New Here ^.^

Kate

Heya, I am a 17 and It's been about 1-2 years since my family started using coconut oil and my Dad was reading about Ray Peat during this time :D However, I only just started a Peat-ish diet for about one month. (saying peat-ish diet because I have been gradually learning and incorporating his ideas into my diet)

Before, I was one of those people who thought they were eating healthy X"D I started juicing and drinking vegetables (THE GROSS GREEN ONES!!) So glad that I stopped :D because it was disgusting and did nothing for my healthy. Oh also for a majority of my life I drank Soy milk... and then my family stopped but, I never liked the taste of really milk... so I drank... water........ (until now of course) I also did cross country and way too much cardio - I was tired and had a cold/sniffle almost all the time :(

Generally what I eat now:
eggs (1-2 eggs about 5-6 days a week)
Orange juice (am not squeezing the oranges right now though ;.; but I do use baking soda)
Milk (Grass fed)
Cheese (not often//cause I am asking mommy if she can find a better one)
Carrot salad! (only have apple cider vinegar... going to change that)
cantaloupe/tangerines/oranges/occasional mango/cooked pear etc.
Bone Broth
Whatever my mom makes for super (usually soup, oxtail, or other stuff that is generally peat friendly)
Occasional liver (;.; I can't stand the taste & texture!!!)
oh, and aspirin, Vit E, D, K
Last but not least, ICECREAM! (all my friends are like: WAT you are on a diet where you can eat ice cream!!)

Health so far:
I used to have super cold feet, and wake up and want another blanket.
(I already am feeling the effects, my feet are getting a bit warmer at night,
and I am cozy warm when I wake up.)
I weigh 140-150lbs give or take and am about 5'9 (probably more now actually)

Stuff that is still iffy
I had mild acne, that increased as I took coconut oil... ;.;
(Now my skin is decent (term used lightly) and the gelatin powder I was eating must be working cause my skin healed nicely, also a few years ago I put coconut oil on my face/it reacted... tried again and it is working way better, maybe my face was toxic o_O/ also use along with bentonite clay, and Epsom salts.)
My stool, before ray peating I had diarrhea/for the longest time, then constipation, now it is getting better but, still could be better.

I would like to hear any recommendations (for the skin especially) oh yeah, when I eat carrots my face (around my mouth and nose turns orange... I don't want to look like Donald! I have started straining the carrots, but is that a sign that something is not working?)

and also what the best vitamin A supplements are :D
Any other advice would be great, cause I barely know anything right now XD
oh also, ray says you should eat often, what do you peoples eat for snacks and stuff in between meals?

Last edited:

Mito

when I eat carrots my face (around my mouth and nose turns orange... I don't want to look like Donald! I have started straining the carrots, but is that a sign that something is not working?)
Maybe this? Ray Peat: "Carotene excess was another identifying feature. The doctor would look at a person's palm of the hand, looking at the calluses. A hypothyroid person typically would have cold and pale hands, but usually with orange areas where the skin was thickened in the calluses. That's because vitamin A is used directly in proportion to your metabolic rate, protein turnover and thyroid function. And if your thyroid is low, you barely use your carotene, hardly converted to vitamin A. And so, the carotene typically would accumulate enough to show up as orange areas where the skin was thick. And in the ovary, it was found that the normal corpus luteum - or yellow body - where progesterone is made, in these women who were hypothyroid, the corpus luteum would be dark red because of accumulated beta carotene. And that carotene would block the production of progesterone, causing amenorrhea in the typical hypothyroid woman." East West - The Thyroid

I like Retinil (http://www.idealabsdc.com/img/retinil_small.jpg) from IdeaLabs IdeaLabs Online Store - Worldwide Ordering And Delivery

OP
K

Kate

Maybe this? Ray Peat: "Carotene excess was another identifying feature. The doctor would look at a person's palm of the hand, looking at the calluses. A hypothyroid person typically would have cold and pale hands, but usually with orange areas where the skin was thickened in the calluses. That's because vitamin A is used directly in proportion to your metabolic rate, protein turnover and thyroid function. And if your thyroid is low, you barely use your carotene, hardly converted to vitamin A. And so, the carotene typically would accumulate enough to show up as orange areas where the skin was thick. And in the ovary, it was found that the normal corpus luteum - or yellow body - where progesterone is made, in these women who were hypothyroid, the corpus luteum would be dark red because of accumulated beta carotene. And that carotene would block the production of progesterone, causing amenorrhea in the typical hypothyroid woman." East West - The Thyroid

I like Retinil (http://www.idealabsdc.com/img/retinil_small.jpg) from IdeaLabs IdeaLabs Online Store - Worldwide Ordering And Delivery
Thank you for the quote!!
My feet used to be always cold, and come to think of it my hands were slightly orange as well (not so much now though)... Someone also recommended that I use bamboo shoots for the same benefits as carrots// without the beta carotene. At least until my thyroid is significantly better, then I will do some carrots (but rinse them first).

Mito

Thank you for the quote!!
My feet used to be always cold, and come to think of it my hands were slightly orange as well (not so much now though)... Someone also recommended that I use bamboo shoots for the same benefits as carrots// without the beta carotene. At least until my thyroid is significantly better, then I will do some carrots (but rinse them first).
Raw carrots should be fine. Ray has said "The carrot is rich in carotene. When you eat it as a whole vegetable, raw, the fibre keeps you from absorbing... almost all the carotene passes through you. When you juice, you get quite a bit of good sugar and minerals, but you also get a tremendous amount of carotene."

OP
K

Kate

Raw carrots should be fine. Ray has said "The carrot is rich in carotene. When you eat it as a whole vegetable, raw, the fibre keeps you from absorbing... almost all the carotene passes through you. When you juice, you get quite a bit of good sugar and minerals, but you also get a tremendous amount of carotene."

ahhhh, ok
Thanks!

Orion

My stool, before ray peating I had diarrhea/for the longest time, then constipation, now it is getting better but, still could be better.

I would like to hear any recommendations (for the skin especially) oh yeah, when I eat carrots my face (around my mouth and nose turns orange... I don't want to look like Donald! I have started straining the carrots, but is that a sign that something is not working?)

I resolved diarrhea issues that lasted years with sublimed sulfur(flowers of sulfur), its a mild antibiotic, available at healthfood stores. You take a few grams for 3 days, it also helps with lactose intolerance.

NOW - Sulmedol

Acne is complex, and searching this forum will give you some ideas. Things that seem to help are finding the correct amount of vitamin A intake, lowering estrogen, increasing progesterone, good liver function(steady blood sugar) and keeping thyroid function high. Ray Peat has mentioned that unsaturated fat is very good at blocking the thyroid/vitamin A transport protein; transthyretin. When thyroid and vitamin A are blocked, you could have down-regulated pregnenolone production. Pregnenolone is used to produced progesterone and DHEA.

Things to experiment with, most of these would come from daily or weekly liver servings:
Vitamin A intake, start low 2.5K to 5K IU, using on skin is RP preferred method
Vitamin E to reduce estrogen and protect against PUFA - 100 IU to 200 IU to start
Vitamin K for liver health, and calcium metabolism - 1mg
Caffeine for progesterone production and liver health - drinking coffee
Aspirin to block prostaglandins and protect against PUFA - start low maybe 81mg
Niacinamide(B3), can halt FFA oxidation and help liver function (B3 is a tough one, lots of people can have issues with it, when hypothyroid, start low even ~10mg)
Try to keep PUFA below 5g/day, so vitamin A and thyroid get to work
Keeping starch low could help with digestion and reduce endotoxin (lower estrogen), when diarrhea is healed, you could test increasing, rice, potatoes, etc...

When adding new supplements, monitor your sleep, something that decreases restful sleep should be stopped or decreased. Cold feet could mean you have elevated stress hormones; adrenaline and cortisol, working on liver function can help you store more glycogen, which can help keep stress hormones down and increase restful sleep.

My experiments have shown that zero starch and zero fat (so very low PUFA), work to heal my acne. Some of my staples:
skim milk, 0% cottage cheese, OJ, apple juice, ripe fruits, cooked fruits, dried fruits, instant coffee, coconut oil, raw carrot, gelatin

tankasnowgod

Any other advice would be great, cause I barely know anything right now XD
oh also, ray says you should eat often, what do you peoples eat for snacks and stuff in between meals?

Hi Kate,

Pretty cool that you're getting into Peat's ideas at a young age, as is your family. So as for the orange part.... that could be a sign you aren't processing Beta Carotene properly. I've been getting multicolored organic carrots from Trader Joe's recently.... they are yellow, white, orange and purple. If you eat more of the yellow, white, and purple ones, and fewer orange ones, that should help the problem go away. A local farmer's market may also have something similar. By the way, Peat has mentioned that cooked mushrooms and cooked bamboo shoots have a similar effect. If you mix in a few of those, you could get the benefits and lower your beta carotene burden.

As for vitamin A supplements, I use Thorne, and I also use Retinil from Idealabs. Both are either Retinyl Palmitate or Acetate, and no PUFA carrier oils.

The things that I find best for skin are Niacinamide, Urea, Red Light, and also sun. I used to have serious Keratosis Pilaris when I was a kid, and getting older and sunlight are the two things that did the most to benefit it (of course, you have to avoid burning and damage when doing any sort of sun exposure). Topical Niacinamide and Urea make a noticiable positive difference in my skin in just a couple days. There are pre-made creams and serums with both (always check the other ingredients), but I've been making my own, and they work great. If you can find some USP or comestic grade Urea, it easily dissolves in water, and you can spray that on your skin. I dissolve Niacinamide in water and alcohol, but I think @Giraffe said niacinamide powder dissolves great in water alone, so you could try that. Those probably work better than most pricier cosmetic products on the market. Solban from Idealabs is also an option, as far as Niacinamide use topically.

If your whole family is getting into Peat's ideas, you could probably invest in a full body red light device. I'm seeing massive beneficial changes (including skin) from using mine. Red Light is also great at treating acne, which I think you mentioned in your other thread. In studies, a combo of red and blue light together were most effective, as the blue was thought to kill acne bacteria, and red to help protect the healthy cells, and minimize damage. Red only was also effective, and might be the better option. Dan Wich's Toxinless.com site has some great resources on Red Light Therapy, including some pretty cheap options.

Aspekt

Hi :)

You can rinse a handful of grated carrot under running water and get rid of a lot of the carotene that way.

milk_lover

I know people are big on raw carrots, but I generally don't get the benefits that people talk about here. Sometimes it constipates me, it tastes so bad I don't enjoy eating it and I don't look forward to eating it. Wish there is something else besides carrots (no cooking is needed) that can do the same job without tasting as meh.

OP
K

Kate

Hi Kate,

Pretty cool that you're getting into Peat's ideas at a young age, as is your family. So as for the orange part.... that could be a sign you aren't processing Beta Carotene properly. I've been getting multicolored organic carrots from Trader Joe's recently.... they are yellow, white, orange and purple. If you eat more of the yellow, white, and purple ones, and fewer orange ones, that should help the problem go away. A local farmer's market may also have something similar. By the way, Peat has mentioned that cooked mushrooms and cooked bamboo shoots have a similar effect. If you mix in a few of those, you could get the benefits and lower your beta carotene burden.

As for vitamin A supplements, I use Thorne, and I also use Retinil from Idealabs. Both are either Retinyl Palmitate or Acetate, and no PUFA carrier oils.

The things that I find best for skin are Niacinamide, Urea, Red Light, and also sun. I used to have serious Keratosis Pilaris when I was a kid, and getting older and sunlight are the two things that did the most to benefit it (of course, you have to avoid burning and damage when doing any sort of sun exposure). Topical Niacinamide and Urea make a noticiable positive difference in my skin in just a couple days. There are pre-made creams and serums with both (always check the other ingredients), but I've been making my own, and they work great. If you can find some USP or comestic grade Urea, it easily dissolves in water, and you can spray that on your skin. I dissolve Niacinamide in water and alcohol, but I think @Giraffe said niacinamide powder dissolves great in water alone, so you could try that. Those probably work better than most pricier cosmetic products on the market. Solban from Idealabs is also an option, as far as Niacinamide use topically.

If your whole family is getting into Peat's ideas, you could probably invest in a full body red light device. I'm seeing massive beneficial changes (including skin) from using mine. Red Light is also great at treating acne, which I think you mentioned in your other thread. In studies, a combo of red and blue light together were most effective, as the blue was thought to kill acne bacteria, and red to help protect the healthy cells, and minimize damage. Red only was also effective, and might be the better option. Dan Wich's Toxinless.com site has some great resources on Red Light Therapy, including some pretty cheap options.

Thank you for your tips!
Recently tried the multicolored carrots. In my opinion they taste better than regular carrots, so i will be sticking with them ^.^
(will look into the Vit A you mentioned!) Also I have recently started eating more dairy
and liver than I ever have in my life and that seems to be helping.
I have also gotten a lot of sun recently and I think that has helped a lot// I tend to be on the paler side (which is why i am so concerned with the orange tinge/ because it only shows up in certain areas X..D)

will def look into the red light stuff too!

Last edited:
OP
K

Kate

I know people are big on raw carrots, but I generally don't get the benefits that people talk about here. Sometimes it constipates me, it tastes so bad I don't enjoy eating it and I don't look forward to eating it. Wish there is something else besides carrots (no cooking is needed) that can do the same job without tasting as meh.

the bamboo shoots and mushrooms is the only other thing that I have heard. I may try the bamboo shoots if I could find them here
I also think think that the multicolored carrots taste better, to me they taste less bitter/more sweet/less hard?

OP
K

Kate

I resolved diarrhea issues that lasted years with sublimed sulfur(flowers of sulfur), its a mild antibiotic, available at healthfood stores. You take a few grams for 3 days, it also helps with lactose intolerance.

NOW - Sulmedol

Acne is complex, and searching this forum will give you some ideas. Things that seem to help are finding the correct amount of vitamin A intake, lowering estrogen, increasing progesterone, good liver function(steady blood sugar) and keeping thyroid function high. Ray Peat has mentioned that unsaturated fat is very good at blocking the thyroid/vitamin A transport protein; transthyretin. When thyroid and vitamin A are blocked, you could have down-regulated pregnenolone production. Pregnenolone is used to produced progesterone and DHEA.

Things to experiment with, most of these would come from daily or weekly liver servings:
Vitamin A intake, start low 2.5K to 5K IU, using on skin is RP preferred method
Vitamin E to reduce estrogen and protect against PUFA - 100 IU to 200 IU to start
Vitamin K for liver health, and calcium metabolism - 1mg
Caffeine for progesterone production and liver health - drinking coffee
Aspirin to block prostaglandins and protect against PUFA - start low maybe 81mg
Niacinamide(B3), can halt FFA oxidation and help liver function (B3 is a tough one, lots of people can have issues with it, when hypothyroid, start low even ~10mg)
Try to keep PUFA below 5g/day, so vitamin A and thyroid get to work
Keeping starch low could help with digestion and reduce endotoxin (lower estrogen), when diarrhea is healed, you could test increasing, rice, potatoes, etc...

When adding new supplements, monitor your sleep, something that decreases restful sleep should be stopped or decreased. Cold feet could mean you have elevated stress hormones; adrenaline and cortisol, working on liver function can help you store more glycogen, which can help keep stress hormones down and increase restful sleep.

My experiments have shown that zero starch and zero fat (so very low PUFA), work to heal my acne. Some of my staples:
skim milk, 0% cottage cheese, OJ, apple juice, ripe fruits, cooked fruits, dried fruits, instant coffee, coconut oil, raw carrot, gelatin

Very helpful, Thank you! :)

Gl;itch.e

ahhhh, ok
Thanks!
In theory rinsing should help, but when I was starting out I still had this problem with extremely well rinsed carrot.

OP
K

Kate

In theory rinsing should help, but when I was starting out I still had this problem with extremely well rinsed carrot.
So I will just have to deal with it for now? is this just a temporary thing, or will I always have this problem
or maybe i should get a tan then the orange parts would be so noticeable

tara

So I will just have to deal with it for now? is this just a temporary thing, or will I always have this problem
I would try the well-rinsed grated carrot and see how it goes. For me it made a big difference. Unrinsed, I'd get averse to the taste within days. Rinsed till the water was clear, I could eat it every day with pleasure, and not get more orange skin.
I think getting enough B12 in the diet makes a difference to being able convert carotene to usable vit A, as well as generally raising metabolism?

Gl;itch.e

Perhaps just try the carrot thing a little less frequently. I still had great results only having a carrot every other day. And you can also try bamboo shoots and mushrooms as well.

L

lollipop

Perhaps just try the carrot thing a little less frequently. I still had great results only having a carrot every other day. And you can also try bamboo shoots and mushrooms as well.
This is consistent with my experience - 3 to 4 days a week works great for me and I adjust well with taste of plain carrot much easier. Using daily, I had to choke down - lol.

Sucrates

Make sure it's refined coconut oil, sometimes products of fermentation cause problems. I think large amounts aren't so good (others might disagree). I prefer well cooked mushroom to carrot, it has a stronger effect too. Use cronometer, I have a feeling you may not be getting enough protein. Above 100g (not including gelatin) is a good start.
My snacks are usually fruit (melon), non-fat strained greek yogurt, sucrose and coffee with added milk powder and sucrose. If you eat a lot of greek yogurt best to strain it again yourself, pop a hole in the bottom, put a cloth or paper towel over the top, place upside down in a colander in a bowl in the fridge for about 6hr. Removes lactic acid and it tastes much better. If you like cottage cheese that's less work, just needs rinsing.
Eat ruminant liver and oysters, 250g and 100g/week.

OP
K

Kate

Thanks!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals