Neonatal Hypothyroidism Due To Mothers VEGAN Diet

Travis

From Medscape:

Almost 60,000 instances of vitamin toxicity are reported annually to US poison control centers. [...] Iron-containing vitamins are the most toxic, especially in pediatric acute ingestions.

Jennifer

Keeping my carbs as mainly fruit has being a huge help to me also, starch definitely slows me down,I know the starch sources Peat mentions are not so bad when thyroid is doing ok but they still must require more energy to process,this is more notciable when hypo.
I don't get the fuss about getting carbs from mainly fruit on here,I think people may still be overeating carbs imo,overeating fruit may leave you feeling uncomfortable but with the right amount I'm not so sure that's the case.

How do you manage to keep your protein up while being fruitarian/ vegan?
Yeah, starch slows me down, too. Fruit only causes me an issue if I go too low in fat (only eating juicy fruits) for too long. This leaves me feeling off somehow. It's as if my energy is too high and I lack grounding, if that makes sense? Young Thai coconut meat or the occasional Caribbean avocado (low oil variety) or raw olives help keep me feeling balanced and my skin clear and really soft.

Honestly, I no longer worry about protein. After dropping the last of the animal products (eggs) from my diet, my main protein source was immature potatoes, then I switched to potato juice and finally fruit, and my protein and liver numbers are all normal. I'm small, but this is true for any way of eating I've done. My weight always settles around 99lbs. whether eating all fruit or all dairy, high fat or low-fat. For me, it just comes down to calories. As long as I keep them up, the muscle stays on.

I used to think a fruit-based vegan diet left a person emaciated, but I now believe that's mostly due to malabsorption, low calorie intake and/or the type of person the diet often attracts - endurance athletes versus bodybuilders. A few of the raw, fruit-based guys I follow on YouTube look really good - strong and healthy. The majority of them strength train. If I was concerned about getting enough protein or was a large, muscular guy, baby greens, mushrooms, sprouts (pea and lentil) and potato juice would be my protein staples on a vegan diet.

Jennifer

Zinc is worth mentioning. On the cronometer, I get about 80% zinc on a given day. This can of course be raised with high-zinc pumpkin and sunflower seeds, but that would be a good dose of PUFA.

Putting the boot on the other foot: how many non-vegans get over 100% magnesium, potassium, and vitamin K?

CRON-O-Meter: Track nutrition & count calories
A lot of herbs and spices are high in zinc such as dried chervil, cardamom, yellow mustard seed, thyme, basil, parsley, cilantro, ginger, sage and cumin, as well as cocoa, shiitake mushrooms, masa harina, and maple syrup (particularly the darkest grade).

I just checked and I get over the RDA of zinc because of the herbal concentrate I make. It's similar to Ray's magnesium supplement from boiled kale. You can also brew roasted cocoa beans. Back when I wasn't avoiding stimulants, I drank this brand:

Crio Bru

Lucenzo01

Drareg was triggered from what I said here so he posted this.

Again, more non vegan babies die than vegan ones. Means nothing. True vegans are extremely rare. These studies prove nothing and they have nothing to do with maximizing longevity in adults. b12 is not a vegan issue, it's an intrinsic factor issue. What people who identify as "vegan" say or do means nothing to me because I'm not interested in ethics or saving the world or animals, I'm interested in maximizing health and longevity. If my conclusion of that interest happens to include many foods that people who call themselves vegan also consume then good for them, I really don't care. The fact is there is only one diet that has been proven to reverse heart disease clinically. A no oil, low fat, high starch with some fruit and cooked greens vegan diet. I couldn't care less about what crazy people do or say in cringe compilations. That's not clinical nutrition science, those are idiots, libtards and social justice warriors. Vegan bashing is so easy. It's novice. Who cares about nut jobs, I'm interested in nutrition and objective science. The fact is heart disease and cancer are the top killers and that isn't happening because everyone is eating a vegan diet.

Peat thinks it's possible to be a healthy vegan:

Peat's Surprising Response To My Email. A "Ray Peat Vegan" Is Possible

B12, niacin, iron, calcium, satured fats, quality and quantity of protein, vitamin A, K2, taurine, lysine...vegans would have problems with all this at least. You can survive with a vegan diet but will not thrive.

nikolabeacon

What I think about vitamin A is that it's the must toxic vitamin.

It acts almost like a hormone. It binds with the nuclear retinol X receptor, goes straight inot the cell's nucleus, and upregualtes certain DNA-RNA transcription strands. Vitamin A increases bone and skin turnover.

The carotene cleavage enzyme splits β-carotene into two retinol (or retinaldehyde) molecules in the intestine. This is regulated, and a deficiency in vitamin A will increases the carotene cleavage enzyme.

I just checked the cronometer. A pound of kale has 1500% RDA for Vitamin A.

I think vitamin A is the last thing a vegan should worry about. It's only a problem when people eat mostly rice or mostly grains.

Zinc is worth mentioning. On the cronometer, I get about 80% zinc on a given day. This can of course be raised with high-zinc pumpkin and sunflower seeds, but that would be a good dose of PUFA.

Putting the boot on the other foot: how many non-vegans get over 100% magnesium, potassium, and vitamin K?

Ok. Thank you for the reply. So that cleavage enzyme is acting independently and doesn't require anything speciffic other than that vit A deficient state?

Yes it acts like a hormone like vit D but isn't every nutrient capable of acting like a hormone?

Ok I agree and do not necessarily believe that being non- vegan means that you will not have deficiencies and health problems esspecially because majority of people are eating a very poor diets. Who knows maybe with more research at the end it could turn out that vegans with right choices of foods will be closer to a more protective way of eating.

OP
Drareg

Drareg

Yeah, starch slows me down, too. Fruit only causes me an issue if I go too low in fat (only eating juicy fruits) for too long. This leaves me feeling off somehow. It's as if my energy is too high and I lack grounding, if that makes sense? Young Thai coconut meat or the occasional Caribbean avocado (low oil variety) or raw olives help keep me feeling balanced and my skin clear and really soft.

Honestly, I no longer worry about protein. After dropping the last of the animal products (eggs) from my diet, my main protein source was immature potatoes, then I switched to potato juice and finally fruit, and my protein and liver numbers are all normal. I'm small, but this is true for any way of eating I've done. My weight always settles around 99lbs. whether eating all fruit or all dairy, high fat or low-fat. For me, it just comes down to calories. As long as I keep them up, the muscle stays on.

I used to think a fruit-based vegan diet left a person emaciated, but I now believe that's mostly due to malabsorption, low calorie intake and/or the type of person the diet often attracts - endurance athletes versus bodybuilders. A few of the raw, fruit-based guys I follow on YouTube look really good - strong and healthy. The majority of them strength train. If I was concerned about getting enough protein or was a large, muscular guy, baby greens, mushrooms, sprouts (pea and lentil) and potato juice would be my protein staples on a vegan diet.

Sounds like a decent diet,minerals an issue maybe but the herbs and cocoa beans are interesting.
Do you know how much protein is in potato juice per 100 ml ?

Travis

B12, niacin, iron, calcium, satured fats, quality and quantity of protein, vitamin A, K2, taurine, lysine...vegans would have problems with all this at least. You can survive with a vegan diet but will not thrive.

•B12
This is the only one that deserves to be on this list IMO.

•niacin
The highest beef has is 170 ppm, peanuts have 160 ppm (by weight). I every time I have ever used the cronometer I have exceeded 100% for niacin.

•iron
This is a Ray Peat site. Getting under the RDA for iron should be considered laudatory.

•calcium
You have to eat leaves. Easy to exceed 100% if you eat leaves.

•satured fats
I eat whole coconuts. I get them for $1.39.

•quality and quantity of protein
All of the balance studies that I read (about three), all show nitrogen balance at around 35 grams per day. This is easy.

•vitamin A
I just did a search and found a study called Influence of vegetarian and mixed nutrition on selected haematological and biochemical parameters in children.
vegan 1.png

The vegetarians have more retinol and β-carotene.

•K2

This may be true, but vegans would tend to have more K₁ which can be converted into K₂ in the lungs, testes, and arterial wall.

•taurine
...is biosynthesized from cysteine.

•lysine
I just did a search and found a study called Amino Acid Composition of Leaf Protein Concentrates. Towards the bottom, you will see how it compares to foods such as milk and eggs:
vegan2.png

vegan3.png

Leaf protein is well-balanced. Ray Peat speaks of leaf protein in his article Milk in context: allergies, ecology, and some myths.

The amino acid composition and nutritional value of leaf protein is similar to milk protein, which is understandable since cows produce milk from the amino acids produced in their rumens by bacteria digesting the leaves the cows have eaten.
–Ray Peat PhD

Here is another chart from the study on the blood parameters of vegetarian children, showing higher serum vitamin C, vitamin E, and vitamin A levels.
vegan4.png

Influence of vegetarian and mixed nutrition on selected haematological and biochemical parameters in children.

Last edited:

Travis

Ok. Thank you for the reply. So that cleavage enzyme is acting independently and doesn't require anything speciffic other than that vit A deficient state?
Yes. In a low vitamin A condition it will cleave more carotenes.

Yes it acts like a hormone like vit D but isn't every nutrient capable of acting like a hormone?
Well, vitamin A (as retinoic acid) and vitamin D (as calcitriol) have nuclear receptors. These are proteins within the nucleus of the cell with zinc fingers that bind directly to DNA. Thyroid hormone also has a nuclear receptor, and they exist in pairs.

RAR = retinoic acid receptor
RXR = retinoid X receptor
VDR = vitamin D receptor
TR = thyroid receptor
LXR = liver X receptor

They exist as heterodimers to RXR.

RXR–RAR
RXR–VDR
RXR–TR
RXR–LXR

And are found clamped to DNA. I'll see if I can find a good illustration...
nsmb.2778-F1.jpg

Structure of the retinoid X receptor liver X receptor (RXR–LXR) heterodimer on DNA

To understand the organization of LXR [liver X receptor] transcription complexes, we crystallized an RXR–LXR heterodimer bound to a consensus DR-4 element [piece of DNA] with agonist ligands and a peptide from nuclear receptor coactivator 2 (N-CoA2).

Retinoid X receptor is the most common nuclear receptor and is found connected to RAR, VDR, TR, and LXR.

So vitamin D can influence RNA expression directly. Along with parathyroid hormone (PTH), it also helps to maintain blood calcium and phosphate levels. The article Vitamins as Hormones is exclusively about vitamins A and D. Here is the 'table of contents' from that article.

Table of Contents

Ok I agree and do not necessarily believe that being non- vegan means that you will not have deficiencies and health problems esspecially because majority of people are eating a very poor diets. Who knows maybe with more research at the end it could turn out that vegans with right choices of foods will be closer to a more protective way of eating.
I bet there is enough research already done on this. Just get Sci-Hub and you can read nearly every article in print.

Last edited:

Jennifer

Sounds like a decent diet,minerals an issue maybe but the herbs and cocoa beans are interesting.
Do you know how much protein is in potato juice per 100 ml ?
In the Acidity and Alkalinity Herb Doctors' interview, Ray said that potato is 106% the protein quality of egg yolk and that when eating the starch, too, a liter of potato is like a liter of milk, on average. He went on to say that potato juice is like eating pure egg yolk. So I'd say 100 ml of potato juice has at least as much protein as 100 ml of milk.

Acidity and Alkalinity interview:
Acidity and Alkalinity

EIRE24

What I think about vitamin A is that it's the must toxic vitamin.

It acts almost like a hormone. It binds with the nuclear retinol X receptor, goes straight inot the cell's nucleus, and upregualtes certain DNA-RNA transcription strands. Vitamin A increases bone and skin turnover.

The carotene cleavage enzyme splits β-carotene into two retinol (or retinaldehyde) molecules in the intestine. This is regulated, and a deficiency in vitamin A will increases the carotene cleavage enzyme.

I just checked the cronometer. A pound of kale has 1500% RDA for Vitamin A.

I think vitamin A is the last thing a vegan should worry about. It's only a problem when people eat mostly rice or mostly grains.

You say vitamin A increases bone and skin turnover. I would agree with this but can you explain how this would help someone with acne or skin issues? I get a lot of dead skin that clogs the pores and I always suspected that vitamin A makes me shed more hence more clogged pores and acne?

tara

But humans and in general mammals are not meant to be vegan, right?
Lots of mammals are obligate herbivores after weaning.
Humans are not herbivores though.

nikolabeacon

You say vitamin A increases bone and skin turnover. I would agree with this but can you explain how this would help someone with acne or skin issues? I get a lot of dead skin that clogs the pores and I always suspected that vitamin A makes me shed more hence more clogged pores and acne?

Maybe you need more vit D ? Read that link by Travis..it contains some interesting info about skin

I didnt get an impression that Vit A is that toxic.

Read parts 6,7 ,14 and 15.

Retinoids regulate proliferation and differentiation of skin epithelial cells towards a homeostatic.
Retinoids promote cell proliferation in normal epidermis by shortening the mitotic phase of cell cycle, but act towards normalization in hyperproliferative epithelia. Proliferation of rapidly proliferating keratinocytes, such as psoriatic ones, is down-regulated by retinoids. In vitro, atRA was shown to either stimulate or inhibit epidermal keratinocyte proliferation, depending on the growth-culture conditions.

Parallel to these effects, retinoids alter terminal keratinocyte differentiation towards a metaplastic, non-keratinizing, mucosa-like epithelium, whereas the glycosylation pattern of normal skin treated with atRA resembles that of a mucosal epithelium, with reduction of tonofilaments, decreased cohesiveness of the stratum corneum, impaired function of the permeability barrier, and increased transepidermal water loss, causing the keratolytic effect of retinoids in hyperkeratotic disorders. In contrast, oral and topical retinoids stimulate terminal differentiation of human epidermal cells, e.g., in the psoriatic plaque

Co-medication with tetracyclines (cranial hypertension) and high doses of aspirin (potentation of mucosal damage) should be avoided. The mucocutaneous adverse effects of oral retinoids include skin and mucosal dryness (xerosis, cheilitis, conjuctivitis, urethritis), skin fragility and/or stickiness, retinoid dermatitis, palmoplantar desquamation, pruritus, and hair loss.

]. Consequently, vitamin D analogues are effective in the treatment of the hyperproliferative skin disease psoriasis. Immunohistochemical and biochemical analysis have demonstrated profound antiproliferative and differentiation-inducing effects in epidermal keratinocytes of lesional psoriatic skin along with treatment with vitamin D analogues in vivo.

At present, a connection between vitamin D and pathogenesis of atopic dermatitis is discussed. Epidemiologic studies have demonstrated that patients with atopic dermatitis have a lower vitamin D intake as compared to controls.

Last edited:

Travis

In a simple experiment, a researcher at UCLA dyed the skin on hairless rats and measured the time it took for it to disappear. A quick-and-easy way to measure skin turnover.
Stratum corneum turnover Stratum corneum turnover was measured by a dye elimination technique. Dansyl chloride (0.1 ml 1% solution in acetone) was applied to the dorsal skin 1 hour prior to treatment with retinold. The mice were observed dally under a Woods light to find the time (days) to disappearance of fluorescence.
And here is the data:
chart.png

(Reprinted without permission from RETINOID STIMULATION OF EPIDERMAL DIFFERENTIATION IN VIVO)
(The arotinoids are synthetic retinoids.)

OP
Drareg

Drareg

In the Acidity and Alkalinity Herb Doctors' interview, Ray said that potato is 106% the protein quality of egg yolk and that when eating the starch, too, a liter of potato is like a liter of milk, on average. He went on to say that potato juice is like eating pure egg yolk. So I'd say 100 ml of potato juice has at least as much protein as 100 ml of milk.

Acidity and Alkalinity interview:
Acidity and Alkalinity

Thanks this is a great reminder,potato juice possibly the ultimate protein drink with some calcium offsetting phosphorus,I will put milk or cream though.

Jennifer

Thanks this is a great reminder,potato juice possibly the ultimate protein drink with some calcium offsetting phosphorus,I will put milk or cream though.
You're welcome! I think Ray mentions mushrooms as being a high quality protein source, too. Because I wasn't a huge fan of the taste of the potato juice, I used to use it as a base in soups, particularly cream of mushroom soup. I used many different types of mushrooms that gave this deep, earthy flavor that masked the potato juice flavor quite well. It was actually pretty heavenly. I would make up large batches of the potato juice and freeze it in serving size containers so that I would always have some ready to go.

Travis

You can add kelp to the soup! This adds iodide.

Kelp and mushrooms actually taste good boiled together IMO. This is what they do in Japan.

OP
Drareg

Drareg

You can add kelp to the soup! This adds iodide.

Kelp and mushrooms actually taste good boiled together IMO. This is what they do in Japan.

Dashi is a classic!
I think Peat mentioned seaweeds are like sponges for radiation,currently more so in the Pacific.
Carrageenan is also a concern in some.

MB50

I'll add that any health consequences from B₁₂ deficiency is identical to that from high methionine and folate deficiency.

The problem is high homocysteine. The amino acid methionine turns into homocysteine in the body, and both vitamin B₁₂ and folic acid are required to remethylate. They work through the same enzyme.

However, there is another way to rid the body of excess homocysteine, and that is through the enzyme cystathionine beta synthesase. A genetic defect in this enzyme can raise homocysteine levels to around 300 μg/L, as seen in these two case reports.

Homocystinuria: Challenges in diagnosis and management

Things can be serious with such high levels of homocysteine.

Homocysteinuria is also related to cardiovascular issues. The high blood levels of this amino acid are toxic. This can be induced with high methionine loads:

Hyperhomocysteinemia After an Oral Methionine Load Acutely Impairs Endothelial Function in Healthy Adults
View attachment 5700

So 15 to 35 micromol/L are considered "mild to moderate elevations". Here are some blood levels for vegans:

View attachment 5701

B-Vitamin Status and Concentrations of Homocysteine in Austrian Omnivores, Vegetarians and Vegans

As you can see the B12 is slightly lower and the homocysteine is slightly higher. The vegans have higher folate levels as you would expect.

So how do they induce homocysteinuria in monkeys? You know trying to lower B12 would take years:

They need to restrict choline and betaine because these tertiary amines are methyl donors and can methylate homocysteine themselves.

So the fast track to homocysteinuria is high methionine, low choline, and low folate diet. Cobalamin deficiencies take time, because of enterohepatic recirculation and small amounts are absorbed very efficiently:

View attachment 5702

Vitamin B12 is just one factor that influences homocysteine remethylation. Here are a few levels for vegans plotted against B12 levels.

View attachment 5703

There is only a weak correlation, and none of the levels exceed 35 microg/L.

I am willing to bet that the birth defects caused by a high methionine diet low in folic acid and choline exceed any birth defects caused by a diet low in vitamin B12, it's just not newsworthy. Here is a quote from Ray Peat:

Milk in context: allergies, ecology, and some myths
@Travis what are your thoughts on methylfolate supplementation above 1mg? I recently listened to chris masterjohns podcast on methylation and he certainly is not a fan of methylfolate supplementation above that; however, I have heard so many people swear by higher dose methylfolate supplementation. I have not seen anything that suggests these doses are dangerous in any way. I also am wondering how much supplementation actually affects neurotransmitters, most info seems to be theoretical. I really don't have much knowledge on this subject so any insight from somebody more knowledgeable would be helpful.

Travis

I haven't read much about this topic. I'm sure there are a few interesting articles about methylation and folate out there that I might dive into someday, but I haven't really gone there yet.

It could be a safer way to get methyl groups than methionine. But then again, maybe the obligatory amount of methionine that we all eat provides enough methyl groups?

I know that methylation is not why methionine is toxic; it's because of polyamines.

I haven't bothered much reading about folate since I eat about [checking cronometer] 284% RDA per day. And there was that problem with folic acid which you of course know about since you are taking the new and improved methylfolate.

I also am wondering how much supplementation actually affects neurotransmitters, most info seems to be theoretical.
This is what I'm reading about right now. In the early '70's, John D. Fernstrom from MIT showed that trytophan protein ratios in food actually effect the amount of serotonin in the brain. This effect was totally predictable and reproducible.

But everyone could have guessed that of course. What people didn't know before those studies was that the absolute plasma tryptophan levels barely matter. What is correlated with brain serotonin synthesis is actually the ratio of plasma trytophan over the other large neutral amino acids: valine, leucine, tyrosine, phenylalanine, and isoleucine.

The brain trytophan concentration—and hence the serotonin level—is actually proportional to: Trp/(Val + Leu + Tyr + Phe + Iso).
tryp2.png
And you can actually lower brain serotonin by supplementing with these five competing amino acids. They even do this clinically, and have a name for it: acute tryptophan depletion. This is where subjects are given a drink containing large amounts of these five amino acids. It actually does work quickly.

So paradoxically, eating ½ pound of cheese can actually lower you serotonin levels even though your plasma tryptophan levels rise. This is because it raises the competing amino acids more.

Eggs have quite a bit of trytophan, and less competing amino acids than cheese. And lactalbumin, a whey protein, has the most. This is a favorite protein used in these experiments because it provides quite a bit. So the large neutral amino acids can actually lower serotonin synthesis in the brain.

Here is a handy chart of a few normalized amino acid protein ratios with tryptophan and its competitors* highlighted:
try3.png try4.png try5.png
[It's normalized to each gram of nitrogen, so the total amino acids vary slightly because many amino acids have multiple nitrogens.]

It might be helpful to look at the Trp/(Val + Leu + Tyr + Phe + Iso) of your favorite foods since this correlates very strongly with brain serotonin synthesis.

And a new study with PET imaging indicates that males produce about 52% more serotonin, on average, than females.

Last edited:

Travis

I just stumbled across this comment while reading about melatonin and serotonin:
Tetrahydrobiopterin is a cofactor for tryptophan hydroxylase, the enzyme that regulates the biosynthesis of 5-HT, which in turn can be metabolized into melatonin.
So I looked a bit further and found this:
For example, experimental folate deficiency can lead to a fall in brain levels of serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine; 5-HT) [Botez et al. 1979). It is also of interest that in the rat brain the highest regional concentration of methyl-tetrahydrofolate is in areas of dense serotonergic innervation (Korevaar).
Looks like folate is necessary to produce serotonin. But the same enzyme that uses folate (tryptophan hydroxylase) also makes melatonin. Tryptophan hydroxylase is considered the rate-limiting enzyme in serotonin synthesis.

Besides an acetyl group, melatonin also has a methyl group.* So methyl groups are required for this indolamine. This could be a plus for methylfolate.
In 1967 Reynolds reported varying degrees of improvement in the mental state of 22 of 26 folatedeficient epileptic patients followed on vitamin therapy for 1 to 3 years. A consistent pattern of improvement in drive, initiative, alertness, concentration and mood was described, which often took several months to be fully apparent.
Judging by those effects, it sounds like it works to increase serotonin in people with low levels.
Whether the patient should be treated with folic acid, calcium folinate or methylfolate is also uncertain, as is the question of the dosage and the duration of treatment. Most studies have been with standard folic acid therapy, but folic acid is transported into the nervous system as methylfolate, and recent trials with this formulation have been encouraging (Crellin; Godfrey.).
He goes on to talk about how folate is exluded from the CNS, and it actually takes months to increase the cerebospinal fluid levels. The CSF level is usually about three times higher than the plasma level. It doesn't sound like you would notice any abrupt changes from taking this.
Furthermore, the amount of methylfolate entering the nervous system is limited by a very efficient bloodbrain barrier mechanism (Reynolds; Spector) Furthermore, the amount of methylfolate entering the nervous system is limited by a very efficient bloodbrain barrier mechanism (Reynolds; Spector).
If you don't eat leaves, then it might be a good idea to take folate. This could be a good way to help throttle your serotonin levels to match your taste. Some people like to be laid back, and some people like to be quick. It might be a good idea to have a drug (bromocriptine?) in case of accidental serotonin overload.
The occasional occurrence of sleeplessness, overactivity, increased anxiety and poor concentration, as reported by Hunter et al. (1970) in normal subjects,
And more serotonin symptoms reported from taking this. But like already noted, it may take weeks. Doses reported were of 15 and 50 milligrams per day, and any serotonergic effects from only 1mg/day would probably take even longer to notice.

But folate is necessary to turn uracil into thymidine, forming a DNA base pair. When this is inhibited, bad things happen. This is probably how folate deficiency causes birth defects:
Folate deficiency causes massive incorporation of uracil into human DNA (4 million per cell) and chromosome breaks. The likely mechanism is the deficient methylation of dUMP to dTMP and subsequent incorporation of uracil into DNA by DNA polymerase.
Blount, Benjamin C., et al. "Folate deficiency causes uracil misincorporation into human DNA and chromosome breakage: implications for cancer and neuronal damage." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 94.7 (1997): 3290-3295.

*Although 6-sulfoxy-melatonin has a sulfoxy group in this position instead.

Last edited: