Is There A Reasonable Way To Get Vitamins B1, B2, B3, B6 From Food?

OP
yerrag

yerrag

you have to get it on amazon, that kind he says isn't in stores when i tried to find it
I tried that earlier. It isn't easy to differentiate yeasts with b's in them from those where b supplements are added in. And I think you have to get the yeasts that aren't active, right?

Arnold Grape

I tried that earlier. It isn't easy to differentiate yeasts with b's in them from those where b supplements are added in. And I think you have to get the yeasts that aren't active, right?
Yeah, it's the Bluebonnet brand, but I believe there are others ...

paymanz

I wondering isnt there any bad stuff in yeast?! Allergens and stuff like that?!

tara

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Yeah, it's the Bluebonnet brand, but I believe there are others ...

Ray Peat, PhD on Brewer’s Yeast – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)
Estrogen.
Complex carbs.
Maybe other stuff.
Hot water extract apparently gets much of the good stuff and leaves lots of the less desirables in the sediment.

Thanks. It seems a whole lot of trouble, don't you think? I was looking at the nutrition label, and 20 grams is needed to get enough b vitamins listed, and then I have to put it in hot water for a few minutes, and then drink the water and throw away the rest. I might as well go with using some b1 and b2 powders. The problem with using powders, though, is that a teeny bit of say 1 or 2 mg, it's hard to measure with my scale. Do I get a Mettler balance for that?

DrJ

Brewer's yeast is good in moderation. I grew to like the taste of a tablespoon mixed in orange juice, but you don't want to take it too often b/c the estrogenic effects, but vitamin B should help the liver remove estrogen. Brewer's yeast raised on molasses will have less problematic grain things (like gluten) than brewer's yeast raised on grains.

Speaking of liver, I'm surprised no one said liver as a dietary source of vitamin B. It has an incredible amount of B-12, and a decent amount of B-6. Edit: I just noticed that someone did so I second that :)

Last edited:

tara

It seems a whole lot of trouble, don't you think?
About on par with making a cup of tea or coffee?
I'm not in the habit. I got a taste for brewers yeast many years ago as a savoury seasoning, but it seemed to give me headaches, so I stopped. Haven't tried the hot water decantation yet to see if it serves me better.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

morgan#1

I started using pure maple syrup. 5 tbsp gives me more than the RDA of b2, also it has more than the RDA of manganese, a little copper, more zinc, and it has a little bit of calcium (as a plus it has 0% phosphorus, so your calcium/phosphorous ratio is good). And it has a few others, barely visible on chronometer. I am impressed with this stuff. I use it in milk (as per another thread), but you could really take it as a supplement for b2 and manganese...and sugar/carbs.

morgan#1

I started using pure maple syrup. 5 tbsp gives me more than the RDA of b2, also it has a lot of manganese, a little copper, more zinc, and it has a little bit of calcium (as a plus it has 0% phosphorus, so your calcium/phosphorous ratio is good). And it has a few others, barely visible on chronometer. I am impressed with this stuff. I use it in milk (as per another thread), but you could really take it on it’s own, (yummy) as a supplement for b2 and manganese...as well as sugar/carbs.

Jon

@yerrag hey man, don't know if you figured out a solution but one I think is worth considering is home made bread with white spelt flour.

Proofing your dough properly (long rise times) should produce lots of yeast, get rid of any physic acid left from hull that wasn't milled out, and in turn give you a pretty comprehensive amount of nearly the full spectrum of b vitamins and most minerals (in the form of yeast).

I make my own bread, not the easiest thing to learn but I think prepared the right way it's a viable form of starchy carbs that tastes great and can be Peat friendly. If you're interested I can give you a recipe :)

L

lollipop

@yerrag hey man, don't know if you figured out a solution but one I think is worth considering is home made bread with white spelt flour.

Proofing your dough properly (long rise times) should produce lots of yeast, get rid of any physic acid left from hull that wasn't milled out, and in turn give you a pretty comprehensive amount of nearly the full spectrum of b vitamins and most minerals (in the form of yeast).

I make my own bread, not the easiest thing to learn but I think prepared the right way it's a viable form of starchy carbs that tastes great and can be Peat friendly. If you're interested I can give you a recipe :)
Hi @Jon I am not @yerrag :): but would love if you share your recipe.

L

lollipop

Sure thing! Should I make a thread for it? Do you think others in here would be interested? I know many are anti starch lol
Definitely make a thread! I am certain others would be interested. Many many people visit here. Everyone has different needs at different times.

tara

Sure thing! Should I make a thread for it? Do you think others in here would be interested? I know many are anti starch lol
There's a recipe section in the forum for this, and already at least one bread recipe:
Easy No Knead Bread Recipe

Peat doesn't seem to be a fan of wheat bread, or starchy foods in general, but he's pointed to long-leavening as a way to degrade the gluten.
There are lots of people here who eat starchy foods regularly, and some who eat wheat and bread.

Jon

There's a recipe section in the forum for this, and already at least one bread recipe:
Easy No Knead Bread Recipe

Peat doesn't seem to be a fan of wheat bread, or starchy foods in general, but he's pointed to long-leavening as a way to degrade the gluten.
There are lots of people here who eat starchy foods regularly, and some who eat wheat and bread.

Oh haha didn't know!

The only differences are mine does require kneading and though spelt is a cousin of wheat it is an heirloom grain of a couple thousand years so I think it might be a little better than regular wheat.

tara

The only differences are mine does require kneading and though spelt is a cousin of wheat it is an heirloom grain of a couple thousand years so I think it might be a little better than regular wheat.
Yes, wouldn't surprise me if you are right about spelt being easier to handle than some of the recent wheat variants.
By all means add your own recipe.
I wonder if the no-knead method would work with spelt too.
I'm trying to give my system a break from wheat ATM, but if that changes in the future I might try spelt.

Jon

Yes, wouldn't surprise me if you are right about spelt being easier to handle than some of the recent wheat variants.
By all means add your own recipe.
I wonder if the no-knead method would work with spelt too.
I'm trying to give my system a break from wheat ATM, but if that changes in the future I might try spelt.

Well I posted the recipe :) so you're welcome to have at it if you feel compelled!

Kray

Thanks. It seems a whole lot of trouble, don't you think? I was looking at the nutrition label, and 20 grams is needed to get enough b vitamins listed, and then I have to put it in hot water for a few minutes, and then drink the water and throw away the rest. I might as well go with using some b1 and b2 powders. The problem with using powders, though, is that a teeny bit of say 1 or 2 mg, it's hard to measure with my scale. Do I get a Mettler balance for that?

What about nutritional yeast? It is not made from grains, as brewer's yeast is, but from sugarcane and beet molasses, and is deactivated by hot water in the process of making it. Here is a brand I'm just now trying, keep in mind it doesn't have huge B levels, being non-fortified with Bs, but gives a good base along with some other minerals: Foods Alive, Superfoods, Nutritional Yeast, 6 oz (170 g)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals