Why Does Peat Recommended Refined Coconut Oil As Opposed To Organic Virgin Coconut Oil?

torontomike

Hello fellow Peatarian's, just looking for feedback on why Ray Peat recommends the refined coconut oil? I find that much harder to find than organic Virgin coconut oil. Thanks for your input, cheers! -Mike

Soybean

Depending on it what way it is refined, but it would generally contain a higher percentage of sfa (and so less mufa and pufa).

But I wouldn't stress it too much. I use what I can find, which is generally organic virgin as well.

marcar72

If I recall correctly, I believe that recommendation for refined coconut oil was in regards to people that might have some allergic reaction to the nutrients found in virgin coconut oil. I prefer virgin coconut oil myself. :2cents:

tara

AIUI, Peat has said coconut proteins can be allergenic for some people. The refined oil avoids that problem. If it doesn't bother you at all it may be no problem for you, and just a matter of taste. Where I am, refined (little flavour) coconut oil costs half as much or less than the organic virgin oil that tastes of coconut. I use both - the flavourful one sometimes when I'm wanting the flavour, the refined more often when I don't.

Dr. B

AIUI, Peat has said coconut proteins can be allergenic for some people. The refined oil avoids that problem. If it doesn't bother you at all it may be no problem for you, and just a matter of taste. Where I am, refined (little flavour) coconut oil costs half as much or less than the organic virgin oil that tastes of coconut. I use both - the flavourful one sometimes when I'm wanting the flavour, the refined more often when I don't.
does the same apply to coconut water, being raw vs pasteurized? I imagine pasteurizing the coconut water would rid it of the allergenic proteins compared to raw fresh coconut water?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals