Topical Progesterone And Hair Growth - Why Does It Work?

lindsay

Cool. So what do you use it for if I may ask? Have you seen that it helps hair growth?

I would have to say that taking thyroid and progesterone together definitely had an effect on the thickness of my hair (it's much thicker now than it was), as well as my eyelashes, which have grown longer and stronger. Granted, I was not balding by any means and did not start using either thyroid or progesterone for hair purposes (I use them for female hormonal balance), I just noticed that I was losing a lot less hair on my brush when I began taking the two together.

That being said, my husband has fantastic thick hair and I'm still trying to figure out why. Part of it's genetics - he seems to have a high metabolism in general and can handle stress much better than most people. He doesn't work out, but has a labor intensive job. Sometimes I think there is no rhyme or reason to hair or hair loss (at least nothing obvious). For example, our Russian neighbor in Estonia (where we have a summer shack), has fantastic hair. He had to work in Chernobyl shortly after the nuclear disaster many years ago and he said most of his friends were losing their hair and he came back with a full head of hair and a crazy beard (which he still has - not to mention eyebrows). He doesn't have the healthiest lifestyle either - he's a chain smoker and drinks beer from morning until he goes to sleep (along with coffee and tea). But he lives in a clean air environment (aside from the smoke), and has little stress in comparison to most people in the Western Hemisphere. Go figure.

Brandon

I would have to say that taking thyroid and progesterone together definitely had an effect on the thickness of my hair (it's much thicker now than it was), as well as my eyelashes, which have grown longer and stronger. Granted, I was not balding by any means and did not start using either thyroid or progesterone for hair purposes (I use them for female hormonal balance), I just noticed that I was losing a lot less hair on my brush when I began taking the two together.

That being said, my husband has fantastic thick hair and I'm still trying to figure out why. Part of it's genetics - he seems to have a high metabolism in general and can handle stress much better than most people. He doesn't work out, but has a labor intensive job. Sometimes I think there is no rhyme or reason to hair or hair loss (at least nothing obvious). For example, our Russian neighbor in Estonia (where we have a summer shack), has fantastic hair. He had to work in Chernobyl shortly after the nuclear disaster many years ago and he said most of his friends were losing their hair and he came back with a full head of hair and a crazy beard (which he still has - not to mention eyebrows). He doesn't have the healthiest lifestyle either - he's a chain smoker and drinks beer from morning until he goes to sleep (along with coffee and tea). But he lives in a clean air environment (aside from the smoke), and has little stress in comparison to most people in the Western Hemisphere. Go figure.
Nice. Tell you husband congrats on the hair. I will try this out and hope for the best.

Pointless

When I said there is PUFA in the vitamin E, I was referring to this:

"The only odd thing is that I have a bottle of vitamin E by itlself and it's not nearly as viscous as the progest-E."

Progest-E has plant-based triglycerides in it, but presumably no PUFA.

Brandon

Hair loss is mostly a prolactin/cortisol excess, which suffocates the uptake of thyroid hormone into the follicles.
The DHT theory of baldness is just as criminally dumb as the one about DHT causing prostate cancer. Injections of testosterone directly into the prostate stopped terminal prostate cancer.
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=5579
Btw, the prostate contains the highest concentration of the 5-AR enzyme so most of that testosterone converted into DHT. How's that for the correctness of that theory?
Not to plug you, but in light of what you said about thyroid hormone not getting into the follicles, do you think that putting tyromax on the scalp would be helpful ?

haidut

Forum Supporter
Not to plug you, but in light of what you said about thyroid hormone not getting into the follicles, do you think that putting tyromax on the scalp would be helpful ?

I meant suffocate as in prevents it from getting into the follicles from the blood. I think topical would still work as topical caffeine did and oral caffeine so far has not been shown to have the same effects.

Brandon

Interesting, thanks. I've been looking for topical caffeine everywhere. Is there anything over-counter?

Last night, I put the whole bottle of progest-e in an application bottle. Then added some vitamin-e oil, then some olive-oil, both of which kind of decreased the viscosity of the progest-e. I'm starting to apply it morning and night. Hope that is not too much.

AdrianPo

Interesting, thanks. I've been looking for topical caffeine everywhere. Is there anything over-counter?

Last night, I put the whole bottle of progest-e in an application bottle. Then added some vitamin-e oil, then some olive-oil, both of which kind of decreased the viscosity of the progest-e. I'm starting to apply it morning and night. Hope that is not too much.

Any results from it?

johnwester130

Why would male pattern baldness and prostate problems be the "same disease" ?

The theory has a lot of hole in it

ddjd

How do you know it is elevated in the scalp? DHT opposes estrogen, cortisol and prolactin when applied topically as well.

haidut is it true that if estradiol e2 is high, then prolactin will be high also. i heard lowering your estradiol alone will bring down prolactin

churchmouth

I had lower range prolactin and above range estradiol. I may be messed up though (quite skinny, and lacking manliness but high androgens and SHBG)

Hair loss is mostly a prolactin/cortisol excess, which suffocates the uptake of thyroid hormone into the follicles.
The DHT theory of baldness is just as criminally dumb as the one about DHT causing prostate cancer. Injections of testosterone directly into the prostate stopped terminal prostate cancer.
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=5579
Btw, the prostate contains the highest concentration of the 5-AR enzyme so most of that testosterone converted into DHT. How's that for the correctness of that theory?
what's the deal if u have low cortisol and balding/thinning.

haidut

Forum Supporter
what's the deal if u have low cortisol and balding/thinning.

Was it on blood or saliva tests? The blood is the most reliable test and it needs to be done as 2 draws in a single day to get both AM and PM values. A lot of people with depression, hypothyroidism, CFS, etc have low AM but high PM cortisol, which is called the "inverted diurnal rhythm" and is certainly not a good sign and does not qualify as having low cortisol.

Was it on blood or saliva tests? The blood is the most reliable test and it needs to be done as 2 draws in a single day to get both AM and PM values. A lot of people with depression, hypothyroidism, CFS, etc have low AM but high PM cortisol, which is called the "inverted diurnal rhythm" and is certainly not a good sign and does not qualify as having low cortisol.
it was saliva, but it was not inverted, just consistently low.

I was under the impression that saliva tests were reliable. it also said i had high dhea

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals