Intra/during Workout Drink (sports/weightlifting/activities)

Wanted to get some ideas here for a weight lifting drink, but also curious to know how one might adjust a drink for other activities cause not everyone here lifts.

Some drinks can get really complex with ingredients or as simple as sugar water with some bcaa's.

For weight lifting I see some popular products with:
-essential amino acid powder (around 8-15g)
-carbs of some type (15-35g)
-citrulline (2-4g)
-lecuine (2-4g)
-sodium or other electrolytes 100mg-800mg

Other ingredients others might use in products : glutamine, taurine, creatine, beta alanine, carnitine, agmatine, lysine, arginine, ornithine, gaba, glycine, some vitamins, minerals, etc.

-What other types ingredients might be good to add to a workout drink for light or intense exercise?

-It's convenient to get eaa powder but would it be more ideal to buy separate aminos due to some eaa's being non Peat friendly?
Or bcaa's good enough for aminos during activity? Interested to know some good amino combinations.

Curious to hear what you think about ideal drinks and for what type activity... even a party drink :D

TheHound

all I use is maybe 16 oz of water + 4 oz of orange juice + 3 tablespoons of sugar + half a teaspoon of salt. this is my intra workout drink

Rand56

I keep it simple. Half milk, half OJ. Couple teaspoons of sugar, and just a few shakes with the salt shaker. Works for me.

Regina

Wanted to get some ideas here for a weight lifting drink, but also curious to know how one might adjust a drink for other activities cause not everyone here lifts.

Some drinks can get really complex with ingredients or as simple as sugar water with some bcaa's.

For weight lifting I see some popular products with:
-essential amino acid powder (around 8-15g)
-carbs of some type (15-35g)
-citrulline (2-4g)
-lecuine (2-4g)
-sodium or other electrolytes 100mg-800mg

Other ingredients others might use in products : glutamine, taurine, creatine, beta alanine, carnitine, agmatine, lysine, arginine, ornithine, gaba, glycine, some vitamins, minerals, etc.

-What other types ingredients might be good to add to a workout drink for light or intense exercise?

-It's convenient to get eaa powder but would it be more ideal to buy separate aminos due to some eaa's being non Peat friendly?
Or bcaa's good enough for aminos during activity? Interested to know some good amino combinations.

Curious to hear what you think about ideal drinks and for what type activity... even a party drink :D
+ inosine and + salt?? (minus glutamine, arginine and carnitine)

DavidGardner

I always use 4 g creatine and 3-5 g BCAA's (2:1:1). I would not recommend using leucine without a proportionate amount of the other BCAA's. I say this b/c I used the 4:1:1 mix for awhile and felt tweaked on it without as good effect in the gym. I sometimes also add glycine or glutamine in varying amount to counteract the stimulant effect of the BCAA's. Citrulline will increase nitric oxide.

stevrd

I usually take some thyroid before a workout because working out is transiently thyroid-suppressive.

The main goal of supplements around a workout should be for the purpose of preventing the rise in cortisol, or at the very least reducing the amount of cortisol secreted. This will also accomplish the objective of reducing serotonin release, and elevated cortisol from low blood glucose rapidly breaks down muscle tissue, releasing tryptophan and increasing serotonin. Once cortisol is elevated to bring glucose up, serotonin subsequently elevates, setting in feelings of fatigue. This can also be exacerbated by lactic acid. Glucose proportionally prevents this, and is the most important tool for this job.

My workout drink is:
-2 tablespoons of Tang (for carbs and inhibiting cortisol release)- note, if nothing else, carbs are the most important!
-1 tsp BCAAS (to inhibit exercise-induced serotonin- which increases the feeling of fatigue).
-1 tsp salt

benaoao

1tbsp MCT oil, 1 serving of BCAA and .5tsp baking soda. Dextrose postWO

Last edited:

Arrade

Any opinions on original gatorade? It uses dextrose which I read is chemically identical to glucose, not to mention some salt for hyrdation.

David90

My Intra-Workout Drink is Carbonated Water (300-500ml) combined with OJ (not from Concentrate, around 200-250ml) and a bit of Salt (optional, i put also Coconut Water in it)

It's Anti-Cortisol, Anti-Low Blood Sugar and Bumps Up CO2 .....:handok: