High Glutamate/MSG In Parmigiano Reggiano An Issue?

Gametime

Anyone have any info on the high levels of Glutamate/msg/glutamic acid in Parmigiano Reggiano cheese and other cheeses and how much is safe to eat every single day? I've heard how high glutamte levels can pass by the blood brain barrier and cause neurological problems.. or is this completely untrue?
Is comte cheese okay in terms of glutamte levels?

Also, how much cheese is everyone safely eating a day and what type?

Thanks a lot!

Steve123

I'd be interested to know if the glutamate in parm is a problem.. anybody have anything on this??

L

lollipop

Interested as well. I know Ray Peat has said it is one of the cheeses that is good to eat because it does not have enzymes and is made in the traditional way of rennet. I think that if there was a problem with Glutamate in this kind of cheese, he would have spoken about it.

*Disclaimer Note*: this is my speculation AND I could be wrong.

A. squamosa

I don't know what glutamate is but I eat a crapload of reggiano and comte, and heaps of other cheese, and I'm pretty sure I'm okay?

Steve123

I don't know what glutamate is but I eat a crapload of reggiano and comte, and heaps of other cheese, and I'm pretty sure I'm okay?
How much do you eat on a daily basis? As Lisa said I'm pretty sure there's no problem with it.. i think a lot of foods have a high glutamate content..

Mito

Glutamate can be a problem if it is not balanced with GABA. Haidut has a nice post about glutamate and GABA on page 2 of this thread: high glutamate.
IMG_0759.jpg

IMG_0758.jpg

Steve123

So how much parm is safe to eat a day guys? 100g 200g? More? Doesn't matter? Apparently There's 1200mg of free glutamate in Parm cheese..

opiath

You do realize you are talking about the most abundant amino acid in the human body and all protein sources in general?
You are literally eating grams of it every time you eat protein.
Even milk has 7 grams of glutamate (glutamic acid) per quart.
Glutamine once ingested is basically the same amino acid as once it enters the stomach it breaks down into glutamate and ammonia.

Mito

You do realize you are talking about the most abundant amino acid in the human body and all protein sources in general?
Glutamate is the most abundant amino acid in the diet, but is usually bound up in proteins.
IMG_0762.jpg

Steve123

You are literally eating grams of it every time you eat protein.
Even milk has 7 grams of glutamate (glutamic acid) per quart.
Glutamine once ingested is basically the same amino acid as once it enters the stomach it breaks down into glutamate and ammonia.
Sorry for being so dull but just to confirm so I can eat to my hearts content: Parm cheese won't cause any problems in bigger quantities in terms of glutamate content? Thanks for this! Would really appreciate it !

opiath

I don't think it makes any difference if it is free or bound.
The digestive tract breaks down proteins into individual amino acids and that's what goes inside the bloodstream.

Mito

I don't think it makes any difference if it is free or bound.
The digestive tract breaks down proteins into individual amino acids and that's what goes inside the bloodstream.
Some think that free glutamate gets into the blood and then brain faster which can create an imbalance with GABA in some people. Bound glutamate as you said eventually does the same but at a much slower rate giving time for the body to synethsize enough GABA to balance the two.

Steve123

Thanks for this guys!

Would you say that if you did consume too much glutamic acid/glutamate etc.. and started having neurological symptoms that they would not be permanent and that if noticing a trend with symptoms after high amounts of glutamate/glutamic acid from food could be stopped/reversed/prevented by reducing high glutamate foods?

Also, I'm not the best peater and I do consume meat twice daily, would this still not be an issue if I'm eating the meat which has glutamic acid along with parm cheese or comte cheese or milk etc ?

Steve123

And also Great Lakes Gelatin along with that and potatoes etc etc, lots of high glutamatic foods along with parm/comte cheese!

OP
G

Gametime

Would comte cheese have lower amounts of glutamic acid? Would the lower the ageing time the better for glutamic acid in cheese?

Steve123

@haidut @Travis Whats your opinions guys? A daily diet high in Parmigianno Regianno/Comte or similar aged cheeses 50g-200g worth daily, Lots of potatoes, Quite a bit of meat, lots of dairy and occasional tomatoes/corn/brocolli, Great lakes Gelatin (I know not peaty at all) .. Do you think its an issue with the apparent problems associated with excess glutamate/msg where neurological problems etc apparently come in play?.. Mito posted a photo above with the free glutamate contents of foods, where parmesan/potatoes comes out pretty high.. I can't say i've experienced any side effects, maybe a head ache after bone broth maybe, But would a diet like this be safe long term and is it the type of thing where when damage is done it isn't reversible whatever?

Also, would cheeses be less of an issue the less they are aged maybe?

Some articles that have got me thinking: https://chriskresser.com/beyond-msg-could-hidden-sources-of-glutamate-be-harming-your-health/

Thanks guys in advance.. I appreciate your knowledge and expertise in advance!

Douglas Ek

Anyone have any info on the high levels of Glutamate/msg/glutamic acid in Parmigiano Reggiano cheese and other cheeses and how much is safe to eat every single day? I've heard how high glutamte levels can pass by the blood brain barrier and cause neurological problems.. or is this completely untrue?
Is comte cheese okay in terms of glutamte levels?

Also, how much cheese is everyone safely eating a day and what type?

Thanks a lot!

Theres speculation glutamate is dangerous. If you inject large doses into an animal its obviously excitotoxic. But eating it i think body partialy controlls it. Msg is just a sodium molecule attached to glutamate. Sodium is healthy according to ray peat. Couple of years ago msg was all the rave. So bad its in asian food. Well its naturally in alot of foods. And all it is is sodium with an amino acid

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals