Magnesium Chloride Oral Use

Amazoniac

burtlan, help me become you.
I have more questions than answers.

With oral supplementation you have more control of the dose (excess isn't absorbed), but at the same time it can cause indigestion. Perhaps small doses spread throughout the day. The problem isolating it from meals is that even when the lab analysis of the product shows that it's relatively clean of heavy metals, you take a considerable amount: with trace elements it isn't as much of a problem as it's for electrolytes. The contamination adds up when you ingest grams of the product a day, lead is usually a concern with magnesium.

Like I mentioned before, the skin should be a better filter for those things than the intestines, at least in theory, because picking your food is already the first screening for discarting what's not desirable. But then comes the problem with forcing minerals in the body in a "deal with it" fashion. It's difficult to control.

How to Cure Aging
natedawwgh mentioned there chloride affecting bicarbonate. It got me thinking that Mark Sircus is one of the main names spreading the word on magnesium supplementation, the guy even suggests massages using it, but the other part of the story is that he also advocates sodium bicarbonate, which is often overlooked. Magnesium chloride that we use is only 12% magnesium, chloride for some reason is simply ignored as if it didn't affect anything.

Antacid attenuates the laxative action of magnesia in cancer patients receiving opioid analgesic
"The water‐soluble MgCl2 is converted in the duodenum to magnesium bicarbonate by the following formulation: MgCl2 + 2NaHCO3 → Mg(HCO3)2 + 2NaCl. Yamasaki et al.9 reported that magnesium bicarbonate produced in the duodenum increases the osmotic pressure within the intestines, stimulates water exudation and softens the stool, which leads to laxative effect of magnesia."
If hypothyroidism is indeed marked by a great loss of sodium, magnesium chloride and its potential laxative effect is a cause of concern, perhaps even more sodium is excreted, and also affecting bicarbonate levels in a negative way.

https://traceminerals.com/chloride-the-forgotten-essential-mineral/
"A constant exchange of chloride and bicarbonate, between red blood cells and the plasma helps to govern the pH balance and transport of carbon dioxide"

Excess minerals, if not enough to cause a discharge, can feed problematic microbes in the intestines before they are absorbed. I also posted a group of researchers activating dormant bacteria with iron but also magnesium. Excess minerals are also incorporated into biofilms, if you believe that it's a cause of concern.

milk_lover

I have some that was sold as grip enhancement for weightlifting. I wonder if it's pure enough for oral consumption.
I have tried pure magnesium carbonate powder before (from PureBulk) and it gives me stomach pain.. I would like to experiment with it some time in the future though.. Maybe through skin if anybody has an idea how.. @raypeatclips is the champion of magnesium lol maybe he can help here..

raypeatclips

I have tried pure magnesium carbonate powder before (from PureBulk) and it gives me stomach pain.. I would like to experiment with it some time in the future though.. Maybe through skin if anybody has an idea how.. @raypeatclips is the champion of magnesium lol maybe he can help here..

Yeah it is very common for magnesium to bother people's guts. Some people have success with the magnesium bicarbonate water that is mentioned a lot on the forum. For the skin either Epsom salt baths or magnesium chloride sprays/foot baths are the most common way of doing things through the skin and have many testimonials on the internet. Peat has recommended Epsom salt baths before.

milk_lover

Yeah it is very common for magnesium to bother people's guts. Some people have success with the magnesium bicarbonate water that is mentioned a lot on the forum. For the skin either Epsom salt baths or magnesium chloride sprays/foot baths are the most common way of doing things through the skin and have many testimonials on the internet. Peat has recommended Epsom salt baths before.
I am not that great at chemistry, can I make magnesium bicarbonate from pure magnesium carbonate powder?

raypeatclips

yeah I saw that before raypeatclips.. That thread discusses milk of magnesia to magnesium bicarbonate.. I have no access to milk of magnesia here in Korea.. So my question was if I can convert magnesium carbonate to magnesium bicarbonate..

I have no idea. Mag hydroxide is the magnesium used in milk of magnesia, are you able to get a mag hydroxide powder or capsules you can open?

Frankdee20

Magnesium Solution by Cardiovascular Research in the glass bottle available at Vitamin Shoppe provides the Chloride and Acetate forms. No excipients other than deionized water. Roughly a teaspoon provides 133mg elemental MG. It's an amazing product that I've used for a while. I have used many forms and many brands, but the Chloride is exceptional. Yeah it's salty, but so what, mix it with OJ. The muscle relaxing effects can be felt almost immediately. For 7 to 10 bucks how do you get hurt ?

passivity

Firstly, Ray's quote comes from Pierre Delbet, the original discoverer of the effects of magnesium chloride on the activity of white blood cells.

Delbet proved that areas in France with low soil magnesium had higher cancer incidence than areas with high soil magnesium. He corroborated this with other countries like Italy and England.

Delbet himself got the association with cancer after inadvertently curing his life long, recidiving pre-cancerous dysplasia lesions over both ears (hereditary; required triple surgeries)) with daily magnesium chloride.

He proposed at the french parliament to cut cancer incidence by supplementing the soil with dolomite (rich in magnesium).

Today we know at least 3 effects that would explain the anti-cancer effects:
- it enhances x 2.5 - x 3 the activity of white blood cells
- it stimulates the synthesis of DHEA, the anti-cancer hormone
- it helps the body to detoxify heavy metals (led, arsenic, mercury, etc)
There might be other anti-cancer effects, but that's the current state of my magnesium knowledge at the moment.

There's a top magnesium researcher, Mildred Seelig, that has confirmed on animals that low magnesium diet predisposes to lymphoma and leukemia

Magnesium in Oncogenesis

Should leukemic patients supplement on magnesium? That's above my knowledge, saddly.

Concerning my earlier statement on not taking pure magnesium chloride daily, i'll have to take that back, because i've not been able to recoup that with other trusted sources. Personally, i've switched to pure magnesium chloride after getting tired of the salty taste of NIGARI.
I feel truly wonderful on it (3 grams a day, which comes to about 400 mg of elemental magnesium), even though i do get moderately loose stools most of the days.

I'll keep the forum posted on whether i catch or not a cold, lol. But considering how well i feel, it would surprise me.

Thanks a lot!

B

Braveheart

Magnesium Solution by Cardiovascular Research in the glass bottle available at Vitamin Shoppe provides the Chloride and Acetate forms. No excipients other than deionized water. Roughly a teaspoon provides 133mg elemental MG. It's an amazing product that I've used for a while. I have used many forms and many brands, but the Chloride is exceptional. Yeah it's salty, but so what, mix it with OJ. The muscle relaxing effects can be felt almost immediately. For 7 to 10 bucks how do you get hurt ?
:thumbsup:

milk_lover

Do you think drinking magnesium chloride is superior to applying it on skin?

Frankdee20

Do you think drinking magnesium chloride is superior to applying it on skin?

I've never used Magnesium topically and never tried Epsom salts, I'm also not versed in which application has greater utilization and absorption.

Amazoniac

John Libbey Eurotext - Magnesium Research - The influence of magnesium supplementation on concentrations of chosen bioelements and toxic metals in adult human hair. Magnesium and chosen bioelements in hair

"Supplementation was performed using the Slow Mag B6 magnesium preparation at a dose of 5 tablets per day divided into 2-3 doses. One tablet contains 535 mg of magnesium chloride i.e. 64 mg of magnesium ions (5.26 mEgMg2) and 5 mg of vitamin B6. The patients were supplemented for 3 months."
"Four patients from the treated group (supplemented with magnesium) reported the presence of loose stools during the magnesium administration. These complaints subsided once the mode of magnesium administration was changed (after main meals)." :ss

"The results of the research revealed an increase in concentrations of magnesium and copper in the human body after 3 months of magnesium supplementation."

"Supplementation with magnesium caused a statistically significant decrease in concentrations of lead and cadmium; that observation indicates that supplementation with magnesium may be used for reduction of the concentration of toxic metals in the human body."
Decreasing lead is somewhat surprising giving the fact that most magnesium supplements are contaminated with it.​

Last edited:

Kray

John Libbey Eurotext - Magnesium Research - The influence of magnesium supplementation on concentrations of chosen bioelements and toxic metals in adult human hair. Magnesium and chosen bioelements in hair

"Supplementation was performed using the Slow Mag B6 magnesium preparation at a dose of 5 tablets per day divided into 2-3 doses. One tablet contains 535 mg of magnesium chloride i.e. 64 mg of magnesium ions (5.26 mEgMg2) and 5 mg of vitamin B6. The patients were supplemented for 3 months."
"Four patients from the treated group (supplemented with magnesium) reported the presence of loose stools during the magnesium administration. These complaints subsided once the mode of magnesium administration was changed (after main meals)." :ss

"The results of the research revealed an increase in concentrations of magnesium and copper in the human body after 3 months of magnesium supplementation."

"Supplementation with magnesium caused a statistically significant decrease in concentrations of lead and cadmium; that observation indicates that supplementation with magnesium may be used for reduction of the concentration of toxic metals in the human body."
Decreasing lead is somewhat surprising giving the fact that most magnesium supplements are contaminated with it.​

@Amazoniac: How very interesting, and reassuring, if true! I have been looking into various Mg products, trying to get away from just one form, and picked up on importance of presence of B6 in supplementing Mg. Is there something about B6 presence that results in this paradox? Or the form of Mg being used? Would love to find out more on this issue. Thanks for sharing this!

vulture

In Ray's book From PMS to Menopause, he recommends 500 mg of magnesium as chloride (specifically to treat cervical dysplasia in women). I assume this is an oral dose, as it is one in a list of many oral supps. Does anyone have experience and a recommended source for an oral magnesium chloride?

I have found 2 liquids, one including lactic acid, one with potassium sorbate, both less than ideal additives. Can magnesium oil be taken orally? Thanks!
I have taken up to 600/700 mg of Mg chloride, tastes horrible, but with enough juice it's not so bad. It can be diluted in water. No problem so far

Amazoniac

@Amazoniac: How very interesting, and reassuring, if true! I have been looking into various Mg products, trying to get away from just one form, and picked up on importance of presence of B6 in supplementing Mg. Is there something about B6 presence that results in this paradox? Or the form of Mg being used? Would love to find out more on this issue. Thanks for sharing this!
MgCl2 hexahydrate is 47% MgCl2 and 12% Mg. So 35% is chloride.
For comparison, sodium chloride is 40% sodium and 60% chloride. For the magnesium chloride supplement it would be like 35% magnesium and 75% chloride if you disconsider the hydration.
The extra chloride is not a problem at all for a healthy person, but in a compromised person it can be taxing to neutralize the excess if a lot is given at once. I suspect that chloride is absorbed way faster if applied topically, which is why you have to leave magnesium for a while to allow the slow absorption to occur.

Regarding synergistic nutrients, it's quite simple actually, you can just supplement a bit on each meal or during meals. And then you don't need to worry about micromanaging things. Excess magnesium in relation to potassium should be a strange and unusual signal.

Kray

@Amazoniac: Do you supplement MgCl2 and if so, orally or topically? I have been taking mine orally, about 360mg/day, according to mfg directions. Would this be excessive in one dose, based upon your understanding? I have liquid Bs that I mix in with the solution- actually improves the overly-salty taste- so that would give me the B6.

And from your post back in July, where you said, “... excess minerals, if not enough to cause a discharge, can feed problematic microbes...”, can you explain what you meant by “if not enough to cause discharge”?[/QUOTE]

Amazoniac

@Amazoniac: Do you supplement MgCl2 and if so, orally or topically? I have been taking mine orally, about 360mg/day, according to mfg directions. Would this be excessive in one dose, based upon your understanding? I have liquid Bs that I mix in with the solution- actually improves the overly-salty taste- so that would give me the B6.

And from your post back in July, where you said, “... excess minerals, if not enough to cause a discharge, can feed problematic microbes...”, can you explain what you meant by “if not enough to cause discharge”?
Yes, once in a while, both routes. I think you can spread the dose. But I change my opinion a lot on magnesium, so don't rely on it.

It's not a concern if there's stasis, then anything can become a problem and the more you supplement, the greater the chances of worsening the problem up until you have enough of it to make the intestines move.

Kray

Are you saying not good to take too much just for the sake of regularity? Would you clarify?

Have you a personal favorite form, if not MgCl2? Seems I need to take more MgCl2 than I already do to keep regular, which is why I used to use Mg citrate almost exclusively. Maybe a question for another thread, but what about a combo formula of glycinate, lysinate, carbonate, and citrate?

Last edited: