Bone Broth Makes Me Feel Fkin Weird

narouz

It's been a while since I've explored this,
but it has been a rather murky area of PeatDom.

Bone broth would seem to be a great way to get gelatin.
But...when you really get into making bone broth,
you see that it takes at least a few hours.

But:
Peat says that if you cook the bones
for more than--what?...I forget now--I think he said more than an hour or two,
then you will degrade the quality of the protein.

I've never reconciled those points of view.

tara

FredSonoma said:
tara said:
I think storing the broth for several days in the fridge may contribute to it breaking down into more bioactive amines. Have you read Peat's article from a few months ago about meat? This is one of my suspects.
No I haven't - will look for it now. Would it be in recent articles on his website?

Edit: is it this? http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/me ... ress.shtml
That's the one I was thinking of. Polyamines increased by age and long cooking.

narouz

Oh yeah--on the gelatin difficulties...
We had a thread here a while back
claiming that there was endotoxin in gelatin, right?

I can't remember if specific brands were noted.
I'm sorry to provide so few details,
but I haven't been eating gelatin for a while
so I didn't pay close attention.
But it was a surprising claim and it sticks in my memory....

Stuart

tara said:
FredSonoma said:
tara said:
I think storing the broth for several days in the fridge may contribute to it breaking down into more bioactive amines. Have you read Peat's article from a few months ago about meat? This is one of my suspects.
No I haven't - will look for it now. Would it be in recent articles on his website?

Edit: is it this? http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/me ... ress.shtml
That's the one I was thinking of. Polyamines increased by age and long cooking.

So Tara do you think the polyamine factor needs a critical moisture level? Dry gelatin is usually at least a couple of months old when you consume it.
I wonder also about freezing for months at a time. Say icecream?
Perhaps it's the initial temperature you take the food to while cooking it that is the critical factor. Which would tend to make any gelatin you buy suspect wouddn't it, given the temps they use to process it.
What do you think about the acrylamides formed during baking/roasting cooking methods?

@ FredS_
You asked about keeping the broth at 60 deg C. 'Sous Vide' is a French term (they developed it) which means ''under vacuum'. Mormally you vacuum seal whatever food item you wish to cook in a plastic sleeve and then immerse it in the Sous Vide water bath which is held at the constant desired low temp. Meat cooked at these far lower temps is a wonderful texture and flavour. i'll never cook meat any other way now I know about it.
But you don't actually need either a sous vide machine (which are readily available now, but still over $ U.S.100 ) nor do you need to put the food inside a plastic envelope. You can use any slow cooker/ rice cooker/ electrically heated cooker- they all work fine. But you will need a 'temperature controller' which is connected between the cooker and the power supply. In other words you plug the cooker into the temp controller, and then the temp controller plugs into the mains socket. The temperature probe (a metal gizmo at the end of a wire leading from the temp controller 'black box' , goes into the broth or stew or water bath ( if the food item you are cooking does not have liquid around it)
The temperature controllers are available on ebay for about $US 15 . You set the required cooking temp on the black box and away you go.

tara

Stuart said:
So Tara do you think the polyamine factor needs a critical moisture level? Dry gelatin is usually at least a couple of months old when you consume it.
I wonder also about freezing for months at a time. Say icecream?
Perhaps it's the initial temperature you take the food to while cooking it that is the critical factor. Which would tend to make any gelatin you buy suspect wouddn't it, given the temps they use to process it.
What do you think about the acrylamides formed during baking/roasting cooking methods?
I don't know, but I would guess that moisture would be relevant. With powdered dry gelatine, I would expect any issues to be more likely to arise during production than during storage, as long as it is kept dry. Some people here are concerned about endotoxins in gelatin powder. Peat has recommended some gelatin powder, so I assume he thinks the benefits usually outweight the costs.

I would expect freezing to at least slow or and maybe stop degradation. I still cook broths, but I don't add vinegar/acid, and I usually keep it to 2-3 hours. I have no qualms about storing soups/broths/stews in teh freezer, but sometimes they get left in the fridge for up to 4 day, and I'm not sure if that is a problem.
I mentioned the issue in the context of OP reacting badly to broths, just wondering if this could be a factor.

I gather acrylamides are not a good thing but I have not studied them and I regularly eat roasted and baked food. I think some people here tend to avoid them.

D

Deleted member 5487

When you spend so much of your life in a high serotonin state, and you begin to move towards a lower serotonin state, it certainly will feel very weird.

Is there any validity to this statement. I makes sense. When I take collagen I feel calm and sorta spaced out.

Rickyman

Yeah same here. I made oxtail and my head feels space and foggy. A bit fatigued.

This happens after my bone broth meal (ox tail/zucchini/potato's and the broth)

What gives?

Rickyman

Is there any validity to this statement. I makes sense. When I take collagen I feel calm and sorta spaced out.
Interesting because yeah I do feel calmer I figured that was just me meeting my blood sugar needs idk certainly is an odd feeling .

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals