How To Peatarian Wash The Hair?

Syncopated

Best shampoo is 20 mule team borax (8 heaping tablespoons boiled in a gallon of water distilled or RO water)
Best rinse is citric acid (1/4 teaspoon in a 16 ounce container for males, 1/2 teaspoon in 32 ounce container for female's long hair)

Shampoo is easy to use, just apply, lather(doesn't foam) and rinse.

Rinse is left in 60 seconds. I personally rinse it citric acid out with cold water and it leaves the hair soft.

Gelatin for gel.

Luann

Water only is very doable as long as you don't have hard water, or you use an acid rinse, like a few drops of lemon juice or some vinegar, after you scrub your scalp. That takes care of the hard water. Hair will look clean again. It's the magnesium and calcium buildups that stick to otherwise unnoticeable sebum, and cause that waxy look.
DrJ said he used aspirin powder to wash, and indeed aspirin tablets work great as an acid rinse at the end. Powder would be ultimately better because it has no talc, corn starch to plug up the scalp.

Luann

How are people doing with their no-poo? Easy? Greasy? Great?

J

James IV

It's been about 4 months now since I washed my hair with anything besides water. I don't anticipate washing it again except in extraordinary circumstances, like getting sprayed by a skunk or something.

Queequeg

I read somewhere that bar soap is much better for hair than shampoo. I use olive oil soap and my hair is doing much better than with shampoo.

javin

Mostly just water. Sometimes shikakai powder mixed into water (works great as a mild cleanser). Sometimes egg yolk and a bit of egg white beaten (works great as a stronger cleanser). Sometimes apple cider vinegar (idk what it's good for but I use it sometimes anyway).

Haven't used shampoo or conditioner for quite a while.

I brush my hair daily with both boar bristle and wooden bristle brushes and that helps make my hair nice and distribute the natural oils as well.

I use a vitamin C filter and a carbon filter in my shower to help improve the water quality.

A. squamosa

I tried not shampooing but three weeks in my hair and scalp were disgusting. I use the 'WORLD' brand, it's Canadian. All natural, really good (in case anyone is like me and no shampoo just makes you gross). I tried making my own shampoo but it didn't work, and the vinegar just burned my skin (my skin is super sensitive).

mjrm

how are women with long hair approaching this topic? is there anything that would need to be specifically different?

Luann

My hair's pretty long, like four inches past the shoulders. Some days it looks ok, other days it's limp and awkward. Not using tap water helps because our tap water is hard and it builds up and looks weird.

There are white girl bloggers out there who make no-poo or water only look bad because they have stringy hair. Black girls and this Asian girl with Latin style hair pull it off because their hair is so thick. Starting to think that's a huge factor in going no-poo: hair thickness. Whether that can be enhanced through the diet, we'll see lol

Last edited:

Luann

Still having grease problems. I wanna try coffee again...last time, I tried using a dark roast, which maybe was why my hair stayed oily. Dark coffee is pretty oily. Gonna try a blond roast because household acids really give my hair that clean feel without shampoo, but my aspirin powder had a filler in it that makes the hair rough and it seems silly to get a whole new jar if coffee works ok.

J

James IV

To add to this, I happen to look at my calendar and it's been almost a year since I used soap, deodorant, or any product of any kind (other than a few isolated instances) Had no idea it had been that long.
I'll say that I've learned "washing" with water makes my skin and hair worse. I literally just let water run over my head and face, and towel dry. My hair feels super soft majority of time, and skin pretty much takes care of itself. No one is the wiser. I go camping a lot , and it's SO nice that I don't have to worry about getting greasy from not showering.

Elysium

To add to this, I happen to look at my calendar and it's been almost a year since I used soap, deodorant, or any product of any kind (other than a few isolated instances) Had no idea it had been that long.

The gas mask...I see what you did there

J

James IV

The gas mask...I see what you did there

Contrary to Lincoln's attire, I actually don't smell like a dirty hippy. I stopped smelling after my body got used to not having to constantly keep up with washing off it's natural antimicrobial protection.

Elysium

This doesn't make that much sense. If you want to tak natural, smelling is what living creatures are designed to do. If the skin has any antimicrobial protection, it is there to protect the skin, not to give you a pleasant or no odor. Nature smells, it is a sign of life (including the death decay, which is just a sign of another life).

So my guess would be that you just can't smell your own odor, which is also natural. Neither bears or homeless people are that much aware of their own scent as that serves very little purpose in the design of things.

Sorry but you can't have it both ways.

Queequeg

have you ever seen two dogs say hello? Smell is extremely important in human interaction as well.

J

James IV

This doesn't make that much sense. If you want to tak natural, smelling is what living creatures are designed to do. If the skin has any antimicrobial protection, it is there to protect the skin, not to give you a pleasant or no odor. Nature smells, it is a sign of life (including the death decay, which is just a sign of another life).

So my guess would be that you just can't smell your own odor, which is also natural. Neither bears or homeless people are that much aware of their own scent as that serves very little purpose in the design of things.

Sorry but you can't have it both ways.

Smelling bad is not the same as having a scent. I'd imagine unhealthy people probably have more unpleasant scents than healthy people do. I don't smell bad. I really don't smell like anything. I've asked many folks just to make sure. Girlfriend always says I just smell like "skin." Trust me, my buddies would tell me real quick if I stunk, especially on road trips.
Animals generally don't have their scent because of bacteria, they are designed to give off certain smells. Have you ever smelled a terrified dog, they smell terrible. Fur keeps bacteria at bay very well. And sunlight is a powerful antimicrobial. A lot of homless people's smell is due to their clothes, and the environment on thier skin and hair.
Water is more than enough to keep skin clean, and I wash my cloths.

Last edited by a moderator:

marcar72

I just keep my head shaved short with a pair of clippers, and I scrub my head with the same wash cloth I bathe with. Aaarrrggggg!!.... :p

Luann

@James IV @daisyjane thanks for the tips and james i would love to live like that-- not concerned about other people, feeling clean over all, needing little, being outdoors.

Tried the blond coffee rinse last night. After six hours of drying my hair felt oily but then it dried mostly normal - a little flat. As the day went on my hair got really frizzy and lost any trace of its shine, it looked rough. It's cleaner now than just using water would make it, though.

Am thinking about getting a wooden comb - it's said to reduce static and breakage from brushing, and to spread oil down the hairs. Lot of good things being said about wooden combs. I'll let you guys know.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals