Gelatin Can Acutally Increase Serotonin

Parsifal

Jenn said:
post 28165 If you are supplementing with Taurine and gelatin, why are you blaming the gelatin? It not usually recommended to take isolated amino acids, even "good" ones.

Could you develop on that please?

I've already read that isolated amino acids are not well absorbed by the body because we need "complete" proteins for the body to absorb amino acids.

By the way gelatin contains a lot of glutamic acid and arginine that is said to raise glutamate and NO (so maybe indirectly serotonin?).
I don't know how the product is processed so there could be a problem here as well irritating the gut or being full of histamines or polyamines due to the lack of freshness of the product?

I've read that milk powder can be problematic compared to real milk because the casein will be denatured so that could be a similar issue here?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mossy

You can cook gelatin for quite a while with no problem, although I think very long cooking produces more histamines. I can't eat gelatin in any form I've tried. I don't know if it's histamines in gelatin that bother me or if it's that it feeds some bacteria. I think I must not digest it fast enough, and then the bacteria get a chance at it. Glad you posted this, because I think comparing experiences with foods and supplements helps sort out what is going on. I can't eat ground egg shell either. It has some of the same stuff in it as gelatin.
I know this is an old post, but I thought it was relevant to an issue I'm having and may be helpful to others. For the first time, I took Knox gelatin with my ground beef, which gave me an allergic reaction. I sprinkled the gelatin on top of the hot meal and mixed it in. This may have been a big contributor, sprinkling it on top, versus having the gelatin on the side, dissolved. But, the main part of the post I quoted, that got my attention, is the mention of histamines in gelatin. I was not aware of this, but it seems to be true, as I no doubt had/have an allergic reaction -- rash on neck and swollen/sore throat.

I think I'll steer clear of Know gelatin and try Great Lakes. I do take hydrolyzed collagen peptides in the morning, but it's my understanding that I should take gelatin at the same time as the meat that is lacking it. My reasoning for not taking more of the peptides with the meal is simply cost -- collagen peptides aren't cheap.

Any additional insight or suggestions would be appreciated.

BibleBeliever

For the last while I have been consuming about 60-90 grams of gelatin a day. Every few hours I add it to coffee with just a small bit of coconut oil and and some butter; average 15 grams of gelatin per coffee, sometimes more or less. I have sea salt too. I eat it with some berries, maybe an apple and a small piece of dark chocolate. There was sometimes burning in the eyes and maybe slight head pressure. However this would go away when I started having a few grams of taurine daily. Then when I added vitamin k2 gelatin digested even better. I also consume thyroid daily, which speeds up bowel transit, this may also make a difference. I think the key is making sure you digest gelatin quickly.

Before this I used to consume it with digestive issues; slowing it down, feeling like concrete. Maybe having it with anti-estrogenic fibers in the berries, with coffee to speed transit, and butter/coconut oil which are anti-bacterial help negate most of the issues. I have read on these forums that taurine and vitamin k2 help lower excessive glutamate, so perhaps those help as well.

I buy cheap gelatin from the bulk barn. Right now it is about 11.40 a lb. Prior to this I was experimenting with the pork skin method, but a lot of work to try and boil the pufa fat out and the rest; gelatin is much more convenient.

Mossy

For the last while I have been consuming about 60-90 grams of gelatin a day. Every few hours I add it to coffee with just a small bit of coconut oil and and some butter; average 15 grams of gelatin per coffee, sometimes more or less. I have sea salt too. I eat it with some berries, maybe an apple and a small piece of dark chocolate. There was sometimes burning in the eyes and maybe slight head pressure. However this would go away when I started having a few grams of taurine daily. Then when I added vitamin k2 gelatin digested even better. I also consume thyroid daily, which speeds up bowel transit, this may also make a difference. I think the key is making sure you digest gelatin quickly.

Before this I used to consume it with digestive issues; slowing it down, feeling like concrete. Maybe having it with anti-estrogenic fibers in the berries, with coffee to speed transit, and butter/coconut oil which are anti-bacterial help negate most of the issues. I have read on these forums that taurine and vitamin k2 help lower excessive glutamate, so perhaps those help as well.

I buy cheap gelatin from the bulk barn. Right now it is about 11.40 a lb. Prior to this I was experimenting with the pork skin method, but a lot of work to try and boil the pufa fat out and the rest; gelatin is much more convenient.

Thanks for the feedback, JackHanma. Your comments about making sure to digest it quickly could have some relevance. I mention this, because I just started a new brand of peptides and it seems to have completed stopped my digestive system -- feeling like concrete, as you say.

I have been taking K2 daily, but that doesn't seem to help. Or, maybe, I would be in even worse shape, had I not been taking the K2. I'll have to evaluate and see.