Ray Peat Potato Protein Soup (RPPPS)

jyb

I made the RPPPS and it tasted nice. Is the finished boiled product supposed to be a clear liquid, or is there supposed to be some white in it, sort of sediment? I'm guessing that's starch but not sure, I've strained it a lot already.

Loads of sediment. I wouldn't bother straining - after a day you will see the sediment solidifying at the bottom, so you can easily scoop up servings while leaving the sediments alone.

How are you supposed to eat the potato protein soup, does it need to be treated as a "protein" meal and balanced with carbs accordingly, or is it fine to eat on its own? Also, how much of the potato protein soup have people eaten per day?

It is an easy to use fuel so conceptually I don't see why something else would be absolutely required. But I don't believe protein from food sources causes low blood sugar issues unless one has specific metabolic problems, so I don't have this kind of concern... In this case it's not really food as its unusually concentrated in ketones and those are said to be insulin stimulating, but do people really get low blood issues from say coconut oil?

Last edited:

theLaw

How are you supposed to eat the potato protein soup, does it need to be treated as a "protein" meal and balanced with carbs accordingly, or is it fine to eat on its own? Also, how much of the potato protein soup have people eaten per day?

So there are 3 different "optimal" protein sources discussed outside of the standard Peat recommended foods.

1. Potato Soup (Juice/scramble)

2. Gelatin

3. BCAAs

From my understanding the Potato Juice is best used in the short term for those who are very ill, or those with serious digestive issues.

Gelatin can be used regularly for most of a person's daily protein (I think of this as Peat's version of Protein Powder).

BCAA's appear to be best used to optimize digestion and assimilation of protein with a further focus on lowering non-essential Amino Acids. I think of this as increasing digestive efficiency while increasing metabolism.

Regarding your question, I prefer to have it with honey or sugar as it's pretty unappealing by itself, but I've also had it plain without any blood sugar issues (around 5lb of potatoes juiced and cooked). Also, I think the scramble that Peat is referring to is cooking it quickly like an egg, but I've never heard him explain it in detail. :cool:

Last edited:

Mossy

So there are 3 different "optimal" protein sources discussed outside of the standard Peat recommended foods.
Ok, so as an "optimal" protein, does potato soap circumvent the standard meat or dairy protein-to-carb ratios?

Also, would be interesting to know how others are logging this in cronometer, or elsewhere, if they are -- the nutritional values.

Mossy

Haha...I just noticed my typo, potato "soap". I'm not able to edit, but I definitely meant soup.

As for boiling the potatoes first, would that potentially allow more or less starch to remain?

tara

how about boiling potatoes first and then peeling, much easier to peel. then juice??
If you boil the potatoes first you gelatinise the starch, and then I don't think it is easy to separate it out. Since separating out the starch is main the point of the exercise with potato juice, it's not going to give you the same effect.

But if you don't have a problem with starch, you can boil and eat potatoes and drink the water they are cooked in.

movebetter

Yes i tried it and it did not work. I tried to the pealed uncooked juice and it made a fluid that also made some spidery solids when cooked. are you supposed to strain those out? and what is the point of it? do you get the protein this way but isn't it just and good and easier to drink milk or use collagen? seems like a lot of work and expense for just a little liquid.

movebetter

i just juiced 5 lbs of red potatoes. put the liquid in a pan and cooked for 30 minuets. scooped whatever sticky stuff formed and got about 8 oz of liquid. is that right? Seems like so little and am i getting equivalent of 2 qts of milk protein as Ray Peat says? 2 lbs of potatoes= 1 qt of milk protein = 40g. so if all the protein were to be in the liquid 1 cup would = 80g! 5lbs of organic potatoes cost me $11

O

oldfriend

Been taking it for a few days, just a cup or two mixed with some kind of food, and pretty sure it's the reason I'm backed up right now. Anybody else get constipated on this juice?

walker_in_aus

I made this last night, juiced the potatos, let it settle, cooked for 40 mins. HEated some up for breakfast... It doesn't taste that great but I put in some salt and drank a cup. It had some lumpy bits in it... unpleasant. Tastes mineral-like. Combined with salt, almost like blood. :neutral: Not a huge fan so far, but my tummy is sad so hopefully it helps!

thetaflow

Bump: Anyone trying this recently?

From my understanding, this can replace animal proteins for someone with digestive issues, and train the body to break down animal foods more efficiently?

Mossy

Bump: Anyone trying this recently?

From my understanding, this can replace animal proteins for someone with digestive issues, and train the body to break down animal foods more efficiently?
From a relatively short stint of using potato juice, several years back, I felt it was never substantial enough to replace animal protein. It never satiated my appetite or brought the satisfaction that animal protein did. I realize when you’re sick you sometimes make compromises in an attempt to get better, so I’m not knocking this juice, just sharing my experience. All in all, It feels that this juice was not a negative or positive for me. Though, there’s always the chance it helped more than I realized.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals