Fructose Powder Better Than Refined Sugar?

orangedonkey

I was reading strongbad's posts and he said fructose powder is better than refined sugar but didn't really explain. Does anyone have any more info on this?

mt_dreams

orangedonkey said:
I was reading strongbad's posts and he said fructose powder is better than refined sugar but didn't really explain. Does anyone have any more info on this?

For a healthy person with a well functioning liver who digests fructose well, it allows them to take in lots of sugar calories without activating insulin. I'm sure they were specifics relating to the fructose effect on the body, but the above is the biggest factor.

With someone with a sluggish liver, this is not the route to go.

Refining sugar is a somewhat natural process, especially if it's unbleached sugar. Fructose powder has to be processed to remove the glucose chain.

mt_dreams

Giraffe said:
post 100932
mt_dreams said:
post 100865 With someone with a sluggish liver, this is not the route to go.
Why not?

The liver has to process/convert it, so if the liver is not healthy, it will put extra strain on your body, especially the liver. It's the same as the rule regarding alcohol, which is why so many misinformed people jumped on the fructose is toxic bandwagon once Ludwig beat this point to death.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dizzryda

mt_dreams said:
post 100865
orangedonkey said:

For a healthy person with a well functioning liver who digests fructose well, it allows them to take in lots of sugar calories without activating insulin. I'm sure they were specifics relating to the fructose effect on the body, but the above is the biggest factor.

With someone with a sluggish liver, this is not the route to go.

Refining sugar is a somewhat natural process, especially if it's unbleached sugar. Fructose powder has to be processed to remove the glucose chain.

This might explain why I get weird symptoms when I try a milk/sugar or milk/fructose combo. I get weird jaw tension and eye pressure. I'm thinking it must sluggish liver. I couldn't tell if you were saying regular sucrose would be the better option of the two for someone with a sluggish liver or if both should be used sparingly if at all.

mt_dreams

Dizzryda said:
post 103313

This might explain why I get weird symptoms when I try a milk/sugar or milk/fructose combo. I get weird jaw tension and eye pressure. I'm thinking it must sluggish liver. I couldn't tell if you were saying regular sucrose would be the better option of the two for someone with a sluggish liver or if both should be used sparingly if at all.

First and foremost, if you have access to liver tests, it would be best to test before revamping you diet.
For someone with a sluggish liver, it would be wise to limit fructose until you can get the organ up to speed. So in this regard, sucrose is better than isolated fructose. Since sucrose still contains half fructose, glucose in the form of starches might be a better temporary option since it's not digested by the liver ... this is assuming you tolerate starches, & have proper insulin activity.

I believe the lactose in milk is also converted by the liver, so if this is correct, it's also something to keep in mind.

Spondive

It seems based on what I have read from Peat that fructose would be better if you have a compromised liver

Stilgar

Me and my partner tried fructose as our primary sugar source for a couple of days.

It resulted in a LOT of flatulence, and feeling quite horrible. So needless to say we don't use it anymore. :shock:

LucH

mt_dreams said:
post 103416 For someone with a sluggish liver, it would be wise to limit fructose until you can get the organ up to speed. So in this regard, sucrose is better than isolated fructose.
I agree :hattip
When fructose isn't bound withe fibber, it's sluggish. Ok in fruits (...).
Limit fructose: It's very unstable (glycation => glycated advanced EndProducts). Never cook with fructose if protein (or lipid) is present.

You got uric acid. uric acid is a major component of obesity, high blood pressure and kidney disease.
The ideal range for uric acid lies between 3 to 5.5 mg per dl (blood test).
http://fourhourworkweek.com/2009/10/05/gout/

Your overload liver if in excess.

HFCS (syrup) is very dangerous for bees (immunity). And for men? Not as dangerous if you haven't got any problem with your liver or triglycerids. But I wouldn't ...
:hattip
LucH

Sea

mt_dreams said:
post 101104
Giraffe said:
post 100932
mt_dreams said:
post 100865 With someone with a sluggish liver, this is not the route to go.
Why not?

The liver has to process/convert it, so if the liver is not healthy, it will put extra strain on your body, especially the liver. It's the same as the rule regarding alcohol, which is why so many misinformed people jumped on the fructose is toxic bandwagon once Ludwig beat this point to death.

I thought that Ray Peat said that fructose is the most protective of the liver, and can help the liver better than other forms of sugar when it is faced with actual poisons.

mt_dreams

Sea said:
post 103441

I thought that Ray Peat said that fructose is the most protective of the liver, and can help the liver better than other forms of sugar when it is faced with actual poisons.

If you're liver isn't removing toxins properly then this can apply. I was thinking more on the line of an overworked/sluggish liver with no known damage, which could use the short term break of having extra work to convert the fructose. I also don't think Ray has been referring to isolated fructose powder when talking about the benefits of fructose on the liver, not that I'm bashing fructose powder. if it's something more serious, bound fructose might be a better option. This is why liver tests are crucial if you think there might be something more serious.

Mittir

Someone asked RP about pure fructose and his response was that he heard contradictory
experiences from people who used pure fructose. It is possibly got to do with quality of the
product and individual health. He mentioned that it is fine to use pure fructose as long as it's
quality is good.

Fructose is absorbed slowly and presence of glucose accelerates the absorption.
It is better to eat glucose and fructose at the same time or eat small amount of fructose
alone. Fructose can lower blood sugar and blood insulin significantly even at very low dose
like 10 grams. These are called catalytic dose.

Fructose has insulin like activity, when i eat starch i always drink a cup of apple juice,
which has about 70 percent fructose and 30 percent glucose. It helps a lot with keeping
blood sugar stable. You can add 10-20 grams of pure fructose with starchy meal.
Fructose does tons of beneficial things like increasing metabolism, ATP, glycogen storage,
lowering phosphorus etc. He also thinks fructose is liver protective.

Xisca

Yes but fructose coming from fruits or sucrose!

He also thinks fructose is liver protective.

It is possibly got to do with quality of the
product and individual health. He mentioned that it is fine to use pure fructose as long as it's
quality is good.
The problem is to know if it is... how is it extracted and from what?

And I am not the only person to have had an explosion of tooth decay during the period of consuming pure fructose products....

johnwester130

And I am not the only person to have had an explosion of tooth decay during the period of consuming pure fructose products....

how would that happen

I am also interested in replacing honey/ sugar/ sweeteners with pure fructose powder

Xisca

how would that happen
I am also interested in replacing honey/ sugar/ sweeteners with pure fructose powder
I don't know but it happened to me, and to a girl (she had allergy to sucrose!) and her parents got to know it from other people, so it is not isolated, and the decays stopped when they stopped the use of fructose.

BTW I have had the worse "epidemic" ever during the time I was eating lots of fruits. I don't know if this is from the fructose of fruits or from sth else, but a sudden burst of 10 in 2 years, when I had been found none during years, strange. Not enough for conclusions...

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter

My understanding is that fructose powder comes from corn.
I cannot find organic fructose powder, so that means that fructose powder is coming from corn that is treated with pesticides, etc.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals