Niacin Vs. Niacinamide

rei

Why are most people here speaking of and recommending niacinamide, when AFAIK niacin has the same effects except that it also improves the cholesterol profile? Are there some notable effects that only the amide achieves that i have completely missed?

paymanz

Why are most people here speaking of and recommending niacinamide, when AFAIK niacin has the same effects except that it also improves the cholesterol profile? Are there some notable effects that only the amide achieves that i have completely missed?
At least one reason is rebound effect of niacin on free fatty acid levels.

Another is that amide form increase nad+ better than niacin.but I'm not sure.

And Niacinamide is what ray recommends when he speaks about supplements.

Xisca

Very interresting question, as I was wandering about the difference or if it was similar, as niacin is the most common form in supplements.

johnwester130

ray peat has recommended nicotinamide riboside, and you need much less, only about 10mg

Lucenzo01

Niacin ime is way better than niacinamide. Anyway, the best for one person may not be the best for someone else. Try both and decide.

InChristAlone

I have yet to work up the courage to try niacin. If it increases my heart rate it will be a no go. But I do fine with niacinamide.

Birdie

Niacin ime is way better than niacinamide. Anyway, the best for one person may not be the best for someone else. Try both and decide.
So, you disagree with Peat. You say to try each. Ray doesn't advise that. Although, there are many times he does advise trying something to see how you do with it.

Have you read what Ray Peat has to say? It would be far more interesting, on the Ray Peat Forum, to see you refute RP on niacinamide point by point. Or on just a point or two.

What-a-Riot

when you say "refute niacinamide" you make it sound like he's coming in from an anti-niacinamide angle rather than just saying the nicotinic acid form is a viable option which might be more beneficial for certain people in certain contexts

sladerunner69

So, you disagree with Peat. You say to try each. Ray doesn't advise that. Although, there are many times he does advise trying something to see how you do with it.

Have you read what Ray Peat has to say? It would be far more interesting, on the Ray Peat Forum, to see you refute RP on niacinamide point by point. Or on just a point or two.

Oh my gosh, are you please going to respond to this?

I think niacinimide gives me very intense dreams especially over 500mg per day.

Frankdee20

Niacin opens up the capillaries and makes me feel warm and tingly all over :)
I use it to enhance my encounters

Dave Clark

Some where else on this forum there was discussion on the drawbacks of niacin. I think it can mess with your blood sugar more, release histamine, and various things I can't remember. Also, I know when you get into megadoses, niacin can raise liver enzymes, years ago my alternative doctor wanted me to use it in the 3 gram range to lower cholesterol, but said I would have to do blood tests every several months for liver function. I didn't then, and don't now believe it is wise to force cholesterol down with drugs or high dose niacin. Get to the root cause of your health problems, and cholesterol will fix itself. I switched to niacinamide, but I got to tell you, I miss the buzz of the niacin flush!

Frankdee20

Oh yeah, Niacin in grams is crazy. I'd only pop 100 mg here and there, infrequently. It releases histamine yes, but I read that it lowers it in the long run because those are reserves.

J

jb116

Niacin from food is perfectly fine but when supplements are in the equation it turns on the nitric oxide system. Peat has mentioned this before as well. There is a reason for the "niacin flush."

Birdie

Oh my gosh, are you please going to respond to this?

I think niacinimide gives me very intense dreams especially over 500mg per day.
Sorry @sladerunner69 . Didn't see this til now.
I think somebody said, "niacin ime is much better than niacinamide."
Then said to try each. (I didn't see the "ime" part.)
The statements came off sounding authoritarian to me.
Maybe I got it wrong, often do.

Simba1992

Have been taking both Niacinamide and Niacin. Niacinamide for a longer period 2,5-3g for rheumathoid arthritis. Started to feel nauseous at one point and stopped. As the the clinically effective dose in Dr. Kaufmans studies had been as high as 4g, I thought I would never manage this since nausea was supposed to tell you that it was enough for your liver. Then I read a book about Niacin where Abram Hoffer, evidently an expert on the vit was cited.

He did not mention of any ill effects of the flushing. In fact the flushing was usually something that would disappear. He also said that the flushing in fact tells you how much you need the vit. Very sick people usually do not get the flushing reaction before getting on high doses and when they heal they start flusing at smaller doses(?)

About the histamine reaction. I wonder. I have been taking relatively high doses of aspirine and have had a reaction to aspirin. While taking Niacinamide the histamine reaction was the same. Now when taking Niacin and adding Vit. C 2x1000 I no longer have the histamine reaction.

As Dr. Kaufman this Dr.Hoffer treated RA patients but with Niacin, with good results. With a daily dose of 3g 3x1000mg. Sounded like an easier protocol to follow.

Would be happy to hear your thoughts!

Soren

Forum Supporter
I wonder if the histamine release although acutely might not be very healthy might have the long term benefit of depleting histamine from your mast cells?