Tinea Versicolor Treatment

Warrior_

Hi there,

I have Tinea Versicolor, which is basically a overgrowth of yeast, which naturally lives on the skin, and under normal conditions doesn´t cause any problems.

Tinea Versicolor

In my case now it´s rather mild, but you can still see some discoloration on my stomach and in the middle of my back (white patches).
It doesn´t itch, it doesn´t really grow. It just stays the same, and its only a "cosmetic" problem.
However it still affects me mentally sometimes.

There is no relation to systemic fungal infection (at least I am not aware of any studys), and so it´s an external - only condition.

In general I feel very good, I am a very active person (professional athlete), my metabolism is quite good, my stress hormones are low (I´m using niacinamide, collagen (glycine), aspirin etc. regularly)

I´ve tried several different natural treatments (soaps, sprays etc.) and high-dose niacinamide (as recommended on the forum / by Haidut), but the condition, discoloration/hypopigmention is still there.

The cause for this, in my case is probably genetic, as my grandmother, mum, and brother also have the same condition. Also I am a pretty heavy sweater.

However, I like to get rid of this condition completely, and at best without the use of side-effect loaded chemical antifungals (shampoos).

I´ve asked Haidut about it and his response was:

Increased levels of NO and estrogen are probably involved in this fungal condition. As such, niacinamide and/or methylene blue (MB) would the first things I'd try. I would try them both orally first, MB in doses of 1mg daily and niacinamide 500mg x 3 daily. Also, making a topical solution with niacinamide, aspirin and caffeine should help even more when combined with the oral treatments.
Finally, since reducing estrogen is important for keeping fungal growth at bay, things like vitamin E, aspirin, progesterone, gelatin, magnesium and even zinc should help lower excessive estrogen and reduce fungal growth.

Great points! But, I am taking niacinamide daily. I´ve also tried higher dosages. And I´ve used Solban, and Niaserum (Niacinamide Serum) externally for about 2 weeks without any improvement.

So PeatCommunity, what would you recommend me to try, and how I could fix this condition? :):

Thanks!

OP
W

Warrior_

Thank you. I will definitely check the information about red light therapy.

What was your experience with the sulfur soap? It should help (as of Ray, and Amazon customer reviews), but the smell can be quite harsh, and it stays on your body.

I need to cover a bigger area, so the methylene blue is not an option for topical application.

OP
W

Warrior_

@tankasnowgod the yeast feeds upon the oils from the skin, so coconut oil is not the best option, and could possibly even make it grow.

OP
W

Warrior_

Does anyone have experience or success with topical application of ´flowers of Sulfur´ (powder) in treating tinea conditions?

bcopeland

Hi Warrior,

I suffered from tinea versicolor for 2 decades, it would come and go. White patches on chest and back mainly.

What really wiped it out was Selson Blue mixed with baking soda. I just kept both in the bathroom and would apply them before bed and sleep with it on. I also would apply it before showering and let it sit as long as I could. Took maybe a couple of weeks of twice per day use. Then you have to get a tan to see the new color come in.

I also lately had a red patch which is also supposed to be tinea versicolor. I put a dab of pure tea tree oil on it 3 times and it is GONE.

If you don't mind the smell I think tea tree oil might work faster.

Good luck,
Brian

OP
W

Warrior_

Hi Warrior,

I suffered from tinea versicolor for 2 decades, it would come and go. White patches on chest and back mainly.

What really wiped it out was Selson Blue mixed with baking soda. I just kept both in the bathroom and would apply them before bed and sleep with it on. I also would apply it before showering and let it sit as long as I could. Took maybe a couple of weeks of twice per day use. Then you have to get a tan to see the new color come in.

I also lately had a red patch which is also supposed to be tinea versicolor. I put a dab of pure tea tree oil on it 3 times and it is GONE.

If you don't mind the smell I think tea tree oil might work faster.

Good luck,
Brian

Brian,
I am concerned about possible side-effects when using selsun blue. Would you consider it as safe?

I´ve used "natural" soaps with various essential oils (tea tree as well) with some success. Also oregano oil, applied topically is very good.

However, lately its sunny here, I get a tan, and the (white) spots are fading / changing color, to normal.

So sunshine is definitely helping. Probably I just need to have regular sun exposure to get the skin to an even tone.

As the sun is helping, I am going to try red light therapy for complete treatment.

bcopeland

Warrior, my understanding is that tinea versicolor (a fungus or yeast) prevents melanocites from producing melanin. In other words you can't get a tan. So if you are able to get a tan on those spots that means that the tinea has calmed down and you are back to normal.

As far as Selson Blue being bad for you, since it isn't something you will do as a normal daily routine but just on those spots (and around them) until the tinea goes away... I wouldn't worry about it. But of course you could always just go the safe route and use the tea tree oil and possibly the oregano oil instead.

Just remember that everyone has tinea versicolor, it is part of your normal skin flora. We are born with it. When we see it that means it has grown out of control. So you take care of it now, find out what works. If it pops up in the future you will know how to get rid of it again.

Brian

OP
W

Warrior_

bcopeland, yeah you are right about, that tinea versicolor prevents the production of melanin, so I think the tinea has definitely calmed down, as I can get a tan.

I am close, but still not fully back to normal though. Probably it requires more tanning / sun exposure. Also I am using pure / natural Aloe Vera Gel (other ingredients are citric acid, ascorbic acid, salycilic acid etc., which are also very good to kill yeast/fungus) and this seems to help also, the rest of the white patches on my stomach seem to dry out, and die off.

Thanks for help!

tara

Have you tried slopping dilute vinegar on it after your shower? Skin likes to be slightly acid, and a lot of fungii don't. I've not had tinea versicolour that I know of, but I had another fungal skin infection dealt to with just plain white vinegar.

OP
W

Warrior_

Tara,
I´ve tried apple cider vinegar, but only 1-2 times / days, as I didn´t like the smell haha. So I can´t say, if it helps. I don´t have any experience with white vinegar though.

A. squamosa

Hey I've had this. I just went to a GP and they prescribed me some topical stuff that cleared it all up. After that it reoccured, but Haidut's SolBan cleared it up. It does occasionally still reoccur, but the SolBan sorts it out.

tara

I´ve tried apple cider vinegar, but only 1-2 times / days, as I didn´t like the smell haha. So I can´t say, if it helps. I don´t have any experience with white vinegar though.
If the smell puts you off, you could try slopping a little on neat before the end of your shower, let it sit for a minute, and rinse it off so it doesn't linger into the day? As far as I know any kind of vinegar should have similar effects if it's going to have any. I know vinegar can have some antifungal effect, but I don't know if it is strong enough to be effective against your specific one.

OP
W

Warrior_

Hey I've had this. I just went to a GP and they prescribed me some topical stuff that cleared it all up. After that it reoccured, but Haidut's SolBan cleared it up. It does occasionally still reoccur, but the SolBan sorts it out.

Great to hear that. I have used SolBan (not the one by Haidut, but the exact same formula, made by a local pharmacie), with very little to no effect. Mhmm, maybe I should have to use it more often, and for a longer time.

How often do you apply it per day, and how many sprays?

A. squamosa

Perhaps yours is more aggressive somehow. I only had a few small patches. I sprayed it once with SolBan, after a few days the patches faded to nothing. I only used the SolBan after I'd used the GP provided stuff though - have you been to your GP? Mine got me to use this gross gel, but it worked: Pevaryl foaming solution.

OP
W

Warrior_

Mine is almost not visible anymore, but for me there is still some mild discoloration, mainly on the stomach area.
So it doesn´t bother me too much / at all.
However it would be great to get completely rid of it, and have even colored skin everywhere.
Maybe it could also just take some more time, and more sunshine to get it even all over. I believe skin takes a while to recover.

Epi Pevaryl Solution is the stuff the doctors usually prescribe here as well. I never used it though. Never used any of the pharma stuff.
But it should work, as it worked in your case too. People have success with it, by testimonials / reviews. Also if you just have to use it a few days, side effects would probably be minimal!?

So anyway, if I want to get completely rid of it, maybe I have to use the solution once for a few days, and if it reoccurs, than there is SolBan and all the other natural things.

Then after full treatment, it could also be possible that it doesn´t reoccur, as I now have very good metabolism, estrogen/stress is low, and I am using the supplements like niacinamide etc. (see initial post) which should also help.

Lets see, I will continue to tan, and also start using Redlight soon. First I´ll try any natural way possible.

So let´s see :):

A. squamosa

I didn't experience side effects, and seeing as its only necessary to use for a short period of time I don't think any potential negative consequences will be excessive or long-lived. But that's just my personal experience - I totally understand the desire to remain as natural as possible and not involve pharmaceuticals, I share it :) but I think occasionally it's helpful and benign :)

Djukami

Joseph Cohen from Selfhacked says that he gets tinea versicolor when he eats eggs. Don't ask me what could be the possible correlation to it, but he can 'heal' just by not eating eggs.

Last edited:
OP
W

Warrior_

@Djukami I did not find out a correlation between not eating eggs, and not having tinea versicolor yet.

However, I checked out the Selfhacked website and searched for tinea versicolor.

There seems to be a correlation with increased IL-6 (Interleukin-6) levels.

"IL-6 can also cause skin problems. When your natural skin fungus gets out of control the body attacks it with cytokines that include IL-6 (also IL-1b, TNF, IL-8), which recruits other aspects of the immune system (R). IL-6 is elevated in people with tinea versicolor, a skin fungus (R). IL-6 also increases Th22 cells, which disrupts skin microbial balance (R)."

..So maybe one with TV / Skin fungus overgrowth should focus on inhibiting Interleukin-6 or at least lowering it!?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals