Just Started Taurine, Pretty Good Results

beachbum

Hi Everyone,

I started yesterday, each pill is 500mgs with 10mgs of b6. Now I took it with my coffee first thing in the morning and have energy and good focus/motivation then have something to eat, but craving sweet foods mostly and regular foods ( basically constant hunger but mostly sweets) along with trying to quench my thirst. Then after about for hours I become extremely sleepy, so I take another pill along with my progesterone cream which helped a little with the sleepiness. Is this normal or is my body adjusting. I am wondering it I should eat first. Well it's only the second day, so I will see if it changes. One other thing today not yesterday I took my multi b's so I wonder if that kick my sleepiness in. Yesterday was as sleepy.

Last edited:

meatbag

Hi Everyone,

I started yesterday, each pill is 500mgs with 10mgs of b6. Now I took it with my coffee first thing in the morning and have energy and good focus/motivation then have something to eat, but craving sweet foods mostly and regular foods ( basically constant hunger but mostly sweets) along with trying to quench my thirst. Then after about for hours I become extremely sleepy, so I take another pill along with my progesterone cream which helped a little with the sleepiness. Is this normal or is my body adjusting. I am wondering it I should eat first. Well it's only the second day, so I will see if it changes. One other thing today not yesterday I took my multi b's so I wonder if that kick my sleepiness in. Yesterday was as sleepy.

I think any amino acid can lower blood sugar, so it's a good idea to take it with carbohydrate for sure or else you'll activate stress when the cells sense inadequate glucose

Last edited:
OP
beachbum

beachbum

It seems like Taurine opposes Adrenaline and stuff, it has pro GABA properties; check out all the forum posts on Taurine very cool stuff! I definitely feel really relaxed after taking it, although I only use it occasionally for a few days in a row. Actually just ran out a few days ago

Yeah I did read the other threads and been researching it. I may just buy a full amino acid and take it with extra taurine. The other reason I picked taurine it is the main amino acid that is good for your liver.

I think any amino acid can lower blood sugar, so it's a good idea to take it with carbohydrate for sure or else you'll activate stress when the cells sense inadequate glucose

I was thinking it was a hypoglycemic reaction. So I should eat first..huh. because I did eat but not until 1/2 or so later.

Thank you for your help. Oh I do have to say it does help my achy joints.

opethfeldt

Taurine seems to have done some pretty good things for my digestion. It's good stuff.

opethfeldt

Yes. Me too. It seems it speeds it up? No?

Greatly, yes. I would say things are traveling about twice as fast as before. No more uh...unpleasant odors either. Beyond what you'd expect. Good stuff all around ;)

OP
beachbum

beachbum

Greatly, yes. I would say things are traveling about twice as fast as before. No more uh...unpleasant odors either. Beyond what you'd expect. Good stuff all around ;)
So would that explain the hypoglycemia. Would increased metabolic rate cause hypoglycemia, the body using the nutrients up faster, yes?

opethfeldt

So would that explain the hypoglycemia. Would increased metabolic rate cause hypoglycemia, the body using the nutrients up faster, yes?

The faster your metabolic rate, the faster you will go through nutrients, so yes. If I've learned anything from increasing metabolism, it's that you have to feed your body often to avoid a crash.

OP
beachbum

beachbum

The faster your metabolic rate, the faster you will go through nutrients, so yes. If I've learned anything from increasing metabolism, it's that you have to feed your body often to avoid a crash.
Dang.. That would mean a lot of food for me. Okay. . So mostly carbs would be best or just eat regular meals or what ever I am craving.

opethfeldt

Dang.. That would mean a lot of food for me. Okay. . So mostly carbs would be best or just eat regular meals or what ever I am craving.

I think there is some variation in what works best. You should experiment and use the way you feel to judge how well your diet is working. For me, a high carb, moderate fat and low ish (100-120g) protein diet works best. It's interesting you mention cravings. I definitely eat according to my cravings. If I want sugar, I eat sugar. If I'm craving a burger, I eat the burger. The body isn't stupid and will tell you what you need if you listen to it. Half the reason people have so many health problems these days is because there is a glorification of restriction and deprivation prevalent in society today.

OP
beachbum

beachbum

I think there is some variation in what works best. You should experiment and use the way you feel to judge how well your diet is working. For me, a high carb, moderate fat and low ish (100-120g) protein diet works best. It's interesting you mention cravings. I definitely eat according to my cravings. If I want sugar, I eat sugar. If I'm craving a burger, I eat the burger. The body isn't stupid and will tell you what you need if you listen to it. Half the reason people have so many health problems these days is because there is a glorification of restriction and deprivation prevalent in society today.
I do eat what I crave most often, but what I was asking while taking taurine does it matter what to eat to reduce the hypoglycemic effect or just eat...lol sorry if I am confusing you.

Giraffe

Some amino acids trigger insulin release. Taurine does so. The insulin enables your muscles and fat tissue to take up glucose, and when your levels were low to begin with (as in the fasted state), it will lower your blood sugar too much. Make sure to have carbs, too, when you eat protein. If you take isolated amino acids (e.g. taurine powder), it's probably safer to ingest them after a meal.

If you only became sleepy, it was probably not hypoglycemia. Headaches, increased heart beat, anxiety are possible symptoms of hypoglycemia.

Last edited:
OP
beachbum

beachbum

Some amino acids trigger insulin release. Taurine does so. The insulin enables your muscles and fat tissue to take up glucose, and when your levels were low to begin with (as in the fasted state), it will lower your blood sugar too much. Make sure to have carbs, too, when you eat protein. If you take isolated amino acids (e.g. taurine powder), it probably safer to ingest them after a meal.

If you just got sleepy, it was probably not hypoglycemia. Headaches, increased heart beat, anxiety are possible symptoms of hypoglycemia.
Thank you. That was very nice detail. Okay. Then maybe the sleepiness was from the b vitamins, but I did read sleepiness as a symptom also. What you mentioned is what happens in the middle of my sleep along with sweats. I am starting to think I don't eat enough or the right foods.

Giraffe

Then maybe the sleepiness was from the b vitamins, but I did read sleepiness as a symptom also.
Could it be that you were just very, very relaxed? :)

What you mentioned is what happens in the middle of my sleep along with sweats. I am starting to think I don't eat enough or the right foods.
You can try if it helps to have a little snack before bed, maybe some warm milk with a little added sugar and salt. If you wake up during the night eat or drink something sugary.

OP
beachbum

beachbum

Could it be that you were just very, very relaxed? :)

You can try if it helps to have a little snack before bed, maybe some warm milk with a little added sugar and salt. If you wake up during the night eat or drink something sugary.

I think taking the multi b with it is what made the sleepiness kick in. I did the snack thing. Maybe by I need more to eat.

OP
beachbum

beachbum

I think taking the multi b with it is what made the sleepiness kick in. I did the snack thing. Maybe by I need more to eat.
I am finding out my b complex isn't working for me, it makes me sleepy most times or crazy hungry and agitated, so now it just us small doses of b1 which make me feel good. So the b complex was making me sleepy at times.

OP
beachbum

beachbum

I am finding out taurine helps a lot with my joint pain.

milk_lover

Ok please hear me out.. I am not trying to bash on taurine, but from my personal experience, I think taurine is little bit overrated in this forum. Just getting that off my chest.

Elysium

I average 10 000 mg a day, and I feel nothing. I'm on a fourth brand, just to be sure it wasn't the specific manufacturer. Three of them, including the current, were just pure powder with no additives. The current 1kg bag is also probably my last attempt - I feel like I'm taking a snake oil.

Honestly I wonder what effect could 500mg possibly have. It's a miniscule amount for a protein, and god knows how much of it actually gets absorbed, given its synthetic. So I wonder whther perhaps there could be a placebo effect at play here?

Btw really hard to find info on when/how it should be taken. I seem to recall someone saying consuming it with other proteins is no good, but I dont know why and I can't find it. Taking it first thing in the morning with just coffee - isnt it just gonna used for energy - thus missing the point?

Last edited: