Best Casein Powder Ever

Yeah, it's an old thread but I've noticed you thought that hydrogen sulfide decreased nitric oxide when the actual effect is the opposite.

Hydrogen sulfide cytoprotective signaling is endothelial nitric oxide synthase-nitric oxide dependent. - PubMed - NCBI

But cysteine also the rate-limiting factor (along with glycine) for glutathione, so still pretty good.

Yeah but check this out: Hydrogen sulfide inhibits nitric oxide production and nuclear factor-kappaB via heme oxygenase-1 expression in RAW264.7 macrophages stimulated with... - PubMed - NCBI

It seems H2S and aspirin do opposite things with iNOS. But the main point of this H2S and NO is to stop respiration. And in some way the NOS either requires respiration to work or is stimulated by uncontrolled respiration.

Elephanto

Yeah but check this out: Hydrogen sulfide inhibits nitric oxide production and nuclear factor-kappaB via heme oxygenase-1 expression in RAW264.7 macrophages stimulated with... - PubMed - NCBI

It seems H2S and aspirin do opposite things with iNOS. But the main point of this H2S and NO is to stop respiration. And in some way the NOS either requires respiration to work or is stimulated by uncontrolled respiration.

Peat talks in bad of "heme oxygenase". His quote :

"One of the substances produced by stressed cells that's involved in tumor induction, growth, and metastasis (Tanaka, et al., 2003; Datta, et al., 2010; Was, et al., 2010) is the enzyme heme oxygenase, which breaks down the essential component of respiratory enzymes, heme, producing carbon monoxide as a product, which inhibits cell respiration, increasing reliance on the glycolysis which produces lactic acid. If metastatic cells continue to produce this enzyme, this is likely to contribute to reconstituting the "cancer field," with increased HIF, hypoxia inducible factor, and a variety of other regulatory agents, each of which has its protective functions elsewhere, but which in combination can worsen the tumor."

-

This pathway is also induced by several estrogenic and/or toxic herbs. I don't know, it may be harmful.

TheHound

anyone ever try canadianprotein micellar casein? They have it on sale for 59.99 for 5 pounds right now. The ingredients for the unflavoured are only casein and soy lecithin (less than 0.5%). Is the soy lecithin at this quantity a negligible amount?

mt_dreams

anyone ever try canadianprotein micellar casein? They have it on sale for 59.99 for 5 pounds right now. The ingredients for the unflavoured are only casein and soy lecithin (less than 0.5%). Is the soy lecithin at this quantity a negligible amount?

I haven't tried this, but I looked at the site since the price is good & I wont be in the US to pick up a naked container until the fall. First impressions are; does not state what type of milk, does not state processing, is produced at a facility with almost every known allergen, and it contains soy. Doesn't really pass with flying colours.

So if you're looking for a low quality casein with .5% soy, then this will do, but I would suggest trying to get a sample before you bite down & buy the 5lb tub.

Dopamine

proteinco.ca has pure casein with zero additives, GMP certified, and no lechitin. The flavored types have stevia (Probaly not a big deal) but the unflavored has nothing. Also free shipping in canada if your order is over $49 and %15 off first order...

Nkd proteins Amino acid content has less of the anti-metabolic aminos and slightly more BCAA which is good but also less glycine and magnesium. nkd protein also contains significantly more calcium... Nkd also specifically states no growth hormone in the their product, cold processed, and no acid processing. I think nkd protein is slightly better actually though they are both probaly good options.

Last edited:
Casein is the part in milk where intact growth hormone is stored (igf-1). Eating a diet with a lot of casein would surely promote cancer and aging. It's quite amazing that on a website based on works that warn against growth hormone, people are talking in good light of casein. It also lacks the considerable amount of bcaa that you would get from the whey portion of milk, making it inferior to plain milk.

interesting. You have a point about casein perhaps. This was a VERY short term study on 8 year old boys:

European Journal of Clinical Nutrition - Differential effects of casein versus whey on fasting plasma levels of insulin, IGF-1 and IGF-1/IGFBP-3: results from a randomized 7-day supplementation study in prepubertal boys

Serum IGF-1 increased by 15% (P<0.0001), whereas there was no change in fasting insulin (P=0.36) in the casein group.
In the whey group, fasting insulin increased by 21%(P=0.006), with no change in IGF-1 (P=0.27). There were no independent effects of a high milk mineral intake on IGF-1 and insulin.

What's the effect of 15% higher serum IGF-1

Parsifal

@Dopamine You told me that opioids where the cause of dissociation. Do you know if casein is really a strong opioid like some people say it is please?

Dopamine

@Dopamine You told me that opioids where the cause of dissociation. Do you know if casein is really a strong opioid like some people say it is please?

I don't know if they are necessarily the cause of dissociation... I do think they are likely a part of the problem.

Casein intolerance can trigger histamine release just like any allergenic food. Opioids increase histamine also. I'm not sure how strong of an opioid agonist casein is but I doubt its very significant... if significant at all.

Do you eat cheese without problems? If so I see no reason why casein supplementation would be a problem.

Last edited:

Drareg

Has Peat mentioned casein as being relatively safe somewhere? KMUD interview?

None of the casein protein brands seem to be grass fed.

tara

None of the casein protein brands seem to be grass fed.
I don't know about the first part - he's said favourable things about casein in milk, but maybe not as powders.
But wrt grass-fed or not, isn't that more about the fat composition, and the casein powder doesn't have much fat?

Drareg

I don't know about the first part - he's said favourable things about casein in milk, but maybe not as powders.
But wrt grass-fed or not, isn't that more about the fat composition, and the casein powder doesn't have much fat?

Great point on the fat,thanks.

tyler

@tyler @natedawggh did you guys go with the unflavored? Vanilla looks to be a good ingredient panel as well.
Yeah I went with unflavored. Usually made my own flavored shakes with maple syrup, vanilla, milk, and PB2 powder. So good. Can't recommend this stuff enough.

I've been out for a few months now and I miss it so much. Wish it was cheaper. One of these days I'm going to buy both the whey and casein and make a mix.

Jsaute21

Thanks bro. His blog has a lot of great information. It is an absolute beating financially, but i am a big believer in Casein.

jitsmonkey

I just wanted to chime in on the Naked Casein usage.
I can absolutely confirm nate's original comments.
Its been an easy source of increased protein
Its helped my digestion/gut immensely
As nate said "worth every penny"

Back
Top Bottom