Is An Optimal Diet Enough?

Ron J

With Peat's dietary guidelines, can we overcome modern stressors in the food supply and environment to achieve a hormonal profile similar to men in the past? Or would we have to resort(in addition to an optimal diet) to legal hormonal supplements?

J

James IV

There are a lot of variables to answer that question. I personally would say diet alone is not enough. You need to live better, not just eat better.

OP
R

Ron J

There are a lot of variables to answer that question. I personally would say diet alone is not enough. You need to live better, not just eat better.
Can you give some examples? Also, I forgot to add weightlifting(assuming it helps).

OP
R

Ron J

Sleep. Sunlight. Fullfilling work. Quality relationships. Creative expression....
Thank you. Been having problems with sleep, but I'm making improvements.
I was considering desiccated thyroid due to the DHT boost, but the estrogen increase/symptoms concern me. I've read about methylene blue(would want for T4 boost among other benefits), but every time something negative about it puts me off.

Can you give some examples? Also, I forgot to add weightlifting(assuming it helps).

Find something you enjoy that you can turn into a profitable enterprise. Or else find someone who's rich that is willing to let you mooch off them indefinitely:emoji_laughing:

jitsmonkey

This is great James IV
I think this is a critical aspect of Ray's perspective that is extremely overlooked and neglected. Nutrition and even supplementation is simply a "doorway" that without the nutrition and supps you couldn't walk through to do much of the living better but the living better happens on the other side of that doorway. Nutrition is a means to an end not an end in and of iteslf

Tarmander

I would say from personal experience no. Since I found Peat I have been lowering stressful things in my life, and it has helped. But I continued to gain weight slowly, and be sensitive to stress, and have elevated blood sugars. I went on vacation at one point for a couple weeks and felt really relaxed, and started noticing some signs of a metabolism that had picked up. But then I came back, started working, started driving more, etc. I went right back to where I usually am.

I think, to really heal, I would need something like a year off in nature, probably high elevation. After that year or so, I think I could make significant progress. I started dabbling in thyroid a couple months ago, and committed more to it a few weeks ago and the results are amazing. Everything seems to be going so much better. Weight is coming off, blood sugars much better, can exercise and have good sleep. You can make a lot of progress on diet, and then life style factors, but sometimes you just don't have the resources to really allow for deep healing. That would obviously be the optimal path.

^Yes, it's critical to have the proper resources for healing and then for thriving. Whether it's a stimulating environment, a healthy social life, a healthy financial life, etc. Diet is just fixing one component and hoping it's enough to boost the others in the right direction. It's occasionally sufficient but usually not.

theLaw

+ Clean the Liver

+ Fix Digestive Issues

+ Reduce PUFA in Tissues down to almost nothing

Starting to notice a pattern of members claiming health problems without taking care of these issues first. Makes me wonder if some people just prefer to stay sick.

Follow a strict basic protocol of Macros + Micros, take care of the above issues, and get labs to confirm.:D

OP
R

Ron J

I follow a strict diet, although, it could be better if I wasn't on a budget. Currently low fat(main source is coconut oil) and no starch.

Regina

I would say from personal experience no. Since I found Peat I have been lowering stressful things in my life, and it has helped. But I continued to gain weight slowly, and be sensitive to stress, and have elevated blood sugars. I went on vacation at one point for a couple weeks and felt really relaxed, and started noticing some signs of a metabolism that had picked up. But then I came back, started working, started driving more, etc. I went right back to where I usually am.

I think, to really heal, I would need something like a year off in nature, probably high elevation. After that year or so, I think I could make significant progress. I started dabbling in thyroid a couple months ago, and committed more to it a few weeks ago and the results are amazing. Everything seems to be going so much better. Weight is coming off, blood sugars much better, can exercise and have good sleep. You can make a lot of progress on diet, and then life style factors, but sometimes you just don't have the resources to really allow for deep healing. That would obviously be the optimal path.
:hammock

theLaw

+ Clean the Liver

+ Fix Digestive Issues

Starting to notice a pattern of members claiming health problems without taking care of these issues first. Makes me wonder if some people just prefer to stay sick.

Follow a strict basic protocol of Macros + Micros, take care of the above issues, and get labs to confirm.:D

Thought I would add these links to help anyone looking to resolve these issues. Each problem has several solutions listed.

+ Clean the Liver

Caffeine Reverses Stress, Insulin Resistance, Hypertension

High Protein Diet Prevents & Reverses Fatty Liver Disease (steatosis)

+ Fix Digestive Issues

Amino Acid Supplementation For People With Poor Digestion

Ray Peat Potato Protein Soup (RPPPS)

Cyproheptadine - A Wonder Drug?

PUFA Depletion Can (probably) Be Accomplished In 30 Days!

Haidut's Summary Of PUFA

VoS uncoupling thread

Cheers!:cool:

OP
R

Ron J

The links certainly help. Cheers to you too.

Scenes

Thanks heaps for pulling this together.

Wondering what are the key indicators of 1) healthy liver and 2) healthy digestive system?

Are there some simple things we can identify to help us recognise how we're tracking?

theLaw

Thanks heaps for pulling this together.

Wondering what are the key indicators of 1) healthy liver and 2) healthy digestive system?

Are there some simple things we can identify to help us recognise how we're tracking?

Check links for more detailed info.

Tarmander