5 Common Regrets Of The Dying

keith

That is a great quote

CoolTweetPete

Love Sam Harris' work.

I recently finished Waking Up: A Guide to Spirituality Without Religion, and it really elucidated why people become so fervently religious and how meditation is a road to the same experiences without having to believe in nonsensical fairytales.

Thanks for the article as well. :hattip

Rafe

@Amazoniac
I'm A bit stuck on slicking back my hair at the moment. Striding forth from explosions is Thursday. Or Friday. I have swigged orange juice from the jug in the parking lot. It's an awesome ride.

tara

and how meditation is a road to the same experiences without having to believe in nonsensical fairytales.
Just because fairy tales are often not literally accurate doesn't mean they are all nonsense. :)

CoolTweetPete

Just because fairy tales are often not literally accurate doesn't mean they are all nonsense. :)

I suppose allegorically the stories are helpful to some people. I think I've just been scarred by organized religion and sometimes I have trouble controlling my disdain for the intellectual dishonesty of a few.

Nick W.

"Why would one want to be anything but kind to them in the meantime?"

Let's turn the tables. Would anyone prefer that people just be kind to them in spite of how that person may really feel?

tara

I think I've just been scarred by organized religion and sometimes I have trouble controlling my disdain for the intellectual dishonesty of a few.
Yeah, I have to say I've had some pretty unpleasant run-ins with people in particular branches too, and some people have done some pretty nasty (eg murderous, covetous) stuff in the name of (their version of) religion. I've certainly also seen a bit of intellectual dishonesty. And I've been put off by enough of the negatives to keep me from spending much time hanging out in churches for the last few decades. But not all of it seems bad to me, and some people seem to be inspired or supported to do really good work, and in a society where communities are becoming more and more disjointed, churches often provide a way to have connections with a community. Some really kind and rational people I know are also religious. Seems like you can get all kinds of people practicing it in all kinds of ways.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals