Photosensitivity Of Vitamin K2

Amazoniac

Stabilization-oriented preformulation study of photolabile menatetrenone (vitamin K2) - ScienceDirect

"Menatetrenone (vitamin K,; 2-methyl-3-alltrans-tetraprenyl-1,Cnaphthoquinone) was originally developed in Japan and has been used as injections for the treatment of hypoprothrombinemia due to a lack of vitamin K in newborns. Because the drug is very photolabile, it is necessary to protect the commercial dosage form from light."

"To study the effect of specific wavelength of light on the photostability of menatetrenone, the same grating monochromator as described in our previous paper (Matsuda et al., 1989) was used within the wavelength range of 290-537 nm. Samples were exposed to light at each wavelength until the intensity level of the irradiation reached the same value (1.1 X 10^5 J/m^2). In the ordinary stability tests a white fluorescent lamp (type FL20SW, Toshiba Co., Japan) was used as a light source."

"No degradation occurred at wavelengths above 480 nm. However, a significant decrease in the percentage remaining was observed below 480 nm, showing a minimum at around 430 nm followed by a further increase at lower wavelengths. This result suggests that, due to menatetrenone being so readily decomposed even by visible light, the drug must be stored carefully if a fluorescent lamp is used in a stock room."

upload_2017-8-12_9-2-35.png

"A slight increase in degradation rate constant was found as the temperature rose."

"If all light beams radiating from the fluorescent lamp are parallel, the degradation rate constant should be constant, irrespective of the exposure area. However, a significant effect of exposure area was observed, in contrast to expectations. This phenomenon might be due to scattered light straying into the sample solution, the contribution of which may be significant. In cases where the intensity of incident light was kept constant, the reason why the drug was apparently stabilized with increasing depth of solution was attributable to a lowering of the relative absorption efficiency of light energy per molecule with increasing number of drug molecules, in addition to the supply of light energy to the lower parts of the solution being insufficient."

"[..]the photostabilizing design of encapsulated menatetrenone should be more satisfactorily achieved by using round capsules rather than oval, oblong, tubeshape forms, since the solid having the minimum surface area per unit volume is a sphere."

--
Electromagnetic spectrum - Wikipedia
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1151-2916.1954.tb14006.x/epdf
Dairy - Package Protection And Preservation
Simply Red

@haidut @healthnatura

Last edited:

paymanz

I wondering if it only applies to k2 form , otherwise how k1 withstands in leaves and sunlight in plants?

haidut

Forum Supporter
Stabilization-oriented preformulation study of photolabile menatetrenone (vitamin K2) - ScienceDirect

"Menatetrenone (vitamin K,; 2-methyl-3-alltrans-tetraprenyl-1,Cnaphthoquinone) was originally developed in Japan and has been used as injections for the treatment of hypoprothrombinemia due to a lack of vitamin K in newborns. Because the drug is very photolabile, it is necessary to protect the commercial dosage form from light."

"To study the effect of specific wavelength of light on the photostability of menatetrenone, the same grating monochromator as described in our previous paper (Matsuda et al., 1989) was used within the wavelength range of 290-537 nm. Samples were exposed to light at each wavelength until the intensity level of the irradiation reached the same value (1.1 X 10^5 J/m^2). In the ordinary stability tests a white fluorescent lamp (type FL20SW, Toshiba Co., Japan) was used as a light source."

"No degradation occurred at wavelengths above 480 nm. However, a significant decrease in the percentage remaining was observed below 480 nm, showing a minimum at around 430 nm followed by a further increase at lower wavelengths. This result suggests that, due to menatetrenone being so readily decomposed even by visible light, the drug must be stored carefully if a fluorescent lamp is used in a stock room."

View attachment 6198

"A slight increase in degradation rate constant was found as the temperature rose."

"If all light beams radiating from the fluorescent lamp are parallel, the degradation rate constant should be constant, irrespective of the exposure area. However, a significant effect of exposure area was observed, in contrast to expectations. This phenomenon might be due to scattered light straying into the sample solution, the contribution of which may be significant. In cases where the intensity of incident light was kept constant, the reason why the drug was apparently stabilized with increasing depth of solution was attributable to a lowering of the relative absorption efficiency of light energy per molecule with increasing number of drug molecules, in addition to the supply of light energy to the lower parts of the solution being insufficient."

"[..]the photostabilizing design of encapsulated menatetrenone should be more satisfactorily achieved by using round capsules rather than oval, oblong, tubeshape forms, since the solid having the minimum surface area per unit volume is a sphere."

--
Electromagnetic spectrum - Wikipedia
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1151-2916.1954.tb14006.x/epdf
Simply Red

@haidut @healthnatura

Thank you, great find. That is why we are using the solid white bottles for Kuinone now, whenever we can get them from our supplier.

Wagner83

Thank you, great find. That is why we are using the solid white bottles for Kuinone now, whenever we can get them from our supplier.
Do you know how quick it degrades under sunlight? Pretty sure I remember an older posts of yours in which you said it was at least a few hours/24 hours of constant exposure to lights (as opposed to one of the b vitamins which degraded quick).

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Do you know how quick it degrades under sunlight? Pretty sure I remember an older posts of yours in which you said it was at least a few hours/24 hours of constant exposure to lights (as opposed to one of the b vitamins which degraded quick).
Below-clouds and human here, but it's not as simple as sunlight. It involves the incidence, intensity, specific spectrum, heat (why we don't have a Raysidual Peat member yet?), area, etc. And concentration:
upload_2017-8-27_12-5-41.png

I would still apply all of these yellow substances on the armpit: less light, less air, thin skin.

haidut

Forum Supporter

See attached image from the study. It depends on the concentration of menatetrenone. When that concentration exceeds 12mg/ml degradation is very minor even after 8 hours (i.e. about 10% degradation or less). And in our Kuinone the concentration is a lot more than that. I would still keep it away from direct sunlight but I think the issue with sunlight is not that big

Attachments

• menatetrenone_degradation.png
    menatetrenone_degradation.png
    32.3 KB · Views: 14

lvysaur

Anyone have any studies on oxygen degradation of vitamin K2?

TreasureVibe

Uhm, this may sound odd but I shined my iPhone 6s plus flashlight from up close on my Thorne K2 bottle for about 8 seconds to check how much was left in it. The lid was closed during this time. Would this have caused degradation already of the vitamin K2 inside? Thanks! @haidut

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Uhm, this may sound odd but I shined my iPhone 6s plus flashlight from up close on my Thorne K2 bottle for about 8 seconds to check how much was left in it. The lid was closed during this time. Would this have caused degradation already of the vitamin K2 inside? Thanks! @haidut
Not at all. The amber bottle doesn't allow the degrading range to pass:

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Also not when the flashlight was held close? Like a milimeter away from the glass?
They irradiated plastic dishes with a fluorescent lamp for 8 hours, unprotected from visible light, and even on the lowest mk-4 concentration less than half was degraded after 4 hours, and after those 8 hours elapsed there was still 35% left. On top of that they used rapeseed oil, which doesn't help anything in terms of stability; it can also explain why lower concentrations are more susceptible to damage, saturated fats as vehicle should stabilize it. There's also the fact that amber glasses transmit only about 5% of the wavelengths that degrade mk-4 the most. The only thing against is the proximity, but it's nothing for 8s considering those points.
How did you do that since the label covers almost all of it?

ddjd

worrying....

"Vitamin K is only slightly sensitive to heat, but is extremely sensitive to light. So much so that when we measure vitamin K in a laboratory we work under yellow lamps. In food oils exposed to daylight, 80 percent of the vitamin K disappears within two days. To make sure that your food and supplements retain their vitamin K content over time, keep them in the refrigerator, behind cabinets, or otherwise out of the light when not in use. If you keep them in plain daylight, they should be in amber glass or in opaque containers such as the white plastic used for most supplements."

Mauritio

Does K2 have the same photosensitizing effect as B2 ,so should sun bathing be avoided directly after K2 supplementation?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals