Losing Weight Sensibly Vs. Eating Slight Surplus

HDD

The latest Herb Doctor interview has a long discussion on weight loss from a caller. One of the things mentioned that I am trying to incorporate is having carrots with my meals. I normally have them away from meals. Dr. Peat said that they bind fats and are helpful for losing weight. He also talked about keeping the temperature high 98.6-99 and that it shouldn't drop too low during the night. He said progesterone is helpful in setting the temperature since estrogen lowers temperature. The conversation with the caller was quite thorough and worth listening to.

Giraffe

What is your opinion/experience? Is it better to lose weight sensibly as in eating to satiety and never more or is it better to eat slightly more food to support metabolism regardless of hunger? I chose the latter and I have been steadily putting on some weight without increase in my basal temperature unfortunately so I'm considering the first option. My concern is with more fat cells -more estrogen which then leads to more fat cells and even more estrogen. Thoughts?

Other lifestyle factors not related to nutrition probably play a major role here as well, but they all fundamentally relate to stress. Stress is the key variable.
:+1

If it was me, I would opt for eating until satiety, incorporating a little more movement in my daily routine, and getting stress down the best possible. Peat mentioned that calcium can help with weight loss or keeping a healthy body weight. @scarlettsmum, have you checked your Ca : P ratio?

zztr

Truly counting calories seems a bit crazy to me. I mean, you'd have to weigh everything you eat for it to be accurate. It makes more sense to eat a monotonous diet, and then simply reduce portion sizes until fat loss commences. Eat exactly the same thing for breakfast and lunch every day, and then have ten or so different dinners you cycle through. If you're not leaning out, reduce serving size.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

Two other things you might want to look into if you've got a bad back:
Foundation Training – Check out the Free Resources link to see some YouTube videos. It's an exercise just for the back. It's quick to do, and feels really good, but man, is it tough.
T-Tapp - Similar to Pilates but more effective and efficient, I think. I've been doing it for a long time (well, intermittently).
Thank, you I will have a look.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

The latest Herb Doctor interview has a long discussion on weight loss from a caller. One of the things mentioned that I am trying to incorporate is having carrots with my meals. I normally have them away from meals. Dr. Peat said that they bind fats and are helpful for losing weight. He also talked about keeping the temperature high 98.6-99 and that it shouldn't drop too low during the night. He said progesterone is helpful in setting the temperature since estrogen lowers temperature. The conversation with the caller was quite thorough and worth listening to.
Thank you very much, where can I find this interview? I am taking progesterone E two weeks on and off but my temps are still only high 35's. I thought that we should limit ourselves to just one carrot daily due to carotene? I have to listen this interview! :)

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

:+1

If it was me, I would opt for eating until satiety, incorporating a little more movement in my daily routine, and getting stress down the best possible. Peat mentioned that calcium can help with weight loss or keeping a healthy body weight. @scarlettsmum, have you checked your Ca : P ratio?

Yes, that's how feel, far more sensible than calorie counting. I did have my Ca:P ratio checked about a year ago and P was quite high. I do eat lost of diary but I also consume lots of white flour, so not ideal.

Truly counting calories seems a bit crazy to me. I mean, you'd have to weigh everything you eat for it to be accurate. It makes more sense to eat a monotonous diet, and then simply reduce portion sizes until fat loss commences. Eat exactly the same thing for breakfast and lunch every day, and then have ten or so different dinners you cycle through. If you're not leaning out, reduce serving size.

I agree and I am already pretty much doing that, diet being fairly monotonous and I hope that with being more aware of my hunger signals I will manage to lose some weight.

Melt method helps fix things too.
What is melt method?

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

Two other things you might want to look into if you've got a bad back:
Foundation Training – Check out the Free Resources link to see some YouTube videos. It's an exercise just for the back. It's quick to do, and feels really good, but man, is it tough.
T-Tapp - Similar to Pilates but more effective and efficient, I think. I've been doing it for a long time (well, intermittently).

Melt method helps fix things too.

so i just looked at both the t tapp and melt method. Never heard of them, both look great, unfortunately no practitioners for either of these in my country so I'd have to learn from the dvd's or books. Do you think it's possible?

denise

so i just looked at both the t tapp and melt method. Never heard of them, both look great, unfortunately no practitioners for either of these in my country so I'd have to learn from the dvd's or books. Do you think it's possible?
You can definitely learn T-Tapp from the DVDs. Unfortunately, the way that they describe, name, and market the various DVDs on the website is not at all clear for someone brand new to it, so if you want any advice about where to start, let me know and I'll send you a PM about it. There's also a pretty active forum of users and trainers that can be a great help if you have questions, and most trainers will do webcast sessions if at some point you want to check your form or whatever. The thing I like about it is that it's gentle but also powerful, and it requires no equipment whatsoever.

tara

what do you guys think about the way chronometer estimates BMR? worth believing them or not?
Cronometer has no specific information to estimate a particular individual's BMR. I expect there are many people with BMRs as low as they estimate, especially chronic restrictive or cyclic restrictive dieters. Not what I'm aiming for, though.

HLP

Absolutely I did

denise

Actually, I was thinking the same. Once I cut out having eggs every morning, I felt a lot more incontrol of my hunger. Although, I do find myself having intense salt cravings from time to time...that might lead me to a small bag of salt and vinegar chips lol.
I just came across this on another thread [my emphasis]:
And Kate Deering just posted this on facebook:

".....In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements. It should be remembered that amino acids, especially in eggs, stimulate insulin secretion, and that this can cause hypoglycemia, which in turn causes cortisol secretion. Eating fruit (or other carbohydrate), coconut oil, and salt at the same meal will decrease this effect of the protein.

This makes perfect sense, because the only times eggs affect me this way are if I eat them somewhat in isolation (maybe 8 oz OJ and some coffee), whereas when I used to eat them always with toast and/or hashbrowns, I didn't have a problem. So I guess maybe if I just have enough OJ (I seem to recall that Peat always has a lot of OJ with his eggs--at least a pint), I could eat them without this effect? Maybe I'll give it a shot. I like eggs, and they're cheap and easy, so it would be nice to figure this out.

@whodathunkit , do you get the same effect from eggs if you have plenty of carbs/salt/oil with them? Or have you tested it?

whodathunkit

@whodathunkit , do you get the same effect from eggs if you have plenty of carbs/salt/oil with them? Or have you tested it?
I haven't noticed it as a blood sugar issue, per se, but a preponderance of PUFA in any one meal does tend to shorten the time I'm satisfied with my food/not hungry. The chronic munchies I get when eating really carby + PUFA-y combos like oats + raisins is startling.

I can't recall my reactions to eggs when I was doing low-carb. Dunno if I've blacked out that horrible time or what. :lol: Or maybe it was just that eventually I got hungry and stayed that way, so couldn't differentiate between the effects of this or that.

One thing I used to do quite a bit that I thought was a "Peaty cheat" was fry some rice in coconut oil, crack a couple of eggs into that, then stir it around while the eggs cooked a bit. Wash it down with OJ. Quite tasty. I haven't done it in a while, though, so I don't remember the satiety factor. I'll test it soon and see what I think. Or you can and see what happens. :)

denise

One thing I used to do quite a bit that I thought was a "Peaty cheat" was fry some rice in coconut oil, crack a couple of eggs into that, then stir it around while the eggs cooked a bit. Wash it down with OJ. Quite tasty. I haven't done it in a while, though, so I don't remember the satiety factor. I'll test it soon and see what I think. Or you can and see what happens. :)
Yesterday, I tested having two eggs and a pint of OJ (rather than my usual 8 oz.) and it did help, although not 100%, but it was way too much liquid. I generally have 2 cups of coffee too, and drinking over a quart of liquid within an hour is just too much. I think I'll just have to stick with having some potatoes or toast with my eggs (or try your eggs/rice idea).

ilpmusic

In my opinion a slight deficit in calories is the best and the way to achieve this is to track your calories. If you say "I want to lose weight" and you just cut out some junk, you may lose weight but you may not. You're just guessing.

Track your calories for a few weeks and figure out how much you normally eat. Once you have established a baseline, adjust your calories down by 500 or so. This will result in slow and steady fat loss.

Your baseline can change depending on your activity level, the type of foods you eat, what supplements you take and what kind of fat you have stored, but under normal circumstances it probably won't change too much.

If you have a lot of PUFA stored (you'd be guessing at this) then releasing that PUFA may alter your thyroid function and potentially lower the amount of calories you burn.

If you find your baseline and start dieting but at the same time add 1 hour of walking a day and weights a few times a week, your baseline is going to change.

A slight deficit, enough that you consistently lose 0.5-2 pounds a week, but also enough food that you're not constantly hungry, is the best way to lose weight.

You don't want your metabolism to drop with your reduction in calories. Thyroid can help with this and getting enough sugar can also help with this. Get enough fat to keep you full but not so much that you displace protein and carbohydrates. Protein should be 80+ (my opinion).

When I first started "Peating" I lost 45 pounds in 8 months by eating 2,200 to 2,500 calories. I didn't exercise at all but I did take cynomel. I focused heavily on fruit, dairy and coffee. My protein was around 100g, my fat was around 60g and my PUFA was around 3g. I don't work at a desk though, I am standing all day.

A friend of mine usually does a yearly "cut" before summer. He gains 10 or so pounds over the winter and when spring comes just drops his calories to 2,200-2,400. He also drops his fat really low and walks a lot. He was 170lbs when he started this season (maybe 4-6 weeks ago) and is down to 159lbs already (at 5'10"). Every season it seems to get easier for him (his PUFA is always really low so I imagine he doesn't have much stored). He does have a physical job where he walks a lot and he takes thyroid.

Both myself and my friend have noticed that if you cut calories and take thyroid, somehow you don't get hungry whereas if you cut calories and don't take thyroid you get hungry easier. Not sure why this is, as it seems like it should be the opposite, but Ray mentioned once that he used to eat an insane amount of calories and when he started thyroid his caloric requirement dropped significantly.

Anyway, don't be afraid to lower your calories (if you want to lose weight), just don't lower them too much. Track your calories so you don't waste your time. Not only does tracking help you to not over eat but it also helps you to not under eat.
What is "he takes thyroid" mean? Is that a supplement? What does it do?

sladerunner69

Thanks, Diokine! Very helpful.

FWIW, experimentation with mushrooms as a prebiotic lets me know they have powerful effects on the immune system. Lots of people with immune dysfunction have a hard time tolerating any mushroom products. So long-term daily use may not be productive. This is the case with me, although sporadic use doesn't cause me problems.

Im confused, if mushrooms cause you problems then how come "SPOREadic" use doesn't give you any problems??? :troll:

schultz

What is "he takes thyroid" mean? Is that a supplement? What does it do?

In his case it's cynomel, T3, the active thyroid hormone. When you drop your calories your body tends to lower the amount of thyroid you produce so using a thyroid supplement can help prevent this.

Btw the person I mentioned in that last post is down to 151 lbs now. I'm not sure he has much more fat to lose lol.