People Losing Their Sh*t On Reddit Post Quoting Ray Peat On Avocado

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:ss2

YourUniverse

There was a post on r/nutrition titled "is sugar really that bad for you?" or something along those lines. The responses were typical, citing studies ranging from how it causes disease and obesity in humans all the way to 'it is a drug'.

I posted a comment that Ray Peat loves sugar and says it is the crux of good health, and it got downvoted.

theLaw

People Losing Their Sh*t On Reddit Post Quoting ___________ (just fill in the blank with anything).:eek:

Zpol

No?! -It's sort of comical how the discussion gets very emotional fast. (Why is that, btw?)

It is because of cognitive dissonance.
And the dogma that surrounds different dietary protocols.
I have put dietary talk in the same basket as politics and religion when it comes to having a rational conversation.

Basically, a lot of people modify their life around their diet to the point it becomes part of their identity. If you try to have a rational conversation with them and something comes up that causes them to think a long held belief is detrimental in some way, you threaten a prominent aspect of their identity, and even their world view in some cases. This causes a conflict in their mind, human minds don't like conflict, they will find any way to reconcile the conflict, usually this means emotionally driven responses instead of rational.

c3hlz5tjr7vz.jpg

Hugh Johnson

Reddit is the worst, most authoritarian site I have ever participated in. **** them. It probably has to do with their voting system making every place a circlejerk, and all the hired shills populating the place.

TeaRex14

One correction, people on Reddit aren't losing their sh*t. You can't lose what you never had, lol. Peat isn't forcing anyone to take his advice, so likely these people wanted to start up trouble because a conflicting opinion brought out some insecurities they had about their own beliefs. Or perhaps they were just ignorant of who Ray Peat was. I mean, how many times do you hear Peat's name mentioned in the mainstream? I for one, have never heard his name mentioned, not once. But I've heard all sorts of crap about vegan, paleo, low carb, atkins, med, etc. Peat is obviously doing something right, he's what, 87 or 88? Still alive and still occasionally doing interviews, one with Danny not too long ago.

Runenight201

Reddit is the worst, most authoritarian site I have ever participated in. **** them. It probably has to do with their voting system making every place a circlejerk, and all the hired shills populating the place.

I enjoy commenting on reddit. Every subreddit consists of a different population of people, each with their own generalized values. The top subreddits such as r/all and r/funny or r/aww give you a vantage into the typical western personality type, while more niche subreddits will have different personalities. Spending enough time there and one gets to learn the personalities of the various subreddits. Once learnt, I’ve enjoyed posting my opinions with various slants in order to win or lose the favor of the crowd. When I get downvoted, I enjoy reflecting on what the opinions and values of the subreddit I was operating in, and where my statement generated such a negative response. I most appreciate having conversations with people who are of an opposing viewpoint, mainly to round out my stances on things. I hate it when I get downvoted and then no one responds, that’s annoying.

That being said I don’t really use it for content or anything like that, I mainly use it to advance my opinions and values, as well as see how they are received.

lvysaur

IMO it's healthier to just accept that certain swathes of the population will have irrational, ideologically inclined thinking, not based on anything other than "what they heard and stuff".

That includes many on this website as well. I saw some unbecoming behavior from the Peat side in that thread (including calling someone an idiot for simply suggesting that ALA has benefits, which, while wrong, is an understandable view to have as it's a very mainstream milquetoast one).

Discourse would be a lot better if more people would "know what they don't know", but unfortunately unwarranted religious confidence is the rule.

No?! -It's sort of comical how the discussion gets very emotional fast. (Why is that, btw?)
America

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals