Herpes Outbreak On Face After Using L-lysine?

Aether

Hi.

I have been following this forum for sometime now and must thank, first and foremost Ray Peat. I particularly find Haidut's posts invaluable at times!... and of course everyone who contributes to such a goldmine of information. It has helped me in my quest for better health immensely. Long may the forum continue....

Anyway I wonder if anyone can shed any light on this perplexing little anomaly?

Having tried the Linus Pauling protocol (to help with broken capillaries) involving 6000mg vit c and 3000mg of lysine in divided doses per day my face soon broke out in what seems very much like HSV type cold sores/blisters which spread rapidly. Hence I stopped supplementing!

This subsided somewhat after 2 days and the sores then crusting/scabbing over eventually drying up and flaking off revealing fresh initially pink skin underneath soon returning to normal skin colour with no scarring.

This I can safely say was the lysine at work NOT vit c. I have ingested much higher amounts of c with no problems. To confirm this and satisfy my curiosity, I tried lysine again a month later albeit in smaller amounts and exactly the same thing happened again!

This really intrigues me as I have only read about lysine curing cold sores (herpes virus) NOT creating them. It seems as though I am harbouring the herpes virus and the lysine is having a paradoxical effect detoxing and bringing it out through the skin.

I read about arginine being antagonistic or having opposing effects to lysine. Interestingly after taking some l-arginine the sores regressed rapidly, effectively halting the spread of the outbreak very quickly.

There seems to be a lysine/arginine seesaw balance within the body at work here??

Has anyone else had anything like this happen whilst taking lysine, again I have only ever heard of lysine getting rid of cold sores (herpes virus)?

...and can any of you helpful souls explain the biochemisty at work creating my above reaction to lysine?

Most odd!

SOMO

The only thing I can think of is that the L-Lysine is "expelling" the virus and there's only a few routes through which pathogens are expelled:
1. Urine/Kidneys
2. Feces/Intestines
3. Nasal passages/mucus/snot
4. Skin - sweat
5. Skin - pores

When many people take Accutane or high-dose Vitamin A their skin purges until the sebum and skin cells rebalances.

I know if I eat too much chicken fat, I get small red and white bumps which are dry and don't itch, but which go away if I use lotion with caprylic acid (MCT/Saturated fat), indicating that the PUFA is being purged out of my skin and clearly not "burned" through fat oxidation.