Collagen Contains A Lot Of Arginine

1g of arginine in two tablepoons. I usually consume about 3g of arginine a day this way.

Is this a problem at all?

Birdie

It would be for me. I'm predisposed to shingles (Herpes zoster which stays in the body) outbreaks and find I need lower arginine, higher lysine to avoid outbreaks. A lot of people with Herpes simplex etc find they do better limiting high arginine foods...

L

lollipop

Thanks Lisa. Then I guess we shouldn't worry much about it. Peat recommends it.
I think it is only a problem and maybe aggravates only with the herpes problem, which seems to be high serotonin. Otherwise we should be good to go. If I am wrong, please anyone jump in and help :)

achillea

My collagen is 1.5 grams per 20 grams of collagen but also 615mg of lysine which should alleviate the herpes factor imbalance of a high arginine and no lysine.

Frankdee20

You can balance out that Arginine by consuming high Lysine to Arginine ratio foods. The best ones include plain yogurt, Swiss cheese, and various other cheeses. Almost 2-1 ratios can be obtained from dairy products, unlike the 1.5-1, or 1-1 ratio from muscle meats, and fish, animal protein, etc.

johnwester130

Could explain why so many people react badly to it, but I also got a bad reaction to glycine powder. so I don't know.

Birdie

Could explain why so many people react badly to it, but I also got a bad reaction to glycine powder. so I don't know.
Same here...both no good for me.

milkboi

It's crazy, didn't have herpes in a long fn time, and due to 30g gelatine/day it's back again. Gonna try 1g lysine every time I eat my homemade OJ jelly, hope that will keep that ish away. :shifty: