Numbness In Limbs Every Night And Tingling In Left Arm

OP
Antarehs

Antarehs

I honestly only drink when I'm thirsty... Mineral water, hibiscus tea, lemonade. I don't drink unless I feel I need it. I probably should drink more, actually.

How's your water consumption? Do you drink water in the evening? Less is more IMO. You could be crashing your electrolytes if you drink too much water. Try milk or juice instead for a few days and see what happens. It could be a quick fix.

HLP

Actually drinking more water when you are already having problems could make things worse. Hypothyroid individuals don't retain sodium or sugar well and I've experienced what too much water can do. As you regain your health you can handle more water. Just an idea that would be simple to try and see if things improve. I only consume about 20 oz of water daily and the rest of my needs comes from milk and fruit. I sleep a solid 8 hours almost every night and sometimes 9 or 10 hours without waking at all. Here's another discussion about hydration: Hydration

and an article by Ray http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/water.shtml

Last edited:

Stilgar

Well, my digestion is pretty bad. Between the GERD and having had the gallbladder removed 20 years ago, I don't do very well at all.

I have the same issue with endotoxins. When I overload on foods high in histamine my hands get numb and puffy at night but when I'm careful they don't.

Yeah, Ewelina. Benadryl helps me so much in that situation, and backing off fibrous foods and being a bit more generous with coffee and saturated fat. I try not to eat a big meal at night too, because my digestion tends to be poorer then. Even cooked apples or OJ can be too much sometimes if my digestion has slowed. I get those exact symptoms - the puffy hands and the numbness.

Antarehs, I would think not having bile from no gallbladder would greatly increase the need to be careful with poorly digesting foods, like raw pectin, fibre etc. Bile is your natural digestive aid. Pre-diabetes is a consequence of that high cortisol, high endotoxic state. Coconut oil might help, good quality vinegar, in a carrot salad, and maybe ox bile? Or a long course of penicillin or erythromycin.

DaveFoster

Possibly not enough. Temperature is fine and pulse is already too high as it is, but I've gained almost 20 Lbs. in 7 months while going to the gym and eating about $1,000-1,300 calories a day.
A high pulse and weight gain with that caloric intake suggests hypothyroidism. If you slowly increase your thyroid supplement, your pulse should come down over several weeks, and you'll probably lose the excess weight.

Djukami

Started to have this issues after starting eating dairy again. It actually scared me so much because I didn't remember having this for such a long time.
I have symptoms before falling asleep like leg spasms, the feeling that you are going to fall of a cliff and feeling numbness and tingling on my limbs and fingers. The only thing I find it weird is how it happened overnight. But, I also noticed how my body increased bone size (perhaps disproportionally) which could have indeed affected my nerves.
Endotoxins make it worse indeed.

tara

Possibly not enough. Temperature is fine and pulse is already too high as it is, but I've gained almost 20 Lbs. in 7 months while going to the gym and eating about $1,000-1,300 calories a day.

A high pulse and weight gain with that caloric intake suggests hypothyroidism. If you slowly increase your thyroid supplement, your pulse should come down over several weeks, and you'll probably lose the excess weight.

I agree that gaining weight while eating so little, esp. while going to the gym, likely indicates a low base metabolism.
Can't remember whether you've had thyroid lab tests.
Not sure if you've been eating that very low cal diet for a long time, but in itself, that can give the body reason to lower metabolism to save itself form rapid catabolism, and put itself in a state to store fat any time it gets a chance.
I have doubts about being able to get out of this state with more restrictive dieting and gym workouts.
If you've had any thyroid tests in the past, you should be able to ask for the detailed results (not just the doctor's assessment that they are 'OK/normal/in the normal range').
You can also monitor the pattern of your temps to get more of an idea if they are being sustained by stress hormones. There are other indicators too. But just very low maintenance calories alone are a pretty strong indicator.
If you haven't read this article of Peat's it may be worth a look: Preventing and treating cancer with progesterone.. [The title shows up wrong - its's actually: TSH, temperature, pulse rate, and other indicators in hypothyroidism]

Taking thyroid supps while seriously undereating looks like it risks increasing stress. Your body has to get the energy it burns from somewhere.

superhuman

Have you checked your cholesterol level recently?

Taking thyroid while having low cholesterol can cause neuropathy, probably from driving cholesterol too low.

Statins can cause it, and be reversed by discontinuing its use.
There is at least one case of a man with actual hyperthyroidism ( indicated by blood work, heart rate, etc.. ) who reversed his neuropathy after a few months of taking medication to lower thyroid function.
I suspect it has something to do with low cholesterol. When my total cholesterol drops below about 140 ( lowered by thyroid ) I get it in my arms and shoulders from sleeping in a non agreeable position. Stopping thyroid, and getting plenty of fructose from fruits seems to make it go away after a week or so. Thats my experience! Just food for thought.
Omg this is gold for me. Thank you i must have low cholesterol

Ledo

Started to have this issues after starting eating dairy again...
I have symptoms before falling asleep like leg spasms, the feeling that you are going to fall of a cliff and feeling numbness and tingling on my limbs and fingers. The only thing I find it weird is how it happened overnight. But, I also noticed how my body increased bone size (perhaps disproportionally) which could have indeed affected my nerves.
Endotoxins make it worse indeed.
@Antarehs, @Djukami
I get this too but I think I am losing bone size but I'm inclined to say it is the same problem we three have or at least the same manifestation from some maybe different cause.. In my case it seems to be a restriction of blood flow for me showing up in the lower leg and mostly present at waking but actually all day just masked when I'm up and moving. I know its calcium metabolism connected and occurs when Ala Peat I try to up my calcium intake for it "protective effects" as peat has eluded to many times. It back fires on me and if not careful I can end up with a metabolic crash.

Antareh gains weight on low calorie and I lose it on high calorie but I believe same phenomenon is at work. If I try to increase calcium, I get quick hair-loss in corners with calcium type plugs in pores and even white powdery substance on the skin of my lower legs and of course the numbness, weakness and tingling. I almost feel like I am being magnetically dissolved disintegrated even over my whole body and it gets much worse with exercise. It is clear any increase in calcium does not go where it should. I have other neuro probs and hormone probs that I tried to fix with peating but it didn't work and I have been here a long time.

It is obvious to me my metabolism is messed up and right now like @gbolduev has said I have ended up screwed and get more screwed the more I attempt to increase metabolism by peating. He has said in his opinion peating won't necessarily fix the root cause in most cases and will make it likely worse. This is me at the moment.

As to what may be the root I don't know. It could be a metals problem like zinc/copper replaced by cadmium or chromium or mercury, etc... Maybe a hormone problem, where the guys harmed by Fin are engaged with @gbolduev in a scary but fascinating conversation. Evidently hormones can get stuck and out of wack and you are then screwed.

One thing is clear to me, increasing my metabolism to get past a hump is not going to help me, it is aging me more quickly in fact and making me more fragile. I am at the moment trying to formulate my next steps

Djukami

I get quick hair-loss in corners with calcium type plugs in pores and even white powdery substance on the skin of my lower legs and of course the numbness, weakness and tingling. I almost feel like I am being magnetically dissolved disintegrated even over my whole body and it gets much worse with exercise. It is clear any increase in calcium does not go where it should. I have other neuro probs and hormone probs that I tried to fix with peating but it didn't work and I have been here a long time.
I also have this problem... but are you talking about calcium from dairy or even calcium supplements give you this problem?
As to what may be the root I don't know. It could be a metals problem like zinc/copper replaced by cadmium or chromium or mercury, etc... Maybe a hormone problem, where the guys harmed by Fin are engaged with @gbolduev in a scary but fascinating conversation. Evidently hormones can get stuck and out of wack and you are then screwed
It could be an underlying infection also... That's the thing: there are so many variables that can explain our symptoms that I completely get lost and don't know what to do.
One thing is clear to me, increasing my metabolism to get past a hump is not going to help me, it is aging me more quickly in fact and making me more fragile. I am at the moment trying to formulate my next steps
I feel you... It seems every time I try something different it seems it only worses my situation.

Last edited:

Ledo

I also have this problem... but are you talking about calcium from dairy or even calcium supplements give you this problem?
It could be an underlying infection also... That's the thing: there are so many variables that can explain our symptoms that I completely get lost and don't know what to do.
I feel you... It seems every time I try something different it seems it only worses my situation.
Doesn't matter its total calcium whether from food or supplements. Lets talk later, cheers though, there are many directions to go, stay positive

Djukami

Doesn't matter its total calcium whether from food or supplements. Lets talk later, cheers though, there are many directions to go, stay positive
Some days are really hard, but, yeah, we are still here so there is no reason to give up. I wish you the best too.

Ewelina

Yeah, Ewelina. Benadryl helps me so much in that situation, and backing off fibrous foods and being a bit more generous with coffee and saturated fat. I try not to eat a big meal at night too, because my digestion tends to be poorer then. Even cooked apples or OJ can be too much sometimes if my digestion has slowed. I get those exact symptoms - the puffy hands and the numbness.

Antarehs, I would think not having bile from no gallbladder would greatly increase the need to be careful with poorly digesting foods, like raw pectin, fibre etc. Bile is your natural digestive aid. Pre-diabetes is a consequence of that high cortisol, high endotoxic state. Coconut oil might help, good quality vinegar, in a carrot salad, and maybe ox bile? Or a long course of penicillin or erythromycin.

Absolutely Stilgar, fiber makes everything worse for me too. Since I've cut fiber from my diet and increased saturated fat I sleep much better at night and my gut seems better overall.

superhuman

@tca300 how long does it take you to raise low cholesterol to a place where you can start taking thyroid again? and how much do you start taking when you start again?
Im currently off thyroid because i have low cholesterol so i need to raise it before starting

T

tca300

@tca300 how long does it take you to raise low cholesterol to a place where you can start taking thyroid again? and how much do you start taking when you start again?
Im currently off thyroid because i have low cholesterol so i need to raise it before starting
I typically take a month or so, while eating at least 100 grams of fructose from fruit everyday, but lately Im done with it. Im breathing like i just went for a fast walk when at rest, heart rate in the 90's, my temps are in the high 99's °F, super calm but ready to sprint off at any moment... Im not going anywhere near thyroid, I think I have acheived depletion after years and years of consitent unwavering effort, using a supplement would be unwise for me I think.

superhuman

I typically take a month or so, while eating at least 100 grams of fructose from fruit everyday, but lately Im done with it. Im breathing like i just went for a fast walk when at rest, heart rate in the 90's, my temps are in the high 99's °F, super calm but ready to sprint off at any moment... Im not going anywhere near thyroid, I think I have acheived depletion after years and years of consitent unwavering effort, using a supplement would be unwise for me I think.

Thats cool. RP told me in a email today that some thyroid could help with raising cholesterol. Like 1 mcg with a meal etc together with milk and fruit sugar ofc

But yeah it seems like you have achieved a great state.
How is it going with the increased salt intake? noticed anything from it?

T

tca300

Thats cool. RP told me in a email today that some thyroid could help with raising cholesterol. Like 1 mcg with a meal etc together with milk and fruit sugar ofc

But yeah it seems like you have achieved a great state.
How is it going with the increased salt intake? noticed anything from it?
Ya small amounts of T3 would improve digestion and the livers abiity to make it.
Not much really, I'm mostly interested in sweet tasting foods. It might have increased vascularity and heat production, but nothing life changing.

superhuman

Ya small amounts of T3 would improve digestion and the livers abiity to make it.
Not much really, I'm mostly interested in sweet tasting foods. It might have increased vascularity and heat production, but nothing life changing.

Get you. Im completely the same in regards to the salt stuff.

@Antarehs, 1000 calories a day? Please tell me not so. You don't see that as part of the problem? What are you doing at the gym? Are you sleeping? Are you getting sunshine? Are you on electronics a lot?