Caffeine May Be More Evil Than You Think!

David Chung

Do any of those studies control for overall adequate nutrition (really adequate, not low-calorie public health standards of adequacy), as well as really adequate carbs/sugar before the coffee consumption?
Unfortunately, no. Most studies are lacking in that regard. The studies leave a lot of questions unanswered.

From the studies, one thing I noticed: Ray (and Haidu)'s recommendation of consuming sugar with caffeine (or coffee) appears have some support.

tara

Unfortunately, no. Most studies are lacking in that regard. The studies leave a lot of questions unanswered.
So that means they did not give evidence about whether caffeine induced stress under well-nourished conditions.
Relevant since that's been the frequent contention around here - that if you are going to drive your metabolism up with supplements (caffeine, thyroid, others) then you better make sure you support it with adequate nourishment or it can cause more stress.

Tawnya

I have only just started drinking a little coffee in the last couple of years - with all the references i'd heard to coffee as an addictive drug, I figured there wasn't much point in aquiring a taste for it.

I now think it is likely that Peat is right, and that there is lots of evidence for coffee having beneficial effects. However, it still seems risky for me personally. I currently assume this is for the reasons others have stated above - that it boosts metabolism and that I still don't have adequate glycogen storage capacity and maybe other nutrients to support too much of it. Since it seems to make me sleep longer and deeper, I suspect this is why it leaves me more prone to waking up with problems already underway.

I also wonder whether for those of us who don't produce optimal amonts of T4 and T3, the increased rate of conversion of T4 to T3 stimulated by coffee could also lead to a subsequent slump in both, as the body uses them both up faster than they bcan be produced? I haven't read anyhthing that says this diectly, but it seems logical that it could happen from the other things I've read from Peat. If anyone has opinions or relevant quotes on this I'd be interested.

Personally, I'm currently drinking decaf, which probably still has a little caffeine in it, and try to spread it out through the day. I hope eventually I will be able to handle full caffeine coffee too.
This is old but I'm feeling horrible today and have felt it coming on over past week. I have been drinking a half cup coffee 2 x day with meal I started 2 weeks ago. This morning I had the sweats when I woke up anxiety and just horrible feeling. I was having this before but it seemed to be getting better the past couple months( RP for about 11 months now) so I've had this happen after trying to take thyroid glandular. A big crash about 2 weeks after starting. So I am wondering if the coffee is acting like thyroid hormone and my body just doesn't have the metabolism to support its use same same the glandular? I deal if chronic dibilitating fatigue daily so I want to bang my head into the wall at this point. Does one just keep eating trying to restore metabolism that way? Have hashimotos too

HLP

Coffee rocks! Before I improved the status of my health, I didn't tolerate coffee. Now I can drink 4 or 5 cups with absolutely no jitters. Labeling something evil is pretty drastic.

Xisca

This is old but I'm feeling horrible today and have felt it coming on over past week. I have been drinking a half cup coffee 2 x day with meal I started 2 weeks ago. This morning I had the sweats when I woke up anxiety and just horrible feeling. I was having this before but it seemed to be getting better the past couple months( RP for about 11 months now) so I've had this happen after trying to take thyroid glandular. A big crash about 2 weeks after starting. So I am wondering if the coffee is acting like thyroid hormone and my body just doesn't have the metabolism to support its use same same the glandular? I deal if chronic dibilitating fatigue daily so I want to bang my head into the wall at this point. Does one just keep eating trying to restore metabolism that way? Have hashimotos too
Take care of your adrenals first!

Xisca

Chernesky again....

The Coffee Deception: 13 Little Known Facts About Coffee | Humans Are Free

Who wants to debunk point by point?

1st about it being a poison...

1. Caffeine is an alkaloid that the coffee plant uses to kill bugs, which eat its' seed
4. Coffee can cause an urge to move ones' bowels because this is one way the body tries to eliminate poison from the system. The sudden urge to "poo" after drinking coffee is one of the body's defense mechanisms to poison

I woud say that
- most medicine are poisons, that is why they work, so take it for what you need!
- we are not bugs
- should we stop eating so many food that contain lectin, phytic acid, oxalic acid, solanine...
...or learn how to prepare them, mix them with other food, learn to dose, spread through the day and what else?

And who knows what the effect on bowel movements comes from?

Last edited:

Luann

I like coffee but am going to stop drinking so much of it or switch to decaf at least. It makes me feel ill in large amounts and hasn't really helped my mom, or any of the people with health problems that I know. Although a little coffee is probably better than none.

sladerunner69

I like coffee but am going to stop drinking so much of it or switch to decaf at least. It makes me feel ill in large amounts and hasn't really helped my mom, or any of the people with health problems that I know. Although a little coffee is probably better than none.

Getting adequate carbs and sugars?

Xisca

Getting adequate carbs and sugars?
That is the general theory, but then, when you take edequate sugar, you have to slowly up the sugars and the coffee, both each time more. I mean for some people, not all, and the scaling up can be fast or slow.
So the problem is not as easy as just having to take sugar.
The problem is the adequate dosis goes up.

For my old dad, having 1 cup with a piece of chocolate is fine for him to keep is boold pressure from going down. he takes it after lunch, and has tea or herbal for breakfast.

sladerunner69

That is the general theory, but then, when you take edequate sugar, you have to slowly up the sugars and the coffee, both each time more. I mean for some people, not all, and the scaling up can be fast or slow.
So the problem is not as easy as just having to take sugar.
The problem is the adequate dosis goes up.

For my old dad, having 1 cup with a piece of chocolate is fine for him to keep is boold pressure from going down. he takes it after lunch, and has tea or herbal for breakfast.

The tolerance for coffee is a factor, though I have found some days I drink less and some days more....

dbh25

The tolerance for coffee is a factor, though I have found some days I drink less and some days more....
I seem to have reverse tolerance. When I drank it every day, I could only drink a cup. I stopped for a month and had it again, and feel like I could drink alot. If I wanted to.

Xisca

I seem to have reverse tolerance. When I drank it every day, I could only drink a cup. I stopped for a month and had it again, and feel like I could drink alot. If I wanted to.
Interersting statement about resetting the adrenaline receptors may be?

dbh25

I feel like my body saturates with it, and can't process it all. So it stays in my system. I had bad withdrawl the 1st week.

michael94

Interersting statement about resetting the adrenaline receptors may be?

Coffee stimulates bile release ( it is good and bad for this reason ). If your body doesn't or can't release enough bile then your kidneys have to deal with the caffeine and bitter compounds which would explain why it might sit in your stomach for a while if you're sensitive. This can be very harsh on the kidneys for some people. If coffee gives lower back pain/tightness/off-feeling then this might be you. This doesn't mean you shouldn't drink it, there are both short and long term effects to consider, physical and emotional...

Receptors is nonsense. If there's no reason for the "receptors" to desensitize they won't. The organism of a "fast oxidizer" has higher energy, kidney filtration, vile turnover, less bacteria and fungus, etc.

Xisca

Coffee stimulates bile release
and then kidneys... and maybe that is why I have to wake up at night? I do lack bile and have some liver congestion.... I started coffee only 2 years ago and now really love it.

By receptor I mean of adrenaline, not of coffee! I was thinking of something similar to nicotine creating more acetylcholine receptors. Can the use of coffee make us produce more receptors for adrenaline? As this explain the difficulty to give up in both cases... and also the need to increase the dosis.

Xisca

it might sit in your stomach for a while if you're sensitive.
If coffee gives lower back pain/tightness/off-feeling then this might be you.
No problem in my stomach and gives me energy.
Yes for lower back pain...
also have some sort of congestion feeling at liver level, confirmed by osteopath. Olive oil with orange juice did help, 1st thing getting up.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Xisca

Enough for the orange juice bowl to be covered like a petrol tank accident on the sea! 2 or 3 glew-glew from a big 1 gallon tank! I still have 1 coffee after lunch, with egg yolk and coconut oil and honey.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Enough for the orange juice bowl to be covered like a petrol tank accident on the sea! 2 or 3 glew-glew from a big 1 gallon tank! I still have 1 coffee after lunch, with egg yolk and coconut oil and honey.
:hattip

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals