"Natural" Amounts Of Thyroid

stressucks

I was listening to GE #15 and they were talking about how up until some point in time, our food supply contained thyroid hormone.

I'd like to consume an amount and type of thyroid hormone that would naturally have been found in the food supply in the past. How can I do that?

Is it ok to be somewhat inconsistent like food intake of thyroid would have been?

tara

Is it ok to be somewhat inconsistent like food intake of thyroid would have been?
Important thing is not to overdose. I'm guessing a few accidental overdoses with bad results are probably part of why thyroids are no longer routinely included in the sausage mix. The quantities are small. T4 is fairly long-lived. I would guess that perfect evenness every day is probably not a big deal for most people if it's small amounts.
I'm having a little chicken neck stock regularly, after reading Mittir and Jenn(?) on it here. Have heard that cooking might damage the hormones, but not followed up. I'm also unclear about whether the hormones stick with the fat or scum and get removed if I skim this to just drink the clear fat-free stock. I'm pretty sure it does me good, and I miss it if I don't have it, but I can't say for sure how much that's to do with thyroid.

OP
S

stressucks

I didn't know you could get it from chicken necks!

Food would be ideal, but supplement would work for me too since it seems hard to find in food.

B

Braveheart

I didn't know you could get it from chicken necks!

Food would be ideal, but supplement would work for me too since it seems hard to find in food.
yes, chicken neck and back...so neck still attached to include the thyroid...I do overnite on low slow cooker along with chicken feet,salt...chill and remove fat...delicious clear broth turns to gelatin w thyroid...love it...one cup almost daily

shepherdgirl

@tara and @ecstatichamster :
where can one find chicken necks and/or fish heads? The only place I have found them is included with a chicken or head-on fish (except for salmon heads, which do not interest me because of the pufa).

tara

@tara and @ecstatichamster :
where can one find chicken necks and/or fish heads? The only place I have found them is included with a chicken or head-on fish (except for salmon heads, which do not interest me because of the pufa).
I don't know how it is where you are.
Where I am, you can buy packets of chicken necks from butchers and sometimes supermarkets for making soup. And there's a fishmonger that sells the remains of fish carcasses - spines and heads left over after taking the fillets off - also presumably for people who like to make fish soup. Both salmon and the non-oily ones.
I guess if you only have access to salmon heads, you could boil them up, strain, skim the fat off the top, and use the clear broth? Which is what I do with chicken necks.

tara

shepherdgirl

@tara
Thanks very much for the info and great ideas - I can check to see whether some local butchers have chicken necks (unfortunately i think it is hard to get feet here based on "sanitation" laws- what a waste). Once I did get fish heads from a fishmonger but they were pretty old and nasty... probably he was not expecting anyone to buy them! :lol:
It's true these parts must be going somewhere!! Maybe they are going for pet food or bone meal or something. I guess i can start talking to some farmers too...
Re the salmon broth- wouldn't the pufa stay liquid after chilling it? I guess it would still float though - maybe decanting the oils would be useful?

tankasnowgod

I was listening to GE #15 and they were talking about how up until some point in time, our food supply contained thyroid hormone.

I'd like to consume an amount and type of thyroid hormone that would naturally have been found in the food supply in the past. How can I do that?

Ray has said that it was equivalent to about 1/4 to 1/2 a grain of thyroid a day. You might still get some if you drink milk, or eat shellfish like lobster or crab.

I think Tara is correct, I believe the FDA banned thyroid from food after someone came down with Thyroid Storm after eating a sausage.

Footscray

20 years ago a beautiful old women in the Gold Coast hinterland (Australia) introduced us young ones to Thai fish head soup. She was doing this for her thyroid as we later found out. But it was definitely not nasty old fish heads but absolutely delicious. We were always told to choose non oily fish when we continued to make it. But time went on and I stopped making it as the kids hated it.
As for thyroid glands from mammals, they would have been a regular part of the offal that everyone would have eaten. And because it was a normal part of our diet we wouldn't have been hypo and wouldn't have reacted nearly as badly by eating a big serve. Even with no apparent consistency, but we would have had overall consistency in our offal intake.

x-ray peat

I've messed around with NDT before. Didn't notice anything
I take 1.25 grains a day as I was subclinical hypo. I don't notice much either except my outer eyebrows grew in some. Actually I don't really notice the effects of any of supplements I take but I think with the stress of modern living, envirotoxins and today's frankenfoods its not bad insurance.

x-ray peat

20 years ago a beautiful old women in the Gold Coast hinterland (Australia) introduced us young ones to Thai fish head soup. She was doing this for her thyroid as we later found out. But it was definitely not nasty old fish heads but absolutely delicious. We were always told to choose non oily fish when we continued to make it. But time went on and I stopped making it as the kids hated it.
As for thyroid glands from mammals, they would have been a regular part of the offal that everyone would have eaten. And because it was a normal part of our diet we wouldn't have been hypo and wouldn't have reacted nearly as badly by eating a big serve. Even with no apparent consistency, but we would have had overall consistency in our offal intake.
Sounds delicious actually. Along those lines of thinking, it's thought that our bodies lost the ability to synthesize Vitamin C because our ancestors were eating so much fruit and it was no longer adaptive to make our own like other animals. The same may be true for thyroid. We may not naturally produce as much as we need because our bodies evolved to expect some from our diet. This gives some credence to the OP's strategy even if you are not hypo.

tara

I guess it would still float though - maybe decanting the oils would be useful?
It floats - you should be able to scoop most of it off the top.

shepherdgirl

@dbh25
Thanks, I forgot about Asian markets!
@tara 's idea of the salmon heads could work too
But realistically I do not have time to make broth every week, so will try microdoses of NDT too...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals