2 Quarts Of Milk Has 1.2 Mg Of Iodine; Enough To Suppress The Thyroid And Cause Acne In Many

bohogirl

I guess I should be able to tolerate whole milk kefir then. I will try the same brand and see.

I have really low total cholesterol. Not sure if it has anything to do with it. Like 140-150s total.

I can eat beef fat with no problem at all though.

Frankdee20

Is Organic milk typically lower in Iodine than conventional? A source did mention this being the case in the U.K., at least 40 percent less so. Now does it even matter to use organic in the US ?

ScottSchlegel

I've used iodine for three years now.

It decreases acne especially nodular acne in me.

To say it causes hypothyroidism is very short sighted. Please tell me we're smarter than looking at immediate effects on TSH and forgetting about long term.

Wouldn't it make sense that when the hypothalamus senses iodine availability that it increases TRH to increase TSH to increase thyroidal uptake of iodine for thyroid hormone production?

Doctor's see high TSH and bam, that's it, hypothyroidism. SMH.

My TSH has steadily declined with iodine usage since I first started using it.

bohogirl

I've used iodine for three years now.

It decreases acne especially nodular acne in me.

To say it causes hypothyroidism is very short sighted. Please tell me we're smarter than looking at immediate effects on TSH and forgetting about long term.

Wouldn't it make sense that when the hypothalamus senses iodine availability that it increases TRH to increase TSH to increase thyroidal uptake of iodine for thyroid hormone production?

Doctor's see high TSH and bam, that's it, hypothyroidism. SMH.

My TSH has steadily declined with iodine usage since I first started using it.

How much do you take and what kind?

ScottSchlegel

Note I think the mechanism of decreasing acne by iodine is how much it increases progesterone and decreases estrogen.

Travis

I looked into the pharmacokinetics of ingested I₂. It will not make it to the bloodstream in this form; it will be reduced to I⁻ by either vitamin C*, CoQ₁₀, vitamin K, glutathione, heme-(Fe²⁺), cytochrome C, ect, ect...

This destroys the idea that some people have that we "need both forms", and that I₂ will make it to breast tissue intact. However, ingested I₂ does do a few unique things: it iodinates unsaturated fatty acids and can perhaps iodinate tyrosine nonenzymatically forming thyroxine-analogues.

It's the iodinated lipids that are found to inhibit cancer by interacting with nuclear receptor PPARγ, not I₂ itself. The thyroid has a much higher affinity for I⁻ than for the transient, and more reactive, I₂.

So I₂ could be a good thing, although much of it will simply become I⁻. There seems to be little knowledge of the nonenzymatic products that will form from ingesting it. Iodinated oils have sometimes been used in the past for iodine supplementation, so those don't appear particularly dangerous. They could even be a good thing. But iodinated proteins are less-studied.

I take kelp. I like iodide ions.

Lugol's is probably usually harmless at similar, low-single-digit, milligram doses; but you might expect a little synthetic chemistry going on in the intestines from taking it. I don't think these have been been fully-characterized, so I don't think anyone really knows what else is formed besides iodinated lipids. It's probably minor in the grand scheme of things, but it might be worth considering.

* Suntornsuk, Leena, et al. "Quantitation of vitamin C content in herbal juice using direct titration." Journal of pharmaceutical and biomedical analysis 28.5 (2002): 849-855. [In which reduction of I₂ by vitamin C is demonstrated.]

Last edited:

Ritchie

I looked into the pharmacokinetics of ingested I₂. It will not make it to the bloodstream in this form; it will be reduced to I⁻ by either vitamin C*, CoQ₁₀, vitamin K, glutathione, heme-(Fe²⁺), cytochrome C, ect, ect...

This destroys the idea that some people have that we "need both forms", and that I₂ will make it to breast tissue intact. However, ingested I₂ does do a few unique things: it iodinates unsaturated fatty acids and can perhaps iodinate tyrosine nonenzymatically forming thyroxine-analogues.

It's the iodinated lipids that are found to inhibit cancer by interacting with nuclear receptor PPARγ, not I₂ itself. The thyroid has a much higher affinity for I⁻ than for the transient, and more reactive, I₂.

So I₂ could be a good thing, although much of it will simply become I⁻. There seems to be little knowledge of the nonenzymatic products that will form from ingesting it. Iodinated oils have sometimes been used in the past for iodine supplementation, so those don't appear particularly dangerous. They could even be a good thing. But iodinated proteins are less-studied.

I take kelp. I like iodide ions.

Lugol's is probably usually harmless at similar, low-single-digit, milligram doses; but you might expect a little synthetic chemistry going on in the intestines from taking it. I don't think these have been been fully-characterized, so I don't think anyone really knows what else is formed besides iodinated lipids. It's probably minor in the grand scheme of things, but it might be worth considering.

* Suntornsuk, Leena, et al. "Quantitation of vitamin C content in herbal juice using direct titration." Journal of pharmaceutical and biomedical analysis 28.5 (2002): 849-855. [In which reduction of I₂ by vitamin C is demonstrated.]
Interesting! I have some pure kelp capsules I take that say they have 299mcg of Iodine per capsule. Would this be I2 or I⁻.. How much do you think is safe/ideal to take per day?

Travis

Kelp has potassium iodide (KI). This is an ionic compound that dissociates upon contact with water (and other polar solvents):

KI + H₂O ⟶ K⁺ + I⁻ + H₂O

The Japanese eat about ½ to 3 milligrams per day I⁻ on average, but it depends on the location. The much higher figure commonly cited, ~13 mg/day, is simply a miscalculation based on taking the I⁻ concentration of dry kelp and multiplying this figure by the mass of wet kelp consumed by the Japanese. Thyroid issues don't really seem to start appearing until you get above this figure, although only a small percentage of coastal Japanese at >3mg/day develop problems.

But too much I⁻ has been shown to increase oxidative stress in the thyroid. To add to the tyrosine ring to make thyroid hormone, electrons first must be released to form I₂. The I₂ can then add to the ring:

I⁻ + I⁻ ⟶ I₂ + 2e⁻

I₂ + tyrosine ⟶ diiodotyrosine

2×diiodotyrosine ⟶ thyroxine!

There is a study on the free radical formation and lipid peroidation in the thyroid; antioxidants can help prevent this. Vitamin E seems to be a good candidate.

At 299 micrograms, you can get a good Japanese dose with about two or three kept tablets. This is probably Okinawa territory, and they live longer than anybody. I think anything under three milligrams is probably safe.

If anyone is interested in iodine and cancer, there are a few studies on iodinated oil.* This one was done with iodinated poppyseed oil (lipiodol):
After injection of lipiodol into the hepatic artery, embolisation of lipid droplets in tumour vasculature may well be the initial event, but the findings of this study indicate that lipiodol then penetrates into liver tumour cells and endothelial cells, possibly by pinocytosis. At least in vitro this does not appear to have any deleterious effect on cell viability and replication.
It sounds like it wasn't toxic, but they didn't watch the cells for long to see what happened. If iodinated oil works on the cancer-and-diabetes promoting PPAR receptors, you would expect the changes to take time. In a different study, I saw that I₂ slowed growth on cancer cells. The authors speculated that it was from forming an iodinated lipid. Maybe it knocks-out eicosanoids and linoleic acid before they can create problems?

I think methyglyoxal is probably the best cancer drug (although it's harder to find).

*Bhattacharya, S., et al. "Human liver cancer cells and endothelial cells incorporate iodised oil." British journal of cancer 73.7 (1996): 877.

Last edited:

ScottSchlegel

I wonder if the oxidative stress is why some of the mega iodine dosers (Flechas, Brownstein) have fraying hair but otherwise look okay.

My understanding is it's a deficiency of TPO or excess hydrogen peroxide causing this.

NewACC

I can find a study where those amounts of iodine send people into hyperthyroidism, and I could just as well then make a claim that drinking lots of milk will cure your hypothyroidism because the iodine will increase your thyroid function.

It doesn't cause thyroid suppression in everyone, and everyone being the vast majority of people, to the point where I don't even think it's worth mentioning as a cause for thyroid suppression, among all the OTHER things you probably ingest on a daily basis that cause far more thyroid suppression than the amount of iodine that you get in milk.

It's like worrying about bananas increasing your serotonin and then using that as a reason not to eat even 1 or 2 bananas per day. Or the PUFA content of coconut oil - one of the most saturated foods on the planet. At a point, you have to step back and ask yourself - "Am I insane?" Maybe not, just orthorexic.

What are you going to do about milk having iodine in it? There is no perfect food and I can assure you that the positives of drinking milk with all of the good things in it probably outweigh whatever negatives (if any) the relatively small amount of iodine it contains would bring.

But then again, I don't tend to view iodine as a bad guy anyway, which I realize paints me as somewhat of an outlier to this forum, but whatever.
and bananas will not increase serotonin in any amount consumed, unless a hefty dose of an MAO A inhibitor is taken

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals