Shampoos And Conditioners Without Oils Or Additives

DaveFoster

Alternative health communities such as Reddit's NoPoo subreddit abstain from using commercial shampoos and conditioners due to the presence of sulfates in shampoos and silicone in conditioners.

Here's their side bar for shampoo alternatives on the NoPoo subreddit, dated 9/14/2017:

Here's their alternatives for conditioners:

I've bolded the preferable options for shampoos, which includes clays and raw honey, and also for conditioners, which included coffee and diluted apple cider vinegar.

I did not bold baking soda because of its alkalinity, which dries out hair if used frequently.

I've also heard that vinegar leaves the hair smelling after the shower, and coffee does so to a lesser degree, but it's more pleasant than vinegar.

"Just mix 1 tablespoon of honey in about 1/2 cup of water (use warm water to help melt the honey)." Source: http://blog.freepeople.com/2014/01/shampoo-honey-washing-week-1/

Personally, I'll be trying raw honey for shampoo and coffee (made from instant powder) for conditioner. Has anyone had experience with either option?

Jennifer

I've tried clays (the Moroccan method), lemon juice, egg yolk, honey, baking soda with apple cider vinegar rinses etc. and my preferred choice is an old Indian recipe that uses a combination of herbs, berries and flowers. My hair is really long and I found the worst was the baking soda/apple cider vinegar combo. It eventually caused a lot of breakage from what I suspect is the high pH of the BS weakening the cuticle.

For the herbal recipe, I used to boil equal parts of reetha (soap berries), amla (Indian gooseberry), shikakai, hibiscus (for conditioning) and nettles (high in silica to strengthen hair) in a pot with some distilled water until the saponin was released (bubbles formed), and then strained and poured the liquid into ice cube trays and froze it. The mixture can go bad quickly because it doesn't contain preservatives so by freezing it, I could just pull out a cube when needed.

I stopped making my own after finding the SunFood brand of cleansers. I use their body wash as a head to toe cleanser. It contains similar ingredients as the herbal recipe, but also bacteria and enzymes that act as preservatives. I'd describe the scent as faint lime. For the ladies looking for a prettier scent – I add absolutes/essential oils like jasmine and vanilla and they seem to mix in the soap just fine.

I get it through vitacost, but I think iherb sells it too:

You are being redirected...

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

I've tried clays (the Moroccan method), lemon juice, egg yolk, honey, baking soda with apple cider vinegar rinses etc. and my preferred choice is an old Indian recipe that uses a combination of herbs, berries and flowers. My hair is really long and I found the worst was the baking soda/apple cider vinegar combo. It eventually caused a lot of breakage from what I suspect is the high pH of the BS weakening the cuticle.

For the herbal recipe, I used to boil equal parts of reetha (soap berries), amla (Indian gooseberry), shikakai, hibiscus (for conditioning) and nettles (high in silica to strengthen hair) in a pot with some distilled water until the saponin was released (bubbles formed), and then strained and poured the liquid into ice cube trays and froze it. The mixture can go bad quickly because it doesn't contain preservatives so by freezing it, I could just pull out a cube when needed.

I stopped making my own after finding the SunFood brand of cleansers. I use their body wash as a head to toe cleanser. It contains similar ingredients as the herbal recipe, but also bacteria and enzymes that act as preservatives. I'd describe the scent as faint lime. For the ladies looking for a prettier scent – I add absolutes/essential oils like jasmine and vanilla and they seem to mix in the soap just fine.

I get it through vitacost, but I think iherb sells it too:

You are being redirected...
Thanks for the link, Jennifer! I just placed an order for the shampoo.

Lecarpetron

I tried Morocco Method (clay based), I loved the impact on my hair texture but I had to temporarily take a break from it because it did not help my dandruff situation. I have fine blonde hair and it made it less "slippery" and more voluminous.

Also tried Chagrin Valley Shampoo Bars. The soap agents in these strip too much oil for my taste, I ended up with squeaky-clean but limp hair.

These issues probably don't matter to guys but that's my 2 cents.

NathanK

Started using J.R. Legget shampoo bar this summer for me and my daughter's long hair and it's been the best thing Ive used to date (and ive even played with molassas, eggs, and other "natural" hair products). No vinegar afterwash necessary, but it doesnt hurt.

I tried the B.S. shampoo and vinegar conditioner last year and it's fine, but not worth the hassle imo. No spectacular results to justify anyway.

ivy

Would all the oils in this shampoo be harmful PUFAwise or is safflower oil the only one to really watch out for?
@DaveFoster

GrowPoo Clarifying Shampoo

My routine this week: baking soda diluted in water and acv. Then rinse. Then lemon juice diluted in water. Then rinse. And finally a rinse with drinking water, ph below 6. I had to do this everyday and only on my third attempt did I get rid of most sebum. Next wash will be on Friday.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Would all the oils in this shampoo be harmful PUFAwise or is safflower oil the only one to really watch out for?
@DaveFoster

GrowPoo Clarifying Shampoo

My routine this week: baking soda diluted in water and acv. Then rinse. Then lemon juice diluted in water. Then rinse. And finally a rinse with drinking water, ph below 6. I had to do this everyday and only on my third attempt did I get rid of most sebum. Next wash will be on Friday.
The Babassu oil probably has mostly PUFA, but if it's washed off then it probably won't absorb.

denise

I'm really wanting to try New Wash. It has no detergents or sulfates and doesn't require a conditioner afterward. It's rather pricey, though, so I haven't taken the plunge yet.

I did the BS/ACV thing for years and then realized it was really drying out my hair, so I had to stop. I've been using Carina Organics for a few years now, and I like them a lot, but I'd like to be able to go more minimalist again.

Mary Lyn

I use this company:

I bought a 1kg block of pure soap ages ago and grate it into very hot water then into a bottle for shampoo use. It is excellent. I also make a rinse of redbush leaves with rosemary and sage boiled together, then strained leaving it on for an hour or so before rinsing and it is mostly keeping my brown colour at age 71.

ivy

Just used my sister's high end conditioner... Why don't I have a home made alternative yet? Stuff feels good :)
Just noticed this btw: Hair Growth Routine | For Men - will have to go over the ingredients.
I've been using the Scandinavian Biolabs serum + shampoo since December (while finishing some old conditioner). Growth is substantial, but I can't say that my seasonal shedding has improved. From the point of view of texture and strength, hair feels pretty healthy, but I still have to wash it every other day. Their delivery time has gotten worse and their products aren't exactly cheap... Unfortunately, I have no better option for now.

Waynish

I use this company:

I bought a 1kg block of pure soap ages ago and grate it into very hot water then into a bottle for shampoo use. It is excellent. I also make a rinse of redbush leaves with rosemary and sage boiled together, then strained leaving it on for an hour or so before rinsing and it is mostly keeping my brown colour at age 71.
Legit. Any idea how to get the consistency of a conditioner using home made methods?

Mary Lyn

Legit. Any idea how to get the consistency of a conditioner using home made methods?
I have used avocado rubbed into my hair and left for an hour or so. It leaves my hair a bit greasy till second wash but then looks very good.

Back
Top Bottom