Has Anyone Used Vitamin K2 On Their Dogs?

KGK

Just wondering if anyone has experience using k2 on their dogs?

One year ago our dog had bloodwork done and the liver enzymes were quite high. We gave a number of supplements and they came down into a very normal range. Of course, cancer was mentioned as a possibility. Since then I've just continued feeding and doing what I was doing and she seemed great. Very good energy especially for her breed.

I made an appt. last week for annual bloodwork and it showed the liver enzymes(just alt this time) are creeping up but nowhere near as high as a year ago. One vet(a year ago) asked me what I fed including supplements. I mentioned vitamin k and she said "Be carefull with vitamin k". I said that it was just k2. She didn't respond to that. I should have pursued it further with her. However, we don't go there anymore. I did continue to give it.

The aafco has only approved k3 in dog food(a bit insane). So it's hard to get info on using k2 in dogs.

She had a small lump on her chest this time going into the vet. The vet was unable to feel it(it is there in fact we think there might be a second one that we just felt today).I stopped giving k2 a week ago because the comment from the vet a year ago played on my mind. There seems to be quite a bit of info. on the benefits k2 and cancer. Now I'm thinking that perhaps I should keep giving it as she seems "too quiet" since we left the vet. She also declined food last night which never has happened. She picked out the meat quietly and walked away from the rest. So I gave her more raw meat so that she would eat. For some, probably no big deal but that's not like her at all.

I would love to hear if anyone has used k2 on their dogs and if so how it went.

Thank you!
Kathleen

yes plenty of K2 to our dog, a retriever whippet mutt. No problems at all. We also give her T3, T4, sugar, salt, Progest-e, taurine and pregnenolone.

She was ultrasounded and has a VERY small liver. Platelets are quite low, around 40,000 which is high enough to prevent bleeding but only just.

She has a good appetite. A lump or two was discovered through palpation recently and she may have lymphoma but so far she has been thriving. Drinking a lot of water (we are giving her a bit more salt as a result) but otherwise, acts and behaves normally and has for months.

OP
K

KGK

Sorry, failed to include this.

The vet tech. was too rough with her at the appt. She's very sensitive and seemed solemn afterwards. I don't know how much that affected everything.

OP
K

KGK

yes plenty of K2 to our dog, a retriever whippet mutt. No problems at all. We also give her T3, T4, sugar, salt, Progest-e, taurine and pregnenolone.

She was ultrasounded and has a VERY small liver. Platelets are quite low, around 40,000 which is high enough to prevent bleeding but only just.

She has a good appetite. A lump or two was discovered through palpation recently and she may have lymphoma but so far she has been thriving. Drinking a lot of water (we are giving her a bit more salt as a result) but otherwise, acts and behaves normally and has for months.

Have you always given K2? Do you use Thorne? Do you mind asking you how you feed her also?
Thanks!

i give her raw meaty bones and raw food that we buy frozen.

K2 is from vitaspace.com, I recommend them highly, it's US$20/gram and very pure.

OP
K

KGK

Thanks so much. I've been thinking about asking for an antibiotic. Georgie was very helpful to me last year with some suggestions which included glycine. I also asked Ray Peat about the liver enzymes last year and he recommended eggs, mushrooms, milk and an antihistamine. The study he gave me referred to famotidine. I've fed her all those foods quite a bit but haven't used the antihistamine. Have you considered any of those? Did you start giving the supplements because of issues encountered?

Here is Ray's exact quote:
Doctors commonly prescribe unnecessarily big doses of antibiotics when they don’t know exactly what’s wrong. Penicillin isn’t very harmful to the liver, so it could cause some improvement. Tetracycline or doxycycline or minocycline would have antiinflammatory/anticancer effects besides an antibiotic effect, so it seems more appropriate when you don’t know what’s wrong. Bad food is a common reason for elevated liver enzymes, especially starches, PUFA, and various chemical irritants. Milk, cottage cheese, eggs, and cooked mushrooms help to reduce bowel-liver inflammation, and an antihistamine and aspirin can help. Low thyroid function can increase signs of liver damage.

She's crazy about milk so I give it everyday. I was pleased to read that the Austrailian dog who lived to 30 loved her milk.
Thanks,
Kathleen

yes I've thought about those but I haven't done any of them. I probably would try cypro first. She is going to go on an antibiotic. The vet gave her something stupid so I will call and see if she can't switch to minocycline

OP
K

KGK

He mentioned Penicillin because I had told him that she was prescribed Amoxicillin. The vet did that in case the enzyme rise was due to something like Leptosporosis.

OP
K

KGK

Just fyi: I asked the vet why she didn't prescribe doxycycline as it is best noted for Lepto. She said she was concerned about it's effect of the liver. Ours did take the Amoxicillin despite it turning out not to be Lepto. This time I think I will give it in small doses in case it could challenge her liver.

Rivka

I use k2 one drop everyday in organic grassfed meat. Niacinamide daily. Alternate tetracycline with flowers of sulphur and charcoal and carrots.

Rivka

I think it's important to keep the dogs gut clean from endotoxin as much as for humans. I've noticed great results and a much happier and healthier dog with this protocol. Also my dogs cysts started to decrease too.

nikotrope

I was moving my dog's diet to raw food diet but he got stones a month in (I am waiting on the analysis to know which type). Sadly the vet didn't see stones the first time, then the second time breached the bladder and my dog had to get surgery to fix the bladder and a urethrostomy because the stones couldn't be moved from the penis (+ he had to be neutered for the urethrostomy).

I am going to start k2 for him, but I wonder what dose should I give him (I only have 1mg dropper)? If anyone has suggestions and/or links for food/supplements post-surgery and to prevent stones I'd appreciate.

you can use a pretty hefty dose. Dogs of 30 pounds often need an adult dose of whatever, and bigger dogs even bigger doses.

Simba

I was about to use K2 on my 13 year old labrador. I found a study showing high doses are very safe and thought I'd post here for others to reference. the NOAEL for dogs was 200mg/kg body weight.

Vitamin K for Dogs: Evidence-based Analysis on Benefits and Side Effects | NextGen Dog
Safety and toxicological evaluation of a synthetic vitamin K2, menaquinone-7

I knew cardiovascular disease was prevalent in a majority of senior dogs, and I automatically presumed that meant hardened arteries. Arterial calcification is treated/prevented using K2 and Vitamin D in humans, so I thought I'd give my dog K2 as a preventative. But I don't think I will now because the kind of heart disease common to senior dogs is different to humans ! In dogs they tend to get heart muscle and valve diseases instead. 5 Myths About Heart Disease in Animals - Cardiology Northwest