Drink Your Milk: The Many Benefits Of Dairy

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Drink Your Milk: The Many Benefits of Dairy.
http://blog.arkofwellness.com/drink-you ... -of-dairy/

I am emphatically pro-dairy. But dairy can be a controversial topic. Some will say milk and dairy are full of hormones, antibiotics and toxins; that dairy is allergenic and hard to digest. But dairy products themselves are none of these things; it’s the tampering and processing of dairy products that is the culprit of these problems. Real, unhampered, dairy products are actually very nourishing and good for the body.
Milk Protein

Milk is make of fat, protein and milk sugar called lactose (more on that later). The protein in cow’s milk is mostly casein, the rest is whey. You may have read my warnings against whey protein powders, but this is different. The process of making the powder lowers the protein content and increases the toxicity. Why consume a toxic whey powered when you can consume whole dairy, the power protein.

Dairy is the cleanest source of protein available in the United States. It’s actually the best protein drink you can buy! In the 1960’s the US went to great lengths to clean up the dairy industry by getting rid of the harmful pesticides sprayed on the grass cows fed from and by controlling the additives put in to the milk supply. The meat industry, on the other hand, has not been as quick to clean up. Dairy is safer than most other foods in terms of pollutants and toxins. Plus it is a complete macronutrient having protein, carbohydrates and fat!
Milk Allergy

There are many publications available that discuss milk or dairy allergy, but these tests have only been performed on a small group of patients and rarely involve subjects who were healthy to begin with. So when someone has a dairy allergy, what is really going on?

Consider this: according to U.S. law, reduced fat milk must have vitamin D and vitamin A added to it. Many of the contaminants in the vitamins themselves are possible sources of allergies to commercial milk, not the milk itself. Whole milk, which many people choose to avoid, is actually the most likely to be allergen free! Carrageenan is also commonly used in milk products as a thickening agent. But carrageenan is a powerful allergen that can cause a reaction similar to latex allergy.

There is also evidence that dairy allergy may actually be a symptom of other bodily inflammation. That is, you may be more likely to experience a dairy allergy if you are already suffering from a different diet-induced inflammation.
Lactose Intolerance

Lactose is the type of sugar found in milk. The body requires a certain enzyme (lactase) to digest and metabolize lactose properly. People who are “lactose intolerant” are deficient in this enzyme. Many people assume that this deficiency is the function of genetics or belonging to one or another ethnic group. But bacterial over growth in the small intestine (often caused by hypothyroidism) can damage the lining of the small intestine and cause the loss of lactase enzymes. Progesterone deficiency will also cause lactase enzyme deficiency. Inflammation in general shifts cell function and causes you to lose many functional enzymes, including the lactase enzyme.

Drinking or eating “lactose free” products is not a good option. Lactose in milk helps the body absorb the calcium properly. Without the lactose, we don’t absorb as much calcium in our bones. If you have experienced symptoms of lactose intolerance, instead of buying lactose free dairy, add dairy in to your diet slowly and avoid drinking milk on an empty stomach. Start with one cup or less at every meal and, after about two weeks, you body will adjust to the new enzymes and your cells will adapt to the new food.
Dairy and Weight Gain

Another reason people give for not drinking milk is that it may lead to weight gain. However, in recent years there have been studies proving just the opposite; milk drinkers are less fat than non-milk drinkers. A 2010 study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition showed that both higher dairy calcium intake and increased vitamin D were related to greater diet-induced weight loss. A similar study in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition found that low dietary calcium intake is a significant risk factor for weight gain in adults.

Why? Because calcium and dairy supplementation facilitates appetite control and the high quality protein and saturated fat found in milk contribute to its anti-obesity effect. Calcium is an all-around good metabolic regulatory.
Calcium reduced the formation of fats in the body, increases the metabolic rate, protects against free radical oxidation and increases longevity.
Dairy helps regulate blood sugar and has anti inflammatory properties and protective hormones like thyroid and progesterone.
Vitamin D, found in dairy, also lowers inflammation which can contribute to a slow metabolic rate. The saturated fat in dairy protects the body as is very important as we grow older; it has a curative effect on the liver an anti-inflammatory effect and an anti-oxidant effect.
Calcium in dietary protein has an anti-stress effect
The Parathyroid Hormone

Dietary calcium dose more than just keep us satiated and at a healthy weight; it helps control the parathyroid hormone (PTH). PTH regulates calcium metabolism. If we do not consume enough calcium via our diet, the blood calcium decreases and the PTH increases. When the PTH increases, it steals calcium from the bones to replenish the amount in the blood. But the dangers of elevated PTH don’t stop with lower calcium, they get much worse! Elevated PTH also causes:
Calcification of tissues
Multiple sclerosis
High blood pressure
Insomnia (eating dairy can help you sleep!)
Hypertension

Plus, low PTH also lowers fatty acid syntheses which lowers the chance of tumors. High PTH and FAS are clearly associated with cancer, including prostate and breast cancer.
Eat The Dairy That Agrees With You Most

I used to only like raw dairy, but now I believe that getting dairy into one’s diet is more important than the “raw or not raw” debate. If you like raw dairy, then go for it! If not, try pasteurized, but search for grass fed, hormone free, organic dairy products. When I work one-on-one with clients I always recommend whatever dairy products and brands agree with them best but, as a general rule of thumb:
Organic dairy is best
Pasteurized dairy is better than ultra high pasteurized dairy
Grass fed dairy is best, but check that the grass is not treated with chemicals
Full fat (whole) dairy is better than partially skimmed dairy

If someone hasn’t consumed dairy in a while, then I recommend they go slow to build up the enzymes needed to digest diary. Some people may not feel well on cow dairy but may fair must better on goat or buffalo dairy. Sometimes the trouble with cow dairy is the whey, other times it’s the bacteria. Often times, switching the brand will solve the problem. If not, try cheese; ricotta, mozzarella, and Parmigiano Reggiano do not have the cultures that some people are sensitive to. Just make sure the cheese is not “processed.”

One great resource I found recently is called http://www.whereismymilkfrom.com. You type in the code from your milk and it will tell you which dairy it came from. It even works for other dairy products other than milk.

gretchen

I stopped drinking milk in 1990 as a freshman in college and went on to have many miserable years (lol) dairy-free. I really bought in to the entire anti-dairy argument. It is breathtaking to me now to think of all the needless suffering.

montmorency

Those added vitamins (with possible contaminants) are one thing that stops me buying reduced fat milk.

I know Ray likes his skimmed milk, but I have to part company with him on that one.

Unfortunately, it means I have to drink less of it.

I can't get raw milk, but I can get unhomogenised milk, which is a step in the right direction.

Mittir

montmorency said:
Those added vitamins (with possible contaminants) are one thing that stops me buying reduced fat milk. I know Ray likes his skimmed milk, but I have to part company with him on that one.

Ray Peat consumes about 2 quarts of 2 percent milk .
His idea is to restrict calories. He does not have anything against whole milk.
He knows very well that added vitamin in skimmed milk can cause allergic reaction.
Ray Peat has about 100 articles and hours of audio interviews. You can check out his
exact position on things before you decide to part company with him.

People who have told me that they have had digestive problems with milk have sometimes found that a different brand of milk doesn't cause any problem.

Milk with reduced fat content is required by US law to have vitamins D and A added. The vehicle used in the vitamin preparation, and the industrial contaminants in the “pure” vitamins themselves, are possible sources of allergens in commercial milk, so whole milk is the most likely to be free of allergens.
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/milk.shtml

montmorency

Mittir said:
montmorency said:
Those added vitamins (with possible contaminants) are one thing that stops me buying reduced fat milk. I know Ray likes his skimmed milk, but I have to part company with him on that one.

He knows very well that added vitamin in skimmed milk can cause allergic reaction.
Ray Peat has about 100 articles and hours of audio interviews. You can check out his

People who have told me that they have had digestive problems with milk have sometimes found that a different brand of milk doesn't cause any problem.

Milk with reduced fat content is required by US law to have vitamins D and A added. The vehicle used in the vitamin preparation, and the industrial contaminants in the “pure” vitamins themselves, are possible sources of allergens in commercial milk, so whole milk is the most likely to be free of allergens.

Thanks Mittir.

Yes, I knew it was about calories, and I have indeed listened to many of his interviews and read (I think) every single article on his website (I discovered Ray quite a long time before discovering this forum).

I expressed myself badly, perhaps. Of course I'm not parting company with Ray in a more general sense. I'm simply not following his example on that particular point.

Thank you for your concern.

dukez07

Mittir said:
montmorency said:

Ray Peat restricts calories? That's good for metabolism?

Dan W

I think Mittir means calorie-restriction in the context choosing which milk to spend the day drinking, not in the sense of actively counting calories or "overriding" appetite.

dukez07

Dan Wich said:
I think Mittir means calorie-restriction in the context choosing which milk to spend the day drinking, not in the sense of actively counting calories or "overriding" appetite.

Hmmm. I guess you're right. I wonder how many calories he consumes, though? Lets say he drinks 3 quarts of skimmed milk (as I do). That's barely a 1000 calories, and about 90g of protein. He wants fat super low. Ok. So where does he get the rest of his calories from? Remember, he says that he only takes in 450g of carbs each day. He'll have already taken in 90-100g of carbs through the milk sugars. Hmmm, it baffles the mind! This is basically the issue that I've had since starting the diet. If you consume 3 quarts of milk as a base for your day (healthy, good calcium/phosphorus ratio, nutritious, low in fat, etc), that's an awful lot of liquid. What do you do now? Just add sugar? Or pile in lots of OJ (liquid overload). Considering a quart of OJ is about 500 calories, if you are going to go super low fat on this diet, it's basically impossible to go past 2000-2500 calories for the day. Unless you were to dump tablespoons of sugar into your milk and OJ - to the point where the calorific intake bumps up considerably.

The reason this bothers me, is because I would love to live on the optimal Peat diet, but, the more I push up my metabolic rate, the greater my hunger becomes. I need at least 3,000-4,000 calories per day and you definitely cannot do that without fat. That's what I've found, anyway. And of course, once fat comes back in - so do PUFAs. 3 quarts of whole milk per day, brings you a nice 2,000 calories, but, also brings in 7-8g of PUFA.

Who knows. Maybe I'll work this diet out one day.

jyb

I'm not sure if calories is a good metric. If you optimize sugar to fat ratio, you will bring down "calories". I think RP might have chosen skimmed to reduce pufa or to optimize energy to fat ratio.

Dizzy45

I've switched to 1 percent from skim. I think is taste much more flavorful. Before bed, I have at least 2, 10oz cups of milk, each with 2-3 tbsp of raw sugar, a hefty pinch of salt, and a scoop of gelatin. It tastes SO GOOD and has become part of my night-time routine. Besides tasting yummy, I sleep more soundly and believe to have lost some body fat. I can tell milk helps stimulate recovery.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I've switched to 1 percent from skim. I think is taste much more flavorful. Before bed, I have at least 2, 10oz cups of milk, each with 2-3 tbsp of raw sugar, a hefty pinch of salt, and a scoop of gelatin. It tastes SO GOOD and has become part of my night-time routine. Besides tasting yummy, I sleep more soundly and believe to have lost some body fat. I can tell milk helps stimulate recovery.
I settled in on 1% too(adding salt of course) but eventually made the switch from sugar to local raw honey. :drool

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

uthman

HIgh in the uk you can get a2 milk ive been using it for 3 months now and i find it much better than usual a1 milk.
The protien is diffrent in a2 than a1 i recommend it i use to suffer from asthma with a2 its much less a problem.

cyclops

Holy Cow, milk actually has a ton of flavor. Been drinking regular homogenized, pasteurized organic milk for a long time...it's whatever. But I just picked up an Unhomogenized, Grass-fed SKIM milk and it is super delicious . It has so much flavor I cannot even use it in coffee because just a bit overpowers it and I can't taste the coffee. Mind you this is still pasteurized milk and it is skim too. I actually thought they made a mistake and put whole milk because it is that tasty. Only downside is the price.

Kunder

Been drinking lactose free milk for a few weeks to see if i get any relief from eczema. I didn't. But going back to regular lactose milk sure is hard after that. The lactose-free one tastes like a milkshake, due to the lactose being broken down to glucose. People i offered it to to taste it were shocked that the amount of carbs in both is identical.

cyclops

Been drinking lactose free milk for a few weeks to see if i get any relief from eczema. I didn't. But going back to regular lactose milk sure is hard after that. The lactose-free one tastes like a milkshake, due to the lactose being broken down to glucose. People i offered it to to taste it were shocked that the amount of carbs in both is identical.

Interesting. Why are you going back to reg milk? Is there any downside to lactose free milk?

Kunder

Interesting. Why are you going back to reg milk? Is there any downside to lactose free milk?

1. I can't get organic pastured in a lactose-free version.

2. It is good to challenge your organism with lactose at least once in a while so that it doesn't forget how to produce lactase.

3. Lactose-free milk has somewhat lower calcium bioavailability. Peat has raved about lactose and calcium combo, though in a study I saw, the difference in calcium absorbtion was not that substantial.

nbznj

Interesting take on the lactose free products. I am unsure of what's best for me when drinking a high amount of milk /day (2 quarts is quite a lot by society's standard)

so I went for full fat goat milk (one quart in the AM) and lactose free 1% chocolate milk which is great during and after a workout (one quart in the PM). So far so good

Palpatine

As a younger person, I was never really a fan of milk... unless it was in my Fruity Pebbles.

Now that I'm older, I really enjoy whole milk. Organic, preferably grass-fed, but it's gotta be whole milk. I live in SoCal and there are plenty of different brands to choose from, even Raw (but a recent documentary on Netflix has me a bit concerned with that... and I have young kids).

I drink a glass here and there... but am really trying to make a habit of drinking right before I go to sleep... which I initially thought was going to make my problem of getting up at 3-4am to go pee, worse... but actually sometimes I sleep straight through the night now. Amazing.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals