Cooking Oysters

Dave Clark

I always had trouble liking oysters, but recently had some at a restuarant that were fried, and really liked them. So, when I got home I tried making a breading that I prefered and cooked them in my air fryer (forgot the name of it, check on line, there are several types) that does not need oil to cook. They turned out great, breading was crisp, inside was moist but not fishy. Ate them with a nice homemade dipping sauce. If you like them fried, air fryers are the way to go, no PUFAs from oils.

Ella

Forum Supporter
Thank you Ella.
This questions might seem stupid but I'm only just starting to get serious about cooking and food prep.

Assuming you defrost them before cooking, how long will it take to defrost in the refrigerator? What's your routine?

do I open the shell before cooking?

What heat for the oven?

I didn't realize you could freeze live oysters, I was thinking I would have to shop for oysters every other day to make sure they don't go off before I eat them :)

No your questions are never stupid, especially if you have little to no cooking experience. Oysters are kind of strange creatures when it comes to knowing how to buy, store and prepare for eating.

I buy my oysters already shucked so it saves loads of time. Take a chilled esky to the fishmongers and take home immediately after purchase. Place the half shell containing the oyster into a plastic or glass container. You can layer them on top of each other then simply pull apart frozen oysters as required. If you find them too difficult to pull apart, then place say 4 oysters into small freezer bag and then layer them into a plastic or glass container. 4 oyster should be adequate for 2 - 4 days depending on your zinc requirements.

There is no need to defrost. I pull them straight from the freezer and grill them sitting in their shell. 15 minutes at 180 - 200 degrees Celsius, should be enough to heat them through and deactivate thiaminases. The freezing process will shatter any viruses and cooking should kill other organisms. Important to buy fresh and freeze as quickly as possible. When buying, they should look nice and plump. Reject if they look shrnnken.

I tend to eat mine for breakfast and treat them as a multi-trace mineral supplement. I normally have two at a time, not every morning however, blokes need more than females because you need more zinc than girls. My daughter however, who is 21 has two daily for half the month then a break and her zinc/copper and trace minerals are all good. She also eats 500 grams of liver spread over 14 days.

If you buy them in the whole shell, then steaming them in their shells is also good in a small saucepan with a little water with a tight fitting lid should do it.

Ella

Forum Supporter
They are cooking in their own juices with this method and its great, very salty and goes well with a little lemon and hotsauce :artist:

Sounds excellent - cooking in their own juices.

Ella

Forum Supporter
Reminds me when I was hatching chickens. Around 50% are going to be roosters. Took me a long time to work up the courage to kill those beautiful looking roosters for food. I would practice on how to do the deed in my sleep. When the day arrived, it was surprising how easy the roosters made it for me. I was more stressed than them. I had imagined suffering and pain for the poor roosters. However, when placed in their position they were calm, relaxed and basically in an anaesthetised state. I thought - why did I deliberate so much? What hope did I have living a self-sustainable life style if I could not bring myself to slaughter my own animals. I still can't do lamsies - too cute or little piggies. I guess there is much to be said for living a vegan lifestyle for ******* like me. This is where men come in handy.

Those roosters made the best ever soup though.

meatbag

Reminds me when I was hatching chickens. Around 50% are going to be roosters. Took me a long time to work up the courage to kill those beautiful looking roosters for food. I would practice on how to do the deed in my sleep. When the day arrived, it was surprising how easy the roosters made it for me. I was more stressed than them. I had imagined suffering and pain for the poor roosters. However, when placed in their position they were calm, relaxed and basically in an anaesthetised state. I thought - why did I deliberate so much? What hope did I have living a self-sustainable life style if I could not bring myself to slaughter my own animals. I still can't do lamsies - too cute or little piggies. I guess there is much to be said for living a vegan lifestyle for ******* like me. This is where men come in handy.

Those roosters made the best ever soup though.

lol to me it is healthy no to want to kill things.

Last edited:

vulture

I can find fresh (alive) oysters in my city, but the seller says that they may last up to 2 or 3 days in the fridge. I'm wondering: would it be possible to keep them 2 days, then cook'em (soup) and store it for a few more days? it's far away from where I live and they usually sell 25 to 30 oysters (at least). Someone here said zinc wont be lost due to heat. What do you guys think?

Peaterpeater

No your questions are never stupid, especially if you have little to no cooking experience. Oysters are kind of strange creatures when it comes to knowing how to buy, store and prepare for eating.

I buy my oysters already shucked so it saves loads of time. Take a chilled esky to the fishmongers and take home immediately after purchase. Place the half shell containing the oyster into a plastic or glass container. You can layer them on top of each other then simply pull apart frozen oysters as required. If you find them too difficult to pull apart, then place say 4 oysters into small freezer bag and then layer them into a plastic or glass container. 4 oyster should be adequate for 2 - 4 days depending on your zinc requirements.

There is no need to defrost. I pull them straight from the freezer and grill them sitting in their shell. 15 minutes at 180 - 200 degrees Celsius, should be enough to heat them through and deactivate thiaminases. The freezing process will shatter any viruses and cooking should kill other organisms. Important to buy fresh and freeze as quickly as possible. When buying, they should look nice and plump. Reject if they look shrnnken.

I tend to eat mine for breakfast and treat them as a multi-trace mineral supplement. I normally have two at a time, not every morning however, blokes need more than females because you need more zinc than girls. My daughter however, who is 21 has two daily for half the month then a break and her zinc/copper and trace minerals are all good. She also eats 500 grams of liver spread over 14 days.

If you buy them in the whole shell, then steaming them in their shells is also good in a small saucepan with a little water with a tight fitting lid should do it.

Ella, where do buy liver spread and what brand? I can't seem to get myself to eat liver and I'm hoping that liver spread will be more palatable.

Thanks in advance.