Rhodiola Rosea

Diokine

I have found this herb (along with ginger) to be nearly indispensable for correcting inflammation mediated energetic deficits. I find that occasional supplementation is also fantastic for increasing dopamine levels.

Protective effects of salidroside from Rhodiola rosea on LPS-induced acute lung injury in mice.

Salidroside stimulates mitochondrial biogenesis and protects against H₂O₂-induced endothelial dysfunction.

Effect of salidroside, active principle of Rhodiola rosea extract, on binge eating.
Stress is a key determinant of binge eating (BE). Since Rhodiola rosea is known to modulate stress responses, its effect in a model of BE was investigated. BE for highly palatable food (HPF) was evoked in female rats by three 8-day cycles of food restriction/re-feeding (for 4days 66% of the usual chow intake; for 4days food ad libitum) and acute stress on the test day (day 25). R. rosea dry extract (3% rosavin, 3.12% salidroside) or its active principles were given by gavage 1h before access to HPF. Only rats exposed to both food restrictions and stress exhibited BE in the first 15-60min after the stressful procedure. R. rosea extract 10mg/kg significantly reduced and 20mg/kg abolished the BE episode.
R. rosea extract 20mg/kg abolished also stress-induced increase in serum corticosterone levels. The R. rosea active principle salidroside, but not rosavin, at doses present in the extract, dose-dependently reduced or abolished BE for the period in which it was elicited. In conclusion results indicate that R. rosea extracts may have therapeutic properties in bingeing-related eating disorders and that salidroside is the active principle responsible for this effect.

Protection by salidroside against bone loss via inhibition of oxidative stress and bone-resorbing mediators.

The cardioprotective effect of salidroside against myocardial ischemia reperfusion injury in rats by inhibiting apoptosis and inflammation.

Salidroside ameliorates insulin resistance through activation of a mitochondria-associated AMPK/PI3K/Akt/GSK3β pathway.

squanch

I have found this herb (along with ginger) to be nearly indispensable for correcting inflammation mediated energetic deficits. I find that occasional supplementation is also fantastic for increasing dopamine levels.
Could you tell me more about how you use it?
I've tried it in the past, but other than temporarily improving my short-sightedness for some reason (psilocybin does the same for me), I've not really felt any benefits.

OP
Diokine

Diokine

I steep dried roots in very hot water for about 5 minutes. I also have an ethanol extract of dried roots that I will add to things (sugared milk, OJ) sometimes. I will only use the tea if I feel excessive serotonin symptoms. I have found that I need to be very careful and conservative with dosing, using tea I can achieve a stimulated state that quite honestly beats cocaine. It is a very unpleasant comedown, for sure.

temporarily improving my short-sightedness

Fascinating, this is one of my personal favorite research interests, the development and persistence of myopia. It's a very complex issue but the big players are dopamine and histamine, along with serotonin and some others. I have also noticed a reduction with psilocybin, but not with Rhodiola. I'll pay more attention.

squanch

Thank you.
It's been a while since I last tried it, you just reminded me that I still have a bottle of freeze dried extract lying around.
I think I will give it another try.

B-styles

I love Rhodiola. Has helped me with sleep and lower back pain. I use an extract so less is needed and more convenient

Makrosky

Protective effects of salidroside from Rhodiola rosea on LPS-induced acute lung injury in mice.

Salidroside stimulates mitochondrial biogenesis and protects against H₂O₂-induced endothelial dysfunction.

