Salt Is Causing Stomach Bloat And Gas

Sexypizza

Hello,

I'm not sure why or if this is common with other people but I cant seem to tolerate salt all that well.

My friend who convinced me to try out a Ray Peat diet said I should try to get 4 teaspoons of salt a day, so I did that. I added salt into my meals, and not too long after I started getting a lot of gas constantly throughout the day

Which I didn't mind too much lol but then I started to get bloated and it was becoming a bit painful and It was hard to go to sleep sometimes because I would feel gas in my tummy constantly.

My friend recommended I heat up milk in the microwave first (usually for 2 minutes) then add the salt which would help lessen the bloating but I don't feel like it did anything.

Last week I stopped eating salt for a while and the bloating got better, then I added salt again two days ago but the bloating became twice as bad. I woke up several times throughout the night due pain from having too much gas in my tummy. This isn't normal is it?

What can I do about this?

My current plan is boil the milk with salt in it and see if that makes things better.

LUH 3417

I used to read books on Ayurveda and I remember salt + milk being a huge no. Here's some info I found doing a quick google search. I think salt is fine with most foods, but you should probably stick to milk with honey instead.

Salt in Milk

Lot of my friends and even myself wanted to know why we should not mix salt and milk. I have been searching for some information for a while. I found it only now and wanted to share it. It made sense to me. We are young chefs and somehow I strongly believe that our ancestors had lot more knowledge on food and what happens when you put them inside your body. Sometimes, I dont mind to follow certain rules even though I dont have any justficiation for that. But I keep my search engine On!

Kaviraj Partap Chauhan.
In Astang Sangrah (Sutra sthanam), chapter 9, deals with foods that are opposing to each other. The opposing foods are poisonous (harmful) and can cause either an immediate reaction in the body or will react in long time. The second type of reactions or disease (delayed reactions) caused by opposing foods are more common as we can not understand what's going on inside as a result of our improper eating. And then finally one day we have some serious disease, and we might be wondering from where it came Actually it may have come from the "milk and salty preparation" (or any other opposing combinations) which we had been enjoying for so many years.

According to Ayurvedic principle "Salt in milk" (Ksheeren lavanam) do not go toghether. But it is applicable to milk in salty preparations as well. As it has been mentioned in "Astanga Sangraha" that the reaction may not be immediate, so it will be wrong to say that such combination have been used by people without any ill effects. The ill effect or harmful effect is always there but it may not manifest into a disease immediately. It's like we see so many people drinking alcohol everyday but not all of them get diseases. This does not means that alcohol is harmless for the body. On the other hand we see many people who don't drink alcohol or don't smoke etc. but they get serious diseases. Maybe they take "milk with salt or milk in salty preparations" everyday or three times a day.

It's also explained in Ayurveda that by regular practice, even some wrong combinations become less harmful. This is because the body adapts to or gets used to that kind of food. Usually people with strong immunity, strong digestion and those who cleanse the system regularly are less effected. Please note the words "less harmful" and "less effected" I have used above. This means that there is definitely an harmful effect on the body when we take "milk and salt or salty preparations" together. The effect can vary in each individual depending on certain factors like immunity, age, state of ojas, strength of Jatharagni etc

Since Ayurveda only mentions milk and salt and not milk products such as curdled cheese, yoghurt, butter etc. and salt to be incompatible we have to analyze the difference between milk and e.g. yoghurt to find out the possible factors which make this substances compatible or incompatible.

The difference of yoghurt and milk in regards to metabolism is, that milk has to be curdled by the body and the milk fat which tends to coagulate has to become emulsified** by the bile*** liquid. Yoghurt is already curdled by the lactic acid produced by the yoghurt bacteria and the fat of yoghurt doesn't tend to coagulate because of the specific structure of processed milk products.

Milk contains a specific protein-calcium compound called calcium caseinat which is responsible for the curdling effect of milk as soon as the calcium bond is broken by the interaction of acids** **.
If salt which is a sodium salt is added to milk it could interfere with the calcium ions of the calcium-caseinat and thus impede with the curdling, emulsification and / or albumin metabolism of the milk.

If salt is added to any other milk product that would be no problem since the milk doesn't have to be curdled and is already pre emulsified.

Another possible reason is the sweet taste of milk. Generally sweet things are not mixed with salt, which again would not be a problem for yoghurt which does not possess the sweet characteristics of milk.

**That is also the reason why milk is recommended to be served hot. The colder the milk is, the more difficult it is for the bile liquid to emulsify the milk. Drinking cold milk is like trying to wash greasy hands with soap (bile) and cold water. Only with hot water will the fat emulsify and the hands become nicely clean.

***bile: A bitter, alkaline, brownish-yellow or greenish-yellow fluid that is secreted by the liver, stored in the gallbladder, and discharged into the duodenum and aids in the emulsification, digestion, and absorption of fats. Also called gall.

** **That is why the milk curdles if you add lemon juice, citric acid oryoghurt to hot milk.

OP
Sexypizza

Sexypizza

what food/meals are you adding salt to?

adding salt to milk is also ridiculous how did you even swallow that lol

It just tastes salty but I kind of got used to it. lol

I used to add it to eggs, potato's, rice but that seemed to make it worse. I think heating it in milk reduces the bloating a little bit but not a lot.

OP
Sexypizza

Sexypizza

Very common. Salt causes irritation of the intestines. Eating too much salt?

so basically I just need to reduce my salt intake? the OP in the thread you linked was having 3 table spoons of salt a day. that would probably kill me lol

Ive already reduced my salt intake to 1 tsp starting from today. hopefully that helps.

Constatine

I used to read books on Ayurveda and I remember salt + milk being a huge no. Here's some info I found doing a quick google search. I think salt is fine with most foods, but you should probably stick to milk with honey instead.

Salt in Milk

Lot of my friends and even myself wanted to know why we should not mix salt and milk. I have been searching for some information for a while. I found it only now and wanted to share it. It made sense to me. We are young chefs and somehow I strongly believe that our ancestors had lot more knowledge on food and what happens when you put them inside your body. Sometimes, I dont mind to follow certain rules even though I dont have any justficiation for that. But I keep my search engine On!

Kaviraj Partap Chauhan.
In Astang Sangrah (Sutra sthanam), chapter 9, deals with foods that are opposing to each other. The opposing foods are poisonous (harmful) and can cause either an immediate reaction in the body or will react in long time. The second type of reactions or disease (delayed reactions) caused by opposing foods are more common as we can not understand what's going on inside as a result of our improper eating. And then finally one day we have some serious disease, and we might be wondering from where it came Actually it may have come from the "milk and salty preparation" (or any other opposing combinations) which we had been enjoying for so many years.

According to Ayurvedic principle "Salt in milk" (Ksheeren lavanam) do not go toghether. But it is applicable to milk in salty preparations as well. As it has been mentioned in "Astanga Sangraha" that the reaction may not be immediate, so it will be wrong to say that such combination have been used by people without any ill effects. The ill effect or harmful effect is always there but it may not manifest into a disease immediately. It's like we see so many people drinking alcohol everyday but not all of them get diseases. This does not means that alcohol is harmless for the body. On the other hand we see many people who don't drink alcohol or don't smoke etc. but they get serious diseases. Maybe they take "milk with salt or milk in salty preparations" everyday or three times a day.

It's also explained in Ayurveda that by regular practice, even some wrong combinations become less harmful. This is because the body adapts to or gets used to that kind of food. Usually people with strong immunity, strong digestion and those who cleanse the system regularly are less effected. Please note the words "less harmful" and "less effected" I have used above. This means that there is definitely an harmful effect on the body when we take "milk and salt or salty preparations" together. The effect can vary in each individual depending on certain factors like immunity, age, state of ojas, strength of Jatharagni etc

Since Ayurveda only mentions milk and salt and not milk products such as curdled cheese, yoghurt, butter etc. and salt to be incompatible we have to analyze the difference between milk and e.g. yoghurt to find out the possible factors which make this substances compatible or incompatible.

The difference of yoghurt and milk in regards to metabolism is, that milk has to be curdled by the body and the milk fat which tends to coagulate has to become emulsified** by the bile*** liquid. Yoghurt is already curdled by the lactic acid produced by the yoghurt bacteria and the fat of yoghurt doesn't tend to coagulate because of the specific structure of processed milk products.

Milk contains a specific protein-calcium compound called calcium caseinat which is responsible for the curdling effect of milk as soon as the calcium bond is broken by the interaction of acids** **.
If salt which is a sodium salt is added to milk it could interfere with the calcium ions of the calcium-caseinat and thus impede with the curdling, emulsification and / or albumin metabolism of the milk.

If salt is added to any other milk product that would be no problem since the milk doesn't have to be curdled and is already pre emulsified.

Another possible reason is the sweet taste of milk. Generally sweet things are not mixed with salt, which again would not be a problem for yoghurt which does not possess the sweet characteristics of milk.

**That is also the reason why milk is recommended to be served hot. The colder the milk is, the more difficult it is for the bile liquid to emulsify the milk. Drinking cold milk is like trying to wash greasy hands with soap (bile) and cold water. Only with hot water will the fat emulsify and the hands become nicely clean.

***bile: A bitter, alkaline, brownish-yellow or greenish-yellow fluid that is secreted by the liver, stored in the gallbladder, and discharged into the duodenum and aids in the emulsification, digestion, and absorption of fats. Also called gall.

** **That is why the milk curdles if you add lemon juice, citric acid oryoghurt to hot milk.
Not on topic but can you recommend some books on Ayurveda.

so basically I just need to reduce my salt intake? the OP in the thread you linked was having 3 table spoons of salt a day. that would probably kill me lol

Ive already reduced my salt intake to 1 tsp starting from today. hopefully that helps.
Drinking salt water instead of putting salt on my foot seems to negate the bloating effects of salt for me.

Pointless

Yeah, reduce the salt intake or eliminate it. The irritation is not good, and there's not a lot that can be done but cut the salt. Maybe eat it with meat???

LUH 3417

Not on topic but can you recommend some books on Ayurveda.

Drinking salt water instead of putting salt on my foot seems to negate the bloating effects of salt for me.
https://www.amazon.com/Prakriti-Ayurvedic-Constitution-Revised-Enlarged/dp/0965620832

Good place to start as it explains constitutions as a form of assessment and what pitta, vata, and kapha each mean

https://www.amazon.com/Ayurvedic-Healing-Comprehensive-David-Frawley/dp/0914955977

This book covered a large range of ailments from mental to physical and is very comprehensive like the title says

Vasat Lad is another author I've read. He has some cookbooks and a book on home remedies that are useful.

I find it interesting that a RP inspired diet is similar to a sattvic Ayurvedic diet, which someone has already pointed out on this forum. I don't know if RP would agree but easily digested food seems to be the focus of both Ray's work and the science of Ayurveda.

tara

My friend who convinced me to try out a Ray Peat diet said I should try to get 4 teaspoons of salt a day, so I did that. I added salt into my meals, and not too long after I started getting a lot of gas constantly throughout the day
Unless you have a particular reason to supplement extra salt, just salting food to taste may serve you well.
I think people's needs for salt it vary quite a lot - hypothyroid state tends to promote sodium loss.

Constatine

https://www.amazon.com/Prakriti-Ayurvedic-Constitution-Revised-Enlarged/dp/0965620832

Good place to start as it explains constitutions as a form of assessment and what pitta, vata, and kapha each mean

https://www.amazon.com/Ayurvedic-Healing-Comprehensive-David-Frawley/dp/0914955977

This book covered a large range of ailments from mental to physical and is very comprehensive like the title says

Vasat Lad is another author I've read. He has some cookbooks and a book on home remedies that are useful.

I find it interesting that a RP inspired diet is similar to a sattvic Ayurvedic diet, which someone has already pointed out on this forum. I don't know if RP would agree but easily digested food seems to be the focus of both Ray's work and the science of Ayurveda.
Thanks

dannibo

Hello,

I'm not sure why or if this is common with other people but I cant seem to tolerate salt all that well.

Which I didn't mind too much lol but then I started to get bloated and it was becoming a bit painful and It was hard to go to sleep sometimes because I would feel gas in my tummy constantly.

My friend recommended I heat up milk in the microwave first (usually for 2 minutes) then add the salt which would help lessen the bloating but I don't feel like it did anything.

Last week I stopped eating salt for a while and the bloating got better, then I added salt again two days ago but the bloating became twice as bad. I woke up several times throughout the night due pain from having too much gas in my tummy. This isn't normal is it?

My current plan is boil the milk with salt in it and see if that makes things better.
I'm quite sure he didn't mean table salt. I take Himalayan salt in water everyday. It is rich in minerals and sodium.. Not sodium chloride. If you add a pinch even a quarter teaspoon to a pint of dechlorinated water and stir let sit for a while it tastes lovely, not a hint of salt..it tastes kinda sweet. Table salt will kill you! Stop immediately!

tara

I'm quite sure he didn't mean table salt. I take Himalayan salt in water everyday. It is rich in minerals and sodium.. Not sodium chloride. If you add a pinch even a quarter teaspoon to a pint of dechlorinated water and stir let sit for a while it tastes lovely, not a hint of salt..it tastes kinda sweet. Table salt will kill you! Stop immediately!
Peat seems to recommend purish sodium chloride, such as pickling and canning salt that has no free-flowing agents or other additives. He does not recommend Himalayan salt or any other coloured salt, because even though they are all mostly sodium chloride, the impurities, such as iron (red) etc in the forms found in salt are likely to make it less rather than more helpful.
Peat probably wouldn't choose iodised free-flowing table salt as his first choice, but on the other hand I've never seen him make a big fuss about it being terrible dangerous, either.

On the other hand, I've never seen Peat recommend someone just take four tsp supplemental salt during the day as a supplement - but maybe he has to some particular person in for particular reasons. I've only seen him recommend adding salt to food, and generally within the bounds of taste. I think he has cautioned about concentrated salt being potentially harmful to tissues (if he hasn't I think it's pretty well established anyway).

fradon

Hello,

what kind of salt are you using many salts contain dextrose which is a corn based sugar and they also have anti caking agents like titanium doioxide. even if the package does not say it may still have other chemicals like aluminum...try kosher salt that is pure. kosher salt will not have added chemicals in it.

M

marikay

Hi. As soon as I can find it I’ll post Ray’s response to my question on salt. He said any clean white salt without iodine is good. So non-iodized table salt is what I use. Colored sea salt is not recommended. He also says you should salt to taste. I’ve started putting salt on ice cream. It’s yummy. No gas.

Daniel11

Forum Supporter

I agree table salt is not safe, its is actually probably part of the case of many health problems, i prefer Himalayan Salt also, millions of people living in the Himalayas have it every day, they look healthy, happy and strong.

jitsmonkey

why not just start with less and see if you tolerate it
then if say you tolerate 1/2 tsp extra add an other half and so on and so on.
There's no reason to be force feeding yourself anything.

I just use mortons kosher non iodized or canning/pickling salt.

Last edited:

Daniel11

Forum Supporter
why not just start with less and see if you tolerate it
then if say you tolerate 1/2 tsp extra add an other half and so on and so on.
There's no reason to be force feeding yourself anything.

I just use mortons koshor non iodized or canning/pickling salt.

Pickling and Kosher salt is still just sodium chloride with all the other minerals removed and sold for a profit. Homo sapiens have not evolved over the last 200,000 years eating sodium chloride.

jitsmonkey

ok @Daniel11 your narrative is better and willingness to debate it is better you win.
I still get my salt from sodium chloride and sodium bicarbonate and I'm not worried.

L

lollipop

@Constatine, I would also check out the Auyrvedic books of Dr. Vasant Lad. He has a clinic and school in Albuquerque, NM, and a clinic in Pune, India. I went and was treated by him in Pune. FANTASTIC doctor. Sort of as respected in Ayurveda as BKS Iyengar is in yoga.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals