Eating Dried Liver?

trew

I've come across some air dried liver products that are targeted to pets as treats.

As far as I can tell it's 100% liver, except brands have air dried versions and others are dried another way.

Does this dried liver version still have the same vitamins/minerals as normal cooked liver?

raypeatclips

I would imagine it would be much lower quality that fresh liver. Why don't you eat fresh liver? Please don't tell me you don't like eating liver but are considering eating dog treats.

OP
T

trew

I would imagine it would be much lower quality that fresh liver. Why don't you eat fresh liver? Please don't tell me you don't like eating liver but are considering eating dog treats.

lol did you just compare freshness when talking about fresh liver vs dried liver?

i'm talking about whether the vitamin/mineral content stays intact after the drying process.

and I wouldn't mind eating 100% safe liver dog treats. woof woof.

raypeatclips

lol did you just compare freshness when talking about fresh liver vs dried liver?

i'm talking about whether the vitamin/mineral content stays intact after the drying process.

and I wouldn't mind eating 100% safe liver dog treats. woof woof.

I said quality not freshness. I.e any nutrients may be oxidized or reduced, etc similar to Rays comments about milk powder Vs fresh milk. Perhaps they may even be allergenic. I can't imagine they would be an adequate replacement. I would also not trust the safety of the treats compared to safety that goes into human food.

Go ahead and give the dog treats a go though and let us know how it goes haha.

Xisca

pet food is usually human food grade...
At least you loose the vitamine c in the liver!

I dunno if I would make gelatine from skin used to make pet bones! Well I would definitiely not. Of this I have heard bad things...

schultz

Liver has quite a bit of cholesterol in it. I might be concerned about the oxidized cholesterol. I don't know much on this subject though.

Luann

I remember there was a post on RPF about someone else who ate freeze-dried pet grade liver. He / she put it in orange juice as a powder and said the taste wasn't even noticeable. The liver from my supermarket is really shady, it either goes bad really fast, or it is bad to begin with, or they just don't cut the bile ducts out thoroughly. So I'm also looking into dried liver and would be happy for updates on this thread.