Effect of salidroside, active principle of Rhodiola rosea extract, on binge eating.
Stress is a key determinant of binge eating (BE). Since Rhodiola rosea is known to modulate stress responses, its effect in a model of BE was investigated. BE for highly palatable food (HPF) was evoked in female rats by three 8-day cycles of food restriction/re-feeding (for 4days 66% of the usual chow intake; for 4days food ad libitum) and acute stress on the test day (day 25). R. rosea dry extract (3% rosavin, 3.12% salidroside) or its active principles were given by gavage 1h before access to HPF. Only rats exposed to both food restrictions and stress exhibited BE in the first 15-60min after the stressful procedure. R. rosea extract 10mg/kg significantly reduced and 20mg/kg abolished the BE episode.
R. rosea extract 20mg/kg abolished also stress-induced increase in serum corticosterone levels. The R. rosea active principle salidroside, but not rosavin, at doses present in the extract, dose-dependently reduced or abolished BE for the period in which it was elicited. In conclusion results indicate that R. rosea extracts may have therapeutic properties in bingeing-related eating disorders and that salidroside is the active principle responsible for this effect.

Protection by salidroside against bone loss via inhibition of oxidative stress and bone-resorbing mediators.

The cardioprotective effect of salidroside against myocardial ischemia reperfusion injury in rats by inhibiting apoptosis and inflammation.

Salidroside ameliorates insulin resistance through activation of a mitochondria-associated AMPK/PI3K/Akt/GSK3β pathway.

Aren't you worried about the serotonergic properties of the herb ?

I have a bottle of it at home and I think I'm gonna try it for the headaches I mentioned in another post because I think it could be dopamine deficit as you and others suggested. Until metergoline comes to the rescue.

What do you think about the serotonin increase with RR?

OP
Diokine

Diokine

Can you be a little more specific? I think the serotonin system is critical for modulation of the circadian rhythm and life in general, so herbs that alter it's effects tend to be fairly powerful.

I do think that Rhodiola is better used very short term, and in low doses.

Makrosky

Can you be a little more specific? I think the serotonin system is critical for modulation of the circadian rhythm and life in general, so herbs that alter it's effects tend to be fairly powerful.

I do think that Rhodiola is better used very short term, and in low doses.
Well... this is RP forum... we generally want to LOWER serotonin, not increase it. Wether RR increases it via MAOI mechanisms or other ones, it is generally considered here that serotonin is not good. That's why I asked.

Btw what do you understand for very short term ? 1 week ?

B-styles

Aren't you worried about the serotonergic properties of the herb ?

I have a bottle of it at home and I think I'm gonna try it for the headaches I mentioned in another post because I think it could be dopamine deficit as you and others suggested. Until metergoline comes to the rescue.

I'm not concerned about the whole serotonin thing Peat talks about. You need serotonin like anything else. Of course it needs to be in balance with other neurotransmitters/hormones.

Besides, the serotonin in it could be why it has the positive effect in so many people.

OP
Diokine

Diokine

it is generally considered here that serotonin is not good

Excess serotonin from the gut can definitely be a huge factor in dis-ease, but serotonin by itself is not "bad." It is critical for proper social and environmental integration. Serotonin in the brain is a hugely complicated issue, receptor density and sensitivity as well as transport mechanisms are all involved in it's maintenance.

Very short term - Personally I wouldn't dose more than 3x in one week. I wouldn't use it longer than a week either. It is a very powerful substance.

B-styles

Excess serotonin from the gut can definitely be a huge factor in dis-ease, but serotonin by itself is not "bad." It is critical for proper social and environmental integration. Serotonin in the brain is a hugely complicated issue, receptor density and sensitivity as well as transport mechanisms are all involved in it's maintenance.

Very short term - Personally I wouldn't dose more than 3x in one week. I wouldn't use it longer than a week either. It is a very powerful substance.
Exactly !
Of course it needs to be in balance

Makrosky

What is more common in all traditional herbalism and traditional medicines is more prolonged courses. Perhaps 3 weeks on, 1 week off, or something like that. Taking 3 rhodiola doses in one week.... of course if you say it works for you, nothing to argue about, but that's not the common way to use it. Perhaps you are really healthy and 3 times is enough but for someone who needs an adaptogen, 3 normal doses is too few.

I'm gonna try it anytime soon anyway, will report effects.

B-styles

What is more common in all traditional herbalism and traditional medicines is more prolonged courses. Perhaps 3 weeks on, 1 week off, or something like that. Taking 3 rhodiola doses in one week.... of course if you say it works for you, nothing to argue about, but that's not the common way to use it. Perhaps you are really healthy and 3 times is enough but for someone who needs an adaptogen, 3 normal doses is too few.

I'm gonna try it anytime soon anyway, will report effects.

B-styles

I am actually FOR the prolonged method. I believe it is the member Diokine that says that. I have used Rhodiola among other adaptogens for prolonged periods of time with great results. I say definitely try it and see what happens

Lejeboca

I am actually FOR the prolonged method. I believe it is the member Diokine that says that. I have used Rhodiola among other adaptogens for prolonged periods of time with great results. I say definitely try it and see what happens

Rhodiola rosea has been extensively studied (and used) by Russians [cannot post a link yet :-( but try searching on "rhodiola-rosea-phytomedicinal-overview" .]

From their monograph "Rhodiola Rosea: A Phytomedicinal Overview":
"[Russian] Medical and pharmacological texts describe its use as a stimulant for asthenia (fatigue), for somatic and infectious illnesses, in psychiatric and neurological conditions, and in healthy individuals to relieve fatigue and to increase attention span, memory, and work productivity. The common dose is 5-10 drops 2-3 times a day, 15-30 minutes before eating for a period of 10-20 days. In psychiatric disorders with fatigue, a starting dose of 10 drops 2-3 times a day is gradually increased up to 30-40 drops for 1-2 months."

And speaking of serotonin (5-HT), dopamine (DA), and norepinephrine (NE):
"As an antioxidant,53-55 R. rosea may help protect the nervous system from oxidative damage by free radicals. Stress interferes with memory functions and, over time, causes deterioration in memory systems. In addition to enhancing cognitive functions, learning, and memory by stimulating NE, DA, 5-HT, and Ach neuronal systems, R. rosea may exert positive effects on memory and cognition by improving resistance to physical and emotional stress. Thus, the dual action of cognitive stimulation and emotional calming creates benefits for both immediate cognitive and memory performance and for the long-term preservation of brain functions. "

In general, since R. rosea is an adaptogen, it is "catatoxic" per what I've head Dr. Peat say, and thus, safe and good to use.

I have been using R. rosea (liquid ethanol extract of the roots) for about 1.5 year continuously. One obvious effect is that my immune system got stronger: Did not not have any head colds at all during this period. I take about 10 drops 2x per day, in the morning and at night, and an extra dose whenever under stress, such as being on a trans-Atlantic flight. This dose does not seem to interfere with my sleep.

OP
Diokine

Diokine

Thinking back about my use of it, I probably used it for longer than a week at a few points but I tended to cycle it pretty heavily and had long periods of time without using any. It was very powerful for me and felt like it had the potential for long-term effects, and it was a challenge to find proper dosing. I didn't mean to argue with you and it feels like I did, you asked me if I'm concerned about the sertotonergic effects of Rhodiola and I'd say generally the answer is yes - I'm conservative with it regardless of the mechanism of action because it feels prudent.

Lejeboca

... It was very powerful for me and felt like it had the potential for long-term effects, and it was a challenge to find proper dosing. ...

Then I'd try the so-called "spiritual doses", i.e., 1-3 drops no more than twice per day. It will be as powerful (on the spiritual plain) but any negative physical effects will be minimized.

RealNeat

Then I'd try the so-called "spiritual doses", i.e., 1-3 drops no more than twice per day. It will be as powerful (on the spiritual plain) but any negative physical effects will be minimized.
When talking of drops and dosages I think it's much better to be specific in mg of herb. I've found some benefits to supplementing 685mg alcohol root extract acutely during prolonged exhaustion. I would like this thread to be somewhat revived If anyone else has more input. Rhodiola Rosea Supplement — Health Benefits, Dosage, Side Effects

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals