Taurine Protects Hair And Inhibits TGF-beta1

aguilaroja

uuy8778yyi said:
north said:
post 59860
Since Peat says minoxidil works by increasing NO, which is a vasodilator during stress with long term negative 9
isn't NO bad ?

Yes, AFAIK, Dr. Peat views Nitric Oxide as an agent of stress response and decline. See, for instance:

http://raypeat.com/articles/other/auton ... tems.shtml
"Nitric oxide and histamine are both very important factors in degenerative inflammatory diseases, but their association with the parasympathetic nervous system has given them an aura of benevolence."

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/gr ... mone.shtml
"Estrogen, growth hormone, and nitric oxide, which tend to work as a system, along with free fatty acids, all increase the permeability of blood vessels."

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/ho ... ging.shtml
"Nitric oxide increases in women in association with the menopause (Watanabe, et al., 2000), and it is increased by inflammation, and hot flushes are associated with various mediators of inflammation...."

Last edited by a moderator:

ddjd

After reading some stuff about taurine from Haidut, it finally caught my eye when i read its a vasodilator and lowers adrenaline. IIRC Charlie also posted about how taurine made his adrenaline go down substantially when he tried it.
Since Peat says minoxidil works by increasing NO, which is a vasodilator during stress with long term negative effects, i thought maybe there is something to it. Hairs have also been shown to be inefficient in the way they produce atp, and generates a lot of lactic acid. So there might be a low CO2 environment in the scalp, CO2 protects against lactic acid, and increasing blood flow and CO2 might be good for the hair.

Taurine seems to not only be a vasodilator but also its taken up by hair bulb, protects it as well as inhibits TGF-beta1, which inhibits hair growth and causes fibrosis!

"Taurine is a naturally occurring beta-amino acid produced by methionine and cysteine metabolism. It is involved in a variety of physiological functions, including immunomodulatory and antifibrotic. Taking advantage of the ability of human hair follicle grown in vitro to recapitulate most of the characteristic features of normal hair follicle in vivo, we studied (i) taurine uptake by isolated human hair follicles; (ii) its effects on hair growth and survival rate; and (iii) its protective potential against transforming growth factor (TGF)-beta1, an inhibitor of in vitro hair growth and a master switch of fibrotic program. We showed that taurine was taken up by the connective tissue sheath, proximal outer root sheath and hair bulb, promoted hair survival in vitro and prevented TGF-beta1-induced deleterious effects on hair follicle."
Protective effects of taurine on human hair follicle grown in vitro. - PubMed - NCBI
I just read this study which says "T4 also prolongs the duration of the hair growth phase (anagen) in vitro, possibly due to the down-regulation of TGF-beta2, the key anagen-inhibitory growth factor."

Can you clarify in layman's terms is this suggesting that T4 is good for the hair?

Here's the full link

Thyroid hormones directly alter human hair follicle functions: anagen prolongation and stimulation of both hair matrix keratinocyte proliferation and... - PubMed - NCBI

johnwester130

What if taurine regrows hair via fixing the heart ventricle and making the heart pump normally again?

This would correlate to the fact baldness is heart disease

I don't believe taurine could work topically.

brix

What if taurine regrows hair via fixing the heart ventricle and making the heart pump normally again?

This would correlate to the fact baldness is heart disease

I don't believe taurine could work topically.
I have a heart murmur that developed right around the time my hair loss started. Wonder if they are correlated.

haidut

Forum Supporter
I have a heart murmur that developed right around the time my hair loss started. Wonder if they are correlated.

Yes, they are. Heart murmur is due to estrogen/cortisol and low androgens, all of which are involved in hair loss. Just Google for "estrogen heart murmur" or "cortisol heart murmur".

Arrade

Yes, they are. Heart murmur is due to estrogen/cortisol and low androgens, all of which are involved in hair loss. Just Google for "estrogen heart murmur" or "cortisol heart murmur".
High androgens also raise metabolism, specifically calcium metabolism, so if you don't get enough D,K, magnesium it will lead to soft tissue calcification.
And then angina.

Arrade

Atherosclerosis is caused by cholesterol plaques, calcium deposits, fibrosis, and waste product buildup.
Fibrosis is just one part of the bloodflow issue in hairloss

haidut

Forum Supporter
High androgens also raise metabolism, specifically calcium metabolism, so if you don't get enough D,K, magnesium it will lead to soft tissue calcification.
And then angina.

Soft tissue calcification is a hallmark of low metabolic states, not high ones. In order to have high androgens endogenously all other factors like vitamin D/K, calcium, etc must also be pretty optimal. So, the only way to have high androgens without the other factors being optimal is to administer those androgens exogenously. But even then, many of them are known to reverse or at least oppose soft tissue calcification.
Androgens (androsterone/DHEA/T) Are Calcium Channel Blockers / Antagonists
Role of adrenal androgens in the development of arteriosclerosis as judged by pulse wave velocity and calcification of the aorta. - PubMed - NCBI

High androgens are known (in high doses) to cause palpitations and sometimes blood pressure increase but not angina. The angina is usually a symptoms of calcification, which is itself most often due to cortisol and aldosterone.
Cortisol And Aldosterone Cause Vascular Calcification

Considering androgens often oppose both cortisol and aldosterone, this is another protective mechanism of action they have against calcification.

Arrade

Soft tissue calcification is a hallmark of low metabolic states, not high ones. In order to have high androgens endogenously all other factors like vitamin D/K, calcium, etc must also be pretty optimal. So, the only way to have high androgens without the other factors being optimal is to administer those androgens exogenously. But even then, many of them are known to reverse or at least oppose soft tissue calcification.
Androgens (androsterone/DHEA/T) Are Calcium Channel Blockers / Antagonists
Role of adrenal androgens in the development of arteriosclerosis as judged by pulse wave velocity and calcification of the aorta. - PubMed - NCBI

High androgens are known (in high doses) to cause palpitations and sometimes blood pressure increase but not angina. The angina is usually a symptoms of calcification, which is itself most often due to cortisol and aldosterone.
Cortisol And Aldosterone Cause Vascular Calcification

Considering androgens often oppose both cortisol and aldosterone, this is another protective mechanism of action they have against calcification.
I see. That makes sense, I was thinking rather from AAS. You're point about natural testosterone needing those factors seems to negate the issue.

brix

Right on. My androgens were low at the time. Not sure where they sit now.

ddjd

Interesting that they say it's produced by methionine and cysteine metabolism. I hope taking it doesn't increase them because RP warned of their methylating, aging-inducing, and anti-thyroid effects.
it actually blocks methionine absorption