travis @haidut or anybody else that has time, and or are interested, I would like to hear what you guys think of this study. After about 7 years of daily Coconut oil, hydrogenated coconut oil and pure MCT consumption ( not all 3 everyday, but typically one of the mentioned daily ) I have just recently been going into a certain anaphylaxis when I consume Oranges, fresh, whole, juiced myself or store bought juices.

It seems far fetched to really think that the medium chain triglycerides could cause this, but I'm all ears to anybody who has thoughts! Thank you!

I apologize if this has already been brought up before.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunder

Alright, lets hear some tips for an alternative use of MCT oil for all those stuck with buckets of the stuff.

Diokine

Have you been taking aspirin or did you recently change your dosing? I noticed increased sensitivity to citrus during prolonged aspirin use, I think it's related to salicylate sensitivity. I have also noticed the feeling of a lump in the throat if I overdo coconut oil (Th2 immunogenic response,) and I think this is via several mechanisms. Coconut oil contains salicylates, which I suspect can cross-react with fruit salicylates and aspirin. MCT doesn't contain nearly as many, but there is evidence that increased dietary intake of saturated fat can cause endoplasmic reticulum stress in some cases, leading to the immune response. My thoughts on the subject aren't entirely worked out but maybe they can point you in the right direction.

Small doses or taurine or n-acetyl-cysteine may help.

Saturated fatty acids promote allergic (Th2) cytokine responses by activation of unfolded protein response (UPR) and ER stress

Medium-chain triglycerides enhance secretory IgA expression in rat intestine after administration of endotoxin

Enhanced Th2 response after MCT administration

OP
T

tca300

@raypeatclips His response was basically thinking it might be the particular brand of coconut oil, as through the years he has noticed many brands cause allergies for him, and swtiching to different ones didn't have the same effect. It seems though that Oranges are the issue for me, not the coconut oil. But my worry is if the coconut oil can cause food allergies its only a matter of time before I become allergic to milk, or other fruits if I continue consuming the coconut oil.

OP
T

tca300

Have you been taking aspirin or did you recently change your dosing? I noticed increased sensitivity to citrus during prolonged aspirin use, I think it's related to salicylate sensitivity. I have also noticed the feeling of a lump in the throat if I overdo coconut oil (Th2 immunogenic response,) and I think this is via several mechanisms. Coconut oil contains salicylates, which I suspect can cross-react with fruit salicylates and aspirin. MCT doesn't contain nearly as many, but there is evidence that increased dietary intake of saturated fat can cause endoplasmic reticulum stress in some cases, leading to the immune response. My thoughts on the subject aren't entirely worked out but maybe they can point you in the right direction.

Small doses or taurine or n-acetyl-cysteine may help.

Saturated fatty acids promote allergic (Th2) cytokine responses by activation of unfolded protein response (UPR) and ER stress

Medium-chain triglycerides enhance secretory IgA expression in rat intestine after administration of endotoxin

Enhanced Th2 response after MCT administration

I do use aspirin somewhat regularly. Thank you, I will avoid it for now. Although, I'm unwilling to try oranges again, to test without using aspirin for a while seeing that this last time I almost stopped breathing.

OP
T

tca300

Alright, lets hear some tips for an alternative use of MCT oil for all those stuck with buckets of the stuff.
This may be something that has nothing to do with mct oil, and could be specific to me, so dont jump to that mindset just yet.

Kunder

You just posted a study about mct oil causing allergy, yet you seem to be blaming aspirin and oranges. What am i missing here.

OP
T

tca300

You just posted a study about mct oil causing allergy, yet you seem to be blaming aspirin and oranges. What am i missing here.
Im not blaming oranges, Im saying that maybe the mct could have made me allergic to the oranges, but maybe I also just developed a spontaneous allergy to them and the mct has nothing to do with it. Im not certain about whats going on, just trying to get others thoughts on this. I think more discussion and research is needed before any conclusions can be made.

Birdie

I don't know if this will help anybody else, but just in case I'll comment .

After using coconut oil for at least 15 years, I decided to stop it to see if I'd been having allergic reactions. I'd slowly developed various skin maladies. So, I stopped all co and have used only butter for the last 6+ months. My scalp condition improved. But, after reading again of co benefits for improving mental acuity, decided to take it up again. Within about 10 days my scalp condition flared.

And not only that. My husband had been experiencing a severe case of jock itch that came on during the past 4 years I guess. We tried many remedies that had various degrees of effectiveness, but no cure. So, while we were off the co, the thing relented. It became barely noticeable. But we didn't associate it with co as we were pretty busy with life you know... So, after about a week of back to using it for cooking, bam the itch was back. Again, we didn't notice the association for a while.

We are off coconut oil again. It's been about 10 days and we are both improved. I'm disappointed that it won't work for us, but not meant to be. And maybe a hint was that I began to hate using it. I'd use half co and half butter for cooking eggs and I just wanted the butter alone. Thank you again @tca300 .

Btw, I used MCT oil a few years back, but I think that Ray said something about the manufacture of it causing problems. Anyway, for some reason we stopped it. Boy, it took me a couple of years to face throwing it away...

Update - Finally, my husband realized it was not the Coconut Oil after all. That was just coincidental. He says he doesn't have jock itch but something different - a bacterial infection. Some bacteria for which there is no effective antibiotic at present.

We don't especially like the taste and don't use much coconut oil these days.

Last edited:

Birdie

I should say that I thought my skin problems were due to aging, so didn't consider allergic reactions at all.

dfspcc20

@Birdie were you using refined or unrefined coconut oil?
Interesting nonetheless.
The two foods that stand out to me as things I despised as a child were onions and coconut. Maybe the inner-child was right again?

Wagner83

Ray tried mct oil and decided not to use it from what I remember, he said the taste was repulsive (goat). Travis has warned about potential problems with hydrogenated CO. About orange juice, you could search for Mittir's posts on it, there are quite a few:

@pboy

I used to follow a low fructose diet after reading all those garbage in health
blog spheres, fructose malabsorption. Later it turned out to be problem of
pectin and under ripe fruits. Interestingly most of the high fructose foods like
apple, pears, watermelon and mangoes are high in pectin or problematic fibers
and starchy in under ripe forms. I have a very sensitive stomach and i have no
problem with pectin free commercial apple juice. I have mild problem with
well ripened mangoes. Rarely found ripened apple,pears or watermelons in stores.

OJ is quite high in pectin and sweet ripe oranges don't give me any problem.
You can experiment with pectin free apple juice and see how gut reacts to that.
I had to try about 15 brands before i found two that tastes good and beneficial.
I think it's the low fructose apple juice does not show major benefit.
If they use spoiled apple then fungul residue can be problematic.

After reading RP's two recent articles on sugar i think fructose is very special.

I forgot to add that i add baking soda to neutralize the acid. Though apple juice
is not as acidic as orange juice, neutralizing the acid makes it gut friendly.

A lot of people have problem with OJ. It largely depends on quality of orange, RP recommends sweet ripe oranges.
Pectin in orange can be quite problematic and there is polyamines in orange which can increase histamine release.
Acid in OJ can cause digestion issue and that can result in high serotonin and histamine problem.

I drink apple juice, commercial apple juice is pectin free. But, not all commercial AJ are good.
You may have to experiment with many brands before you find the one suits you.
Commercial Apple juice can have fungal residue if they use rotten apples
It is better to make your own AJ from ripe apple.

You did not mention what type of starch you are eating and what type of fruits and fruit juice
are your sugar source. Orange juice can be very problematic for some people, especially
when orange is not sweet and ripe. Pectin in OJ and other fruits can cause problem
depending on type of gut flora you have. I can not tolerate OJ and doing fine
with pectin free commercial apple juice. You also have to be careful about
avoiding yeast residue in certain apple juice made from
spoiled apple and grapes often have yeast and sulfur.
Orange is known to have compounds that causes histamine release.
It is not easy to find good quality ripe fruits.

I saw a post of Janelle in which she was saying oj gave her a lot of issues, grapes juice concentrate (if I remember correctly) didn't.

Richiebogie said its high in arginine, I didn't double check.

Last edited:

Evandrojr

tca300, you might want to do some reading on salicylate sensitivity. After many years of Peating and not being able to figure out several issues, I now realize they were all related to sals sensitivity!

I took some time completely off of salicylates (mostly all fruits, but also carrot, mushrooms, coffee, chocolate, and of course aspirin) and saw tremendous improvements. My sinuses cleared completely, better digestion, better sleep, regular bowel movements, no more skin itching/rashes, jock itch, and many others. I plan to reintroduce some of those slowly to see how I react, but reading plenty about sals intolerance have me great insight and was a huge leap forward in terms of guiding my n1 experiments.

Dietary medium-chain triglycerides promote oral allergic sensitization and orally induced anaphylaxis to peanut protein in mice
This study used partially hydrogenated coconut oil I believe.

If other forum members like @Travis @haidut or anybody else that has time, and or are interested, I would like to hear what you guys think of this study. After about 7 years of daily Coconut oil, hydrogenated coconut oil and pure MCT consumption ( not all 3 everyday, but typically one of the mentioned daily ) I have just recently been going into a certain anaphylaxis when I consume Oranges, fresh, whole, juiced myself or store bought juices.

It seems far fetched to really think that the medium chain triglycerides could cause this, but I'm all ears to anybody who has thoughts! Thank you!

I apologize if this has already been brought up before.[/QUOTE

OP
T

tca300

tca300, you might want to do some reading on salicylate sensitivity. After many years of Peating and not being able to figure out several issues, I now realize they were all related to sals sensitivity!

I took some time completely off of salicylates (mostly all fruits, but also carrot, mushrooms, coffee, chocolate, and of course aspirin) and saw tremendous improvements. My sinuses cleared completely, better digestion, better sleep, regular bowel movements, no more skin itching/rashes, jock itch, and many others. I plan to reintroduce some of those slowly to see how I react, but reading plenty about sals intolerance have me great insight and was a huge leap forward in terms of guiding my n1 experiments.
Thank you for your thoughts! I have very similar improvements, a major one was correcting gastrointestinal bleeding, accompanied with severe burning. I just avoid moderate to high salicylate containing foods, just sticking to animal foods, milk, liver, and occasionally egg yokes, cheese, and beef, things are amazing now. I have had bad heart palpitations for over 12 years and now they have disappeared.

Evandrojr

Thank you for your thoughts! I have very similar improvements, a major one was correcting gastrointestinal bleeding, accompanied with severe burning. I just avoid moderate to high salicylate containing foods, just sticking to animal foods, milk, liver, and occasionally egg yokes, cheese, and beef, things are amazing now. I have had bad heart palpitations for over 12 years and now they have disappeared.
That’s great to hear! I wish I had thought of this a long time ago, feels like a huge part of the puzzle!

I still have 3 major doubts though. What are your current thoughts on: white sugar, coffee, and egg whites?

OP
T

tca300

I dont like plain sugar because it lacks needed micronutrients and can exacerbate an already existing nutritional deficiency. ( I have a deficiency in Aldolase B, so fructose isn't an option for me anyways ). Coffee is probably ok for most people, but for me it has enough salicylate to cause issues, and it pushes my metabolism too high, I'm already in the 99°F area. Egg whites, even cooked bind biotin, reducing its absorption, and are pretty allergenic, so I stay away from them. @Evandrojr

Evandrojr

That’s great to hear! I wish I had thought of this a long time ago, feels like a huge part of the puzzle!

I still have 3 major doubts though. What are your current thoughts on: white sugar, coffee, and egg whites?[/QUOTE
thats
I dont like plain sugar because it lacks needed micronutrients and can exacerbate an already existing nutritional deficiency. ( I have a deficiency in Aldolase B, so fructose isn't an option for me anyways ). Coffee is probably ok for most people, but for me it has enough salicylate to cause issues, and it pushes my metabolism too high, I'm already in the 99°F area. Egg whites, even cooked bind biotin, reducing its absorption, and are pretty allergenic, so I stay away from them. @Evandrojr
That’s some great insight, thanks you so much for your input @tca300. Funny how my main issues were also bleeding, burn and also a lot of discharge. I am however still battling to figure out a diet that doesn’t cause me issues but provide all the needed macro and micros. If you’d be so kind, would you mind terribly telling me what a day of eating looks like to you, including supplements? Thank you so very much!

OP
T

tca300

I use a few grams of glycine, and vitamins A,D,K, everyday and E a few times per week. I eat mussels 2-4 times per month for manganese. And maybe once or twice per month I eat scambled egg yokes, beef, and cheese, not necessarily together. Also I use magnesium bicarbonate everyday as well. Otherwise below is what my day consists of. @Evandrojr

20180714_132149.png

Evandrojr

I use a few grams of glycine, and vitamins A,D,K, everyday and E a few times per week. I eat mussels 2-4 times per month for manganese. And maybe once or twice per month I eat scambled egg yokes, beef, and cheese, not necessarily together. Otherwise below is what my day consists of. @Evandrojr

View attachment 9860

Oh wow, that’s a pretty aggressive amount of milk! Do you not feel any discomfort at all, like bloating from the lactose, cold extremities from all the liquid, or sleepy and constipated from all the calcium?

Either way, thank you so much for sharing. I’ve been following your posts for a while now, you’re incredibly knowledgeable, sorry for all the questions!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals