Bloodshot Eyes

Birdie

You may just be interested in my post here ladies, where I saw a saturated salt solution used OUTSIDE of the eyes, on the eyelids, improve a very histaminic lady's bloodshot condition. <a href="Cataracts">Cataracts</a> So salt once again. And yes, FWIW, I do think that sclera problems are primarily indicators of internal issues. I suspect that liver and gut inflammation is at the base of all of this. Easier stated than fixed.
Greetings to you, Sheila.
I've been using a baking soda/salt solution on my eyes for this past year. But, darn, the redness hasn't reduced. It works for some people. Mine just may not resolve. We'll see.

Sheila

Greetings Birdie
Thank you for your response. Could you give me a rough idea of your ratios please? And did you build up to that ratio? Did you find that your eyesight was more acute (or any changes actually) using this method? Even if the redness has remained, were there other things you noticed? I am sorry that the redness hasn't reduced for you.
Best regards, and thank you,
Sheila

Samya

You may just be interested in my post here ladies, where I saw a saturated salt solution used OUTSIDE of the eyes, on the eyelids, improve a very histaminic lady's bloodshot condition. <a href="Cataracts">Cataracts</a> So salt once again. And yes, FWIW, I do think that sclera problems are primarily indicators of internal issues. I suspect that liver and gut inflammation is at the base of all of this. Easier stated than fixed.

Not necessarily related to blood shot eyes but my nephew had a nasty eye infection last year, the only thing that helped was when my mum applied the himalayan salt solution I had in the kitchen, it cleared up within a day or so.

I've recently been salting food to taste and drinking water with a spoon or two of saturated salt solution (semi-skimmed/2% milk already tastes salty enough) and find I'm going through plenty of salt with (so far) only beneficial effects - more energy, feeling more relaxed, eyes improving, warmer hands/feet, clearer sinus/breathing more freely.

My eyes also seem to improve when I eat a lot of calories and sleep as much as I like on the weekends; I find yoga, meditation and being out in the fresh air are also helpful. As the blood vessels disappear my eyes also look much whiter/less yellow around the outer edges. I've seen them almost completely fade to white, only to return the next morning. I do feel like the eyes are a reflection of a deeper problem and feel as if I'm slowly figuring this one out.

Last edited:

Birdie

Greetings Birdie
Thank you for your response. Could you give me a rough idea of your ratios please? And did you build up to that ratio? Did you find that your eyesight was more acute (or any changes actually) using this method? Even if the redness has remained, were there other things you noticed? I am sorry that the redness hasn't reduced for you.
Best regards, and thank you,
Sheila
I can't remember where I got the info on ratios. Maybe from Ray somewhere.

I eyeball it now. Possibly 1 tsp NaHCO3 to 6 oz water? I stopped bothering to add regular salt.
I see no improvement visually, but didn't have any problem there.

And I do several things for my eyes, so would not be able to tell which was doing what if you know what I mean!
I can't remember about increasing on the ratio since I've been doing this wash a long time, with the past year becoming a daily thing... But it sounds wise to ease into it like you say.

Sheila

Thank you Birdie, I appreciate your experiential advice. And the nudge to re-read the Cataract article, it's excellent (of course) and there again is the link to inappropriate calcification, long before the 'official' MD-drusen linkage.

And to you also Atma, I was most interested in your report, thank you for posting it.

Best regards
Sheila

Birdie

Thank you Birdie, I appreciate your experiential advice. And the nudge to re-read the Cataract article, it's excellent (of course) and there again is the link to inappropriate calcification, long before the 'official' MD-drusen linkage.

And to you also Atma, I was most interested in your report, thank you for posting it.

Best regards
Sheila
Oh, Sheila.. thank you. Always enjoy your input.

Birdie

Sheila, if you are still around, I'd like to hear more on the sclera problems. My husband has developed a thinning in both eyes. It presents as small gray spots. Unfortunately he used eye drops containing steroids for a severe conjunctivitis with periorbital edema. The spots developed quite suddenly. I assume they are irreversible. Since we stopped the drops the day the spots appeared, do you know if this usually stops further damage?

I was suggesting he use a solution of distilled water and baking soda, but he's resistant to that idea. Not that I expect a reversal of the sclera thinning with this soln...

tara

I've been getting bloodshot eyes more often on and off the last 2-3 years.
The only correlations I think I've seen in the short term are increased likelihood if I get either too much sleep disruption/deprivation, or if I get dehydrated - not drinking enough water.

Sheila

Hello Dear Birdie,
Yes I am still here experimenting away and researching.
It is interesting that you should 'call me' because eyes have been a continuing focus lately, perfect timing perhaps.

So first up I will post a simple page that might be of interest. Cure Eye Infection with Honey in 24 Hours there are also some interesting testimonies for all kinds of eye issues, but largely for that of irritation and/or infection. I tried a 1:1 solution for a few days and felt my eyes improved. I am going to get a system going and it will then be daily. In researching this more, middle Eastern countries have used honey for eye problems for a very long time. I'm happy to go with those experiences, written up in overseas journals, and let someone else argue over the theory. To me, applying an anti-microbial, nutrient sugar to the eye directly ie. raw, good quality honey should achieve quite a few things, and I think it would be my choice over the salt solution now, especially if the eye is not currently robust. I think providing some nutrients and energy externally when the body can not, for whatever reason, provide them internally, might just make more than theoretical sense. The eye has a very big nutrient demand I think.

Now, let's think about steroidal thinning of skin. Presuming the area can receive blood flow, oxygen, nutrients etc., when the steroids are withdrawn, there should be some level of repair possible. I have seen post-steroidal thinned skin improve in other places so why not sclera if the nutritional conditions are met? I am not sure how long it will take the steroid to break down and therefore, if it WAS causing damage/thinning stop that also. Sometimes it is not the active components of eye drops but the preservatives that cause havoc. That doesn't make steroids benign and if the microbe hasn't been tackled correctly, anti-inflams can make things worse.....they allow the microbe to flourish once more.

If the eye is not robust, or you suspect poorer blood/nutrient flow to it (in the case of oedema), I wouldn't use any of the touted high-end antioxidants either eg. NAC drops. Both the preservative and NAC seem to cause issues in an already non-robust person/eye, this is an example of when an antioxidant works against what is needed. My preference is then to try simple first...and I hope these suggestions help.

I wish your husband a swift return to health. Thank you for thinking of me.
Sincerely,
Sheila

Birdie

Hello Dear Birdie,
Yes I am still here experimenting away and researching.
It is interesting that you should 'call me' because eyes have been a continuing focus lately, perfect timing perhaps.

So first up I will post a simple page that might be of interest. Cure Eye Infection with Honey in 24 Hours there are also some interesting testimonies for all kinds of eye issues, but largely for that of irritation and/or infection. I tried a 1:1 solution for a few days and felt my eyes improved. I am going to get a system going and it will then be daily. In researching this more, middle Eastern countries have used honey for eye problems for a very long time. I'm happy to go with those experiences, written up in overseas journals, and let someone else argue over the theory. To me, applying an anti-microbial, nutrient sugar to the eye directly ie. raw, good quality honey should achieve quite a few things, and I think it would be my choice over the salt solution now, especially if the eye is not currently robust. I think providing some nutrients and energy externally when the body can not, for whatever reason, provide them internally, might just make more than theoretical sense. The eye has a very big nutrient demand I think.

Now, let's think about steroidal thinning of skin. Presuming the area can receive blood flow, oxygen, nutrients etc., when the steroids are withdrawn, there should be some level of repair possible. I have seen post-steroidal thinned skin improve in other places so why not sclera if the nutritional conditions are met? I am not sure how long it will take the steroid to break down and therefore, if it WAS causing damage/thinning stop that also. Sometimes it is not the active components of eye drops but the preservatives that cause havoc. That doesn't make steroids benign and if the microbe hasn't been tackled correctly, anti-inflams can make things worse.....they allow the microbe to flourish once more.

If the eye is not robust, or you suspect poorer blood/nutrient flow to it (in the case of oedema), I wouldn't use any of the touted high-end antioxidants either eg. NAC drops. Both the preservative and NAC seem to cause issues in an already non-robust person/eye, this is an example of when an antioxidant works against what is needed. My preference is then to try simple first...and I hope these suggestions help.

I wish your husband a swift return to health. Thank you for thinking of me.
Sincerely,
Sheila
Thank you Sheila. I do hope the steroids won't do more damage now that they are withdrawn. That's been on my mind too. The gray areas indicating scleral thinning do not appear to be larger. I've been monitoring for a few days now... But I'm afraid the surface seems unsmooth and I see various tiny caps kinda diffused thru the sclera...

Not sure husband would try the honey. I've seen it around, but hesitated on it. Will read your link. Thank you. He is a physicist and an open minded one. He can be convinced with good arguments. Yes, I wouldn't try the antioxidant route. Good to get your input there for reinforcement..

Kicking myself. I argued with the doc, but gave in on the steroids. I see how this happens. Patients get tired... Vigilance.
Thank you again. Very much.

Birdie

I've been getting bloodshot eyes more often on and off the last 2-3 years.
The only correlations I think I've seen in the short term are increased likelihood if I get either too much sleep disruption/deprivation, or if I get dehydrated - not drinking enough water.
Thanks Tara. This was not the usual bloodshot eyes, but an extreme case with edema. Can be dangerous.
My concern was that the steroids in the eyedrops have caused the complication of scleral thinning.
They were taken only because of the dangerous swelling of the eye itself.

I should have refused the second prescription from the optometrist. There was no swelling of the eye by then.
Yikes, the guy had the nerve to insist that minocycline is a small (mini, hehe) dose of doxy!

He already drinks too much water. He is sleeping well but we are very tired with plans to move across country.
Making us more susceptible! You are right. I am using my baking soda rinse twice a day to avoid another bout.

Birdie

I should clarify that in my eyes, the redness I mentioned earlier isn't conjunctivitis. It's a few capillaries. I was just saying that the bicarbonate and water solution wasn't making those capillaries disappear. And, of course, all the rest of my RP inspired program with it. I've seen improvement in hair color though!!!
Gotta go. Packing to do. Love to all.

HLP

My bloodshot eyes have improved since taking 1 mg of Cyproheptadine before bed. Sleep better too.

Birdie

Last night I noticed a stye beginning in my right eye. I had eye pain beginning and felt a little feverish.. This sent me it the Honey Link. Decided to try the honey drops. Then heat pack. Eye felt relief.

Today no pain or feverish feeling. The stye has not progressed, but rather halted. Will use drops am and pm for a while.

And started my husband on the drops this morning.

Birdie

My bloodshot eyes have improved since taking 1 mg of Cyproheptadine before bed. Sleep better too.
That's good news.

Sheila

Good luck with your move Birdie and I know you will also make progress on the eyes under your charge. I am only beginning to see the enormous benefits of using quality honey, but I could be biased of course as my husband keeps bees. Propolis is under investigation next!
Until next time, my best
Sheila

Montgomery

Milk thistle extract whitened my eyes, so I presume the redness was something to do with the liver.

Chinese medecine links liver problems with eye problems.
Some speak of lipid soluble vitamins (like vitamin A) being stored in the liver; which would help to understand (on an analytical level) the liver's role in eye function.
" Liver HeatWhen there is heat in the liver and liver channel, the eyes are likely to be dry, bloodshot, painful or have a burning sensation. In addition, liver heat is frequently connected with irritability, anger or frustration and may be accompanied by a headache."(Using Traditional Chinese Medicine for Liver and Eye Health - LiverSupport.com)

I believe Mattiew Woods talks about milk thistle cooling the system buy draining the liver or something of the sort?

tomisonbottom

Last night I noticed a stye beginning in my right eye. I had eye pain beginning and felt a little feverish.. This sent me it the Honey Link. Decided to try the honey drops. Then heat pack. Eye felt relief.

Today no pain or feverish feeling. The stye has not progressed, but rather halted. Will use drops am and pm for a while.

How is the redness looking now? Did you continue the honey drops?

Spokey

I used to get bloodshot eyes, I never did figure out what was causing it, but it went away after a time of more Peaty eating. I think resolving some endotoxin issue might have helped.

ddjd

Anything that lowers Estrogen seems to work for me. So vitamin A, 5aDHP are good.

I never had an issue with it until I took diphenhydramine. Terrible. Now they're almost always blood shot in the morning and it's irreversible it seems. Only the Estrogen lowering supps seem to reduce but never permanently

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